Peerless Alchemist - Ch. 61

Ooof these chapter lengths are killing me like girl was mid sentence and the chapter ended

Oh god, why do they use words like "pros" that don't belong and break immersion?

Dex-chan lover
"Let's set three rules for now:"

1. Cliffhanger
2. ...

Shouldve killed atleast one elder so they know true fear and you wont back down killing your own scum-milies

Double-page supporter
I wonder, based on how this story has been going so far, will they wait until she has left the estate, or will they start plotting against her immediately the moment she steps outside... (Can't imagine them actually behaving)

@PaterFrog, I totally agree with you. It really grinds my gears, too.
@Arvadiel, Imagine a knight saying "pro". Doesn't feel right, does it? :)
Pro has a modern ring to it. Doesn't suit the setting at all.

Dex-chan lover
Cripple them all! And then we can rebuild them. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Better. Stronger. Faster.

@Arvadiel @DonGiovanni

To not use contractions (at least in the English and German languages, though I suspect the same would be true of all languages due to social dynamics) is and was a sign of higher education, intelligence and care for one's own appearance. It's designed to give a specific impression, because other people will notice it and that it's an intentional thing, something planned and premeditated. And so, the more effortless it appears, the longer that person must have been of higher status, the more power he must possess.

That's why the usage of contractions in stories and translations is actually something to be carefully considered. It works great in school manga for example, due to the natural feel of it. It will break immersion in stories where the MC is supposed to be a respectable person of some form, or simply an elevated one.

Double-page supporter
The protagonist at least has an excuse for eventually using modern language, as I'd be led to believe that she was isekai'd from a modern-ish world.
As for this specific case I guess it's just an inappropriate choice of words from the translators. (I think it would be better as "experts" or "skilled men", though not "professionals", as it differs from what the translators seem to be going for)

Aggregator gang
At this point I just can't say if these guys will wise up. I'm leaning towards they will just find some way to be even stupider

Users who are viewing this thread