Peerless Alchemist

@ipmanvsthemask
If I was to bet, it is a translation problem with the terms, not everything can be exactly translated or just the mythology over use the term, here in Brazil, most myths are about pranksters, we even have a story about the Amazon river dolphin, in which he transform into a man in a white suit to get girls pregnant. So, if it was to be translated or made into a story, prankster and mischief would be common words/themes.
But that is just my guess.

Dex-chan lover
@terminus
I think the title should be quite self-explanatory even without knowing that much about past Chinese government structures. It clearly is someone who governs an entire state, the country being divided into a number of those - clearly not that many considering his power and influence, with that state being then divided into cities, like our heroine's city, and most likely some other smaller regions.
Something amongst lines of
Emperor>state master>city lord>=?
and real life comparisons would be say from Feudal era of Europe
King>duke>count
or modern day USA
President>governor>mayor
As Ji Feng Yan has been directly appointed by the Emperor, no one really aside from him can do anything about her actions. The emperor's word being the law in ancient China and most likely in this world too, it clearly being based on historical China. This is why not even the crown-princess has done anything directly against her, atleast so far. Who knows if every city lord is appointed directly by the crown or if others are appointed by the state masters. So far there hasn't been much world building in this fashion, but it might just be because the author being Chinese, presumes that the readers, being Chinese too, would know all of this already.
Also I doubt that the titles translate that well into English anyhow.

Any1 Know about what chapter in the novel the manga is at? I started the Novel a while back and forgot where im at and now i've read this and dont wanna reread everything.

Dex-chan lover
she have so much power...that feel like no threat at all... but it is a great story if you read a depressing story beforehand XD

Dex-chan lover
I get that this is a story. And in that, drama is needed.
But why does the 'drama' always come down to "people bein' dicks"?

Dex-chan lover
@Vasqueztion
Because that's how the Chinese do. Always. All the time.
That being said, I don't think that "people being dicks" is the issue, but the quality of it. There's a difference between someone who actively schemes behind everyone's back, and fucks with his opponents in underhanded ways (especially if his targets end up undoing themselves) -- and then, there's the other type of a dick, who's someone who just straight up walks to the MC and explains for 3 pages straight just how much a piece of garbage they are, and then immediately get their asses kicked.

In both cases, you have an example of a mega-dick. But one is clever, while the other is just plain dumb.
And as you saw, the "stupid idiot" gets us instant-gratification in the form of immediate ass-kicking. Which gets you more viewers. So I to somewhat answered your question...That's kinda why authors make use of them. Yay?

@Madologist
I tried not to think about it the entire time I was reading the story...But it's hilarious to think that someone like a Governor would have the EQ of a child. Especially in such a meritocratic field.
I know that male-authors do the same thing with their female characters, turn their heroines into children, but to be fair, at least the women are actual children most of the time. This guy is who-knows-how old, and he actively wraps himself around the MC's finger as if he hungers for mummy's affection. While adorable to an extent, that trope definitely does not translate well between genres... <:

@MarceloYuri
P.S: You, and ya'll, may want to read the "shoujo" Xianxia-parody novel: "My Disciple Died Yet Again".

If this goes where I think it is going, my wet dream of this kind of isekai/reincarnate OP MC is finally coming to reality, where the OP MC takes an apprentice.

Fed-Kun's army
It's a fun story. But not like there aren't issues.

The story has so many males in this it isn't even funny. It's like those bad harem stories you can find where the MC for some weird reason has a bunch of girls frolicking around him. But this takes it up a notch. Not a single female we've seen that's not a background character has been nice. Maybe if you want to count the royal concubine but we only see her for a chapter and I don't think she has any words either. There are moments like some vampire kid where you'd expect a female but it turns out to be a male. Honestly, That vampire kid should've just been a loli. It's not that the male characters are all badly done or anything. It's just that it'd be nice if we got the MC having a female friend. Also, I love yuri so... Yeah. A bit of a personal opinion. But I'd ship both the MC and the girl from the Lei family we've seen around the current chapters of 53.

Sometimes the people can be too dumb to be believable or too aragont. I will admit one thing though, Near the current chapter of 53, We get a scene with the Jei family selling the MC's stuff and it did realyl start getting me riled up with how obnoxious the family is.

I do like the romance though surprisingly.

Still a fun story to read with it's two biggest issues for me.

+20 more chapter please :D

FEAR St. Elmo's Fire ?

p.s.
@SovietWeeb this is more aimed for girls that why so much (men) eye candy............

i have seen the future
yi chen's old master is going to try to claim recipies she will teach yi chen as his own and get majorly wrekt. te he?

FEAR St. Elmo's Fire ?

Wow... i can't explain.. It's been a splendid experience reading till current chapter. TBH i got tired of reading OP male lead.. This was exactly the dose i needed to balance it...

@clark7580 Yeah, I know what you mean.

She's OP as well in her own way, mind, but doesn't seem to use it quote as blatantly. It's what I think is a good part of the reason it's refreshing from the standard Male OP Cultivator story after reading a couple of stories that have a similar plot (soul from another time/world takes over a bullied young lady's body in her moment of despair, swears to get back at the original body's oppressors).

I think it's The Sneaky and the political/family maneuvering that makes this sort of story a nice change of pace, as opposed to 'hah hah! You thought I was just a THREE Star Heavenly Body Cultivator? SURPRISE! I AM ACTUALLY FOOOOOUR STARS! Behold my Heavenly Big Lotus Bang Attack!' 'WHAAAAAAT! NOOOOOO!' stuff that can show up normally in martial arts and cultivation stories. Still get a bit of it, but it's a side dish, not the main course, so to speak, in my opinion.

Plus the amusement value of watching everyone run around like headless chickens frantically trying to deal with the Outside Context Problem that the formerly easily-bullied young Miss turns into.

Why are most manhuas childish? LMAO! Storytelling is always subpar with over-the-top MCs.

Users who are viewing this thread