Yamada and Kase-san. - Ch. 38 - Curry rice and Kase-san (part 1)

Dex-chan lover
And yet some people in real life are spineless enough to bend backwards and do what others want, if anything is absurd is the fact that Kase constantly screws up but suffers no consequences, although some people in real life are as spineless and as forgiving as Yamada, so I guess they match.
…Yeah, that’s exactly what it is.

And yet some people in real life are spineless enough to bend backwards and do what others want, if anything is absurd is the fact that Kase constantly screws up but suffers no consequences, although some people in real life are as spineless and as forgiving as Yamada, so I guess they match.

Any way, I don't think that Kase screws up so often, on the contrary. I just read the whole two series this last month and her only mistake in 3 years of relationship was in the last arc. And in an extremely difficult situation to her.

Recapitulating, and from her point of view (a japanese adult woman, written by an older one):

-Personal debt with Fukami, for not having collaborated in the room's tasks and for having found out from third parties. here come the concept of ("giri", 義理).

-Social pressure from her dorm and teammates. What they call ("sekentei", 世間体) Appealing to her sense of group harmony (wa, 和). Furthermore, after the march she has to continue seeing them and working with them every day at the university. They are not roommates that you leave and never see again.

-An also a figure of authority (Inoue) ordering the race. There is the relationship "senpai-kohai" (先輩後輩). a relationship that implies respect and obedience. Inoue didn't even ask her, directly said "it's decided", clearly an authority abuse.

Things so important in their daily lives that they even have their own name.

I think we are all agree that the last arc was awful and stupid, there isn't discussion about it. It's like the author forced her to "accept" due to absurd manga shenanigans.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Any way, I don't think that Kase screws up so often, on the contrary. I just read the whole two series this last month and her only mistake in 3 years of relationship was in the last arc. And in an extremely difficult situation to her.
That's not her only mistake though, she has more, like when she attacked that actor due to jealously, the race is just her biggest mistake.
Recapitulating, and from her point of view (a japanese adult woman, written by an older one):

-Personal debt with Fukami, for not having collaborated in the room's tasks and for having found out from third parties. here come the concept of ("giri", 義理).

-Social pressure from her dorm and teammates. What they call ("sekentei", 世間体) Appealing to her sense of group harmony (wa, 和). Furthermore, after the march she has to continue seeing them and working with them every day at the university. They are not roommates that you leave and never see again.

-An also a figure of authority (Inoue) ordering the race. There is the relationship "senpai-kohai" (先輩後輩). a relationship that implies respect and obedience. Inoue didn't even ask her, directly said "it's decided", clearly an authority abuse.

Things so important in their daily lives that they even have their own name.

I think we are all agree that the last arc was awful and stupid, there isn't discussion about it. It's like the author forced her to "accept" due to absurd manga shenanigans.
It was a stupid arc, but I feel the really absurd part isn't she accepting the race, but that Yamada didn't even get angry over losing the apartment.

I feel people excuse it too much as manga shenanigans, some people  are this stupid in real life, unfortunately, never underestimate human stupidity.

That's not her only mistake though, she has more, like when she attacked that actor due to jealously, the race is just her biggest mistake.
Well, she sure overreacted, but you saw a Stud giving flowers to your girlfirend and calling her Yui-chan... I'd be jealous too :ROFLMAO:

It was a stupid arc, but I feel the really absurd part isn't she accepting the race, but that Yamada didn't even get angry over losing the apartment.

I feel people excuse it too much as manga shenanigans, some people  are this stupid in real life, unfortunately, never underestimate human stupidity.

I think Yamada wasn't angry because she understands that Kase was forced to accept the race. When she did get upset and had the meltdown was when she saw that it was at Fukami's request.
In the end Yamada is happier for living in the same building as Mikawa and Kase hates that. Maybe mild, but it's something

Dex-chan lover
Well, she sure overreacted, but you saw a Stud giving flowers to your girlfirend and calling her Yui-chan... I'd be jealous too :ROFLMAO:
Being jealous is fine, but she attacked the poor dude lol
I think Yamada wasn't angry because she understands that Kase was forced to accept the race. When she did get upset and had the meltdown was when she saw that it was at Fukami's request.
In the end Yamada is happier for living in the same building as Mikawa and Kase hates that. Maybe mild, but it's sosomething
Yeah, I guess that's how we're supposed to take it, Yamada was always portrayed as understanding and happily accepting Kase no matter what happens, I forgot how she had reacted when she saw it was Fukami request.
I also forgot about Mikawa being in the same building lol

@Thrembs I've read an article somewhere that criticized yuri as often "being queer with no queer identity". And honestly this perfectly discribes settings like the school in Whisper me a Love Song where every single character is gay (even the "died for the sake of Shiho's backstory"-girl). Luckily GL like How Do We Relationship, Even Though We're Adults or A Joyful Life also exist. Or something like My Girlfriend's Not Here Today, like the whole cheating plot happens because queer couples can't be as openly affectionate as straight couples. I do think Yuri is also getting less tropey and moves away from "b-but we're both girls" to "I think I'm gay", like the MC in She Loves To Cook, She Loves To Eat taking to google and reading articles about same-sex attraction and starting to watch movies with lesbian romance after she realizes that she is falling in love with another woman feels real in a way that a highschool where every single girl is gay just does not. And on some level yuri like this has always existed. Like Hanjuku Joshi by Morishima Akiko which came out in 2008 where the main couple both were previously in love with other girls, so they are explicitly not their first but their second loves, which not only helps flesh out their backstories but also cements their identies.

Like don't get me wrong, I do also like to read about perfect fantasy worlds where no one has even heard of homophobia sometimes but ultimately they are often kind of shallow.

Kase not just coming out to her college roommate to explain to her about her "boyfriend" in the previous arc is perfectly realistic, so I would say that Yamada to Kase-san does have queer identity. Even if the whole race thing was kind of dumb 😂 but overall this is really far from the most annoying yuri manga. And everyone who is calling Kase the worst girlfriend in yuri history clearly has never read any toxic yuri, just saying 🙃

Tbh I completely lost the thread and have no idea where I was even going with this comment 😂 read Our Dreams At Dusk if you want to read a truly great LGBTQ manga. Imo one of the best queer coming of age stories in any medium.
Im in love with the villainess also addresses queer identity pretty nicely, though it doesn’t go as in depth as how do we relationship, there’s scenes where the mc recognizes the prejudice against gay people, but instead of hiding she actually fights against it and is open about her gayness which is pretty nice. It even addresses trans people too and that’s like rarely seen in manga in general, not just yuri.

Funny that How do we relationship and Im in love with the villainess happen to be my favorite yuri. I guess I just really like some nuance over every character being magically gay like in whisper me a love song lmao (even tho I like it too.)

Users who are viewing this thread