pokemon go is ruined

Dex-chan lover
xf62s3.png

https://twistedvoxel.com/pokemon-go-update-alters-player-avatar-appearance-backlash/

Dex-chan lover
Someday some of these subcultures might become popular, and enjoy a brief heyday of exposing a large number of people to their good phase before they become shit. Then everyone will reminisce about them. That's just how it goes.
-anon
what do you think guys

Dex-chan lover
panda sempai please explain.
One - the change in the image you posted is just... bad. And most of the ones in the article you linked aren't much better. Not sure how Niantic didn't look at this and go 'wait, this looks terrible, we should rethink this,' but it's hilarious they didn't.

Two - as bad as the model updates are, some of the player reactions are over the top. 'Seriously considering deleting this game.' Really? You're going to blow away how many years of time spent on the game because of a bad model update? I mean, do what you want, but damn.

Three - I am going to take a wild guess that this has exactly zero effect on the actual game play (also known as the bit that matters), which means this is a bunch of folks getting worked up over a cosmetic change... that may well get rolled back in short order, for all anyone outside Niantic knows.

Four - anytime the Pokemon community gets worked into a lather, I get amusement from that. Pokemon was released in the US in September of 1998, otherwise known as 'a month into my first semester of college,' and I have had zero involvement with the games or the cartoon or any of it. I've been able to watch the entire life cycle of the franchise here in the US as an adult, and I have never once regretted being too old to 'get it.' Seeing an entire generation of folks raised on the franchise (some of whom are otherwise seemingly sane, rational adults) go to pieces every time something changes is like nectar and ambrosia. (I may, in fact, be an asshole this way.)

Dex-chan lover
One - the change in the image you posted is just... bad. And most of the ones in the article you linked aren't much better. Not sure how Niantic didn't look at this and go 'wait, this looks terrible, we should rethink this,' but it's hilarious they didn't.

Two - as bad as the model updates are, some of the player reactions are over the top. 'Seriously considering deleting this game.' Really? You're going to blow away how many years of time spent on the game because of a bad model update? I mean, do what you want, but damn.

Three - I am going to take a wild guess that this has exactly zero effect on the actual game play (also known as the bit that matters), which means this is a bunch of folks getting worked up over a cosmetic change... that may well get rolled back in short order, for all anyone outside Niantic knows.

Four - anytime the Pokemon community gets worked into a lather, I get amusement from that. Pokemon was released in the US in September of 1998, otherwise known as 'a month into my first semester of college,' and I have had zero involvement with the games or the cartoon or any of it. I've been able to watch the entire life cycle of the franchise here in the US as an adult, and I have never once regretted being too old to 'get it.' Seeing an entire generation of folks raised on the franchise (some of whom are otherwise seemingly sane, rational adults) go to pieces every time something changes is like nectar and ambrosia. (I may, in fact, be an asshole this way.)
that's a brilliant breakdown.
what i'm concerned is about the aesthetic/ character design. past few years i've seen governments talk about anime content
[it was about goblin slayer]
you also know about the stellar blade character design which is based on an irl model Shin Jae-eun being attacked.
also rezero3 is censoring its character designs.
i like anime and manga content a lot due to its quirky nature but if that appeal is gone idk what would happen to such a medium i adore a lot.
this is a genuine concern i try to stay away from stuff like this most of the time

Dex-chan lover
what i'm concerned is about the aesthetic/ character design. past few years i've seen governments talk about anime content
[it was about goblin slayer]
you also know about the stellar blade character design which is based on an irl model Shin Jae-eun being attacked.
also rezero3 is censoring its character designs.
i like anime and manga content a lot due to its quirky nature but if that appeal is gone idk what would happen to such a medium i adore a lot.
this is a genuine concern i try to stay away from stuff like this most of the time
I don't generally get worried about the government sticking their fingers into things like that, at least here in the US, since there are enough free speech (or 'free speech,' if you prefer) advocates that it's hard to get any sort of top-down censorship in place. Also, if there's no money (more properly, not enough money) in it, most legislators aren't really interested.

If the community itself wants to change direction, that's another matter, but given that would be far from universal, it's not like there won't be a number of folks who refuse to change. These kinds of trends come and go, so if you don't like where we're headed, wait a bit - it'll change.

Dex-chan lover
Pokemon was released in the US in September of 1998, otherwise known as 'a month into my first semester of college
omg i knew you were old but Jesus Christ you're ancient
I actually thought he was in his mid-fifties.

Also, I'm surprised people even still care about this game. I thought it was such a dumb concept when it came out.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I mean, he's only a couple of years older than my sister. I thought he was in his mid-fifties.
...unsure how to feel about this... particularly since my 'birthday' is in my profile. :boomer:

...is she single?

Also, I'm surprised people even still care about this game. I thought it was such a dumb concept when it came out.
I'm not surprised it's had such a long run - the prior game Niantic did (Ingress) had a pretty dedicated (albeit smaller) following for years, so they clearly figured out something about how to hook the audience for the game style there. Add Pokemon into that formula and I'd be more surprised if it didn't have a long life.

Dex-chan lover
...unsure how to feel about this... particularly since my 'birthday' is in my profile. :boomer:

...is she single?
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend if I did. I don't know why, I just thought you were around that age.

And, my sister is not single. A couple years ago she got remarried to some sixty year old guy.

Interestingly though, Her kids from her first marriage are older than his kid from his first marriage.

Users who are viewing this thread