Oversimplified SCP - Ch. 117 - SCP-710-JP

Because they don’t know how many bullets have been shot or when and where so they can’t really contain the already fired gunshots

why is this keter?

I think because even if it is contained now, it won't be at some point in the future and the effects of that can be felt in the present so it is effectively not completely containable.

Contributor
@ken_ngo There is a Time Traveling hitman(s) moving around hitting targets at random points of time using this SCP.

@ken_ngo unless the scp gets destroyed in the future. Its existence means an infinite amount of bullets possibly being fired at any point in time at any place. If say someone had the gun sometime in the future and had access to the US white house, they could go to the oval office and set the guns 'shooting date' to points in time where every united states president would have sat on the oval office chair, effectively killing any president he wanted

Fed-Kun's army
You could also use it as a tool to counter itself. Fire a bullet into the same time and place but in the opposite direction.

@Kanol the timing needed for that would be impossible. First you'd need to know the exact moment and angle it was firing from which they don't know either.

Aggregator gang
A normal person would need to actually gain access to the places before shooting the bullet and would also need to know where the target would be positioned, bit since the assassin is a time traveler it's no problem for them

Fed-Kun's army
@Wolfwhistler Just an example, but you've got all the time in the world to make that 'impossible' shot. Honestly the fact that it can fire into the past is the biggest issue. You could just fire bullets into the wall of the room before something is supposed to happen and alter the course of history simply by making everyone in said room gtfo. Or you could write messages on the bullets and fire them into a pre prepared Gel stop in the past.

Dex-chan lover
...this strikes me as Euclid at most, if my understanding of the locked box test is correct.

Dex-chan lover
so, this is classified as keter because you don't know when and where the shot will come. from the future or from the past into the current present.

Fed-Kun's army
@endo54
The ability to shoot in the future is still very Safe. If you have the recorded date, location, and angle, you can just cover up the shot and keep it contained. It's the ability to shoot into the past that makes it Keter. The whole time traveling aspect of it means that it is either perfectly Safe or fully Keter. If there are no signs of it being fired from the future into the present (i.e. no unconfirmed shots fired by the SCP at the location), then it is completely safe since it will never breach containment. However, as soon as there is an instance of it being fired from the future, this means that it is 100% uncontained. It will breach containment sometime in the future and there is no method to contain shots coming from the future. Hence, it is Keter.

The only question is whether the shots into the past can change the future. EX: gun was confirmed keter and they place it under maximum security. Does this security mean that they are now in a situation where the gun doesn't breach containment? Or does the gun still breach containment anyways? Or does the fact that it's under max security > it doesn't breach containment > no message is sent to the past so it's under minimum security > it breaches containment > bullets are fired into the past > it gets declared as keter > they place it under max security create a timeloop?

To be honest, if I was the Foundation, I would actually get somebody to go to the locations, fire the bullets, resolve the timeloop, and cover it with as many locks and barriers as possible. Then hope like hell that I don't get another report of 710-JP breaching containment.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Iheart
@endo54 What makes it "keter" is that it's impossible to contain because they know it will breach containment.
A world destroying red button the fundation could just store away safely would be classified as "safe", just as a gummy bear that randomly teleported out of containment would be classified as "keter"

http://www.scp-wiki.net/object-classes

Users who are viewing this thread