Portrait of Queen Berta - Ch. 4.5

I read this in one go, this is an amazing story, and the MC is hella smart and strong willed!

Thank you so so much for translating and sharing this with us!

The massive inbreeding has made them crazy. And unable to have children between first cousins. I mean it’s nature saying hey how about someone not related to you maybe?

Glad we got to see this chapter to understand where Marg is coming from. She was raised with a very intolerant view of others and then she spent 15 years in a foreign country with so much pressure, expectation, and heartbreak. No wonder she has manifested into the villainess. Hope she can change herself and become BFFs with the MC one day but...don't see that happening lmao 😅🙏✨

I understand where she’s coming from, but also, I disprove of breeding amongst cousins, so I couldn’t care less about her.

Dex-chan lover
Margarita is a pretty Tragic character.
Nice to see some of her backstory.

@Thifa
Because of political factions bickering.

i feel sad for her bc her life has been somewhat (?) tragic up to this point and will get even more tragic if the story continues as projected (i.e. king falls in love w berta lol) but also her attitude towards other people is so inexcusable lol u can’t treat people like they are less than just bc they exist... anyways fingers crossed she eventually does the usual noblewoman thing of retiring to a nunnery or whatever idk wishing her happiness away from all normal people <3 thank u for the translation!!

Not surprised that she cannot escape her imprinted views. People were killed in the millions just 75 years ago just because their blood was not pure. Of course in a medieval setting about a royal lineage the "purity" of blood would be like the end-all-be-all.
Besides she is like 30, even if she tries to love the child because of the husband I think she can't change no matter what, as it was said.
But for him it's possible, since he always lived with the duality of being of impure blood.

Fed-Kun's army
what a pitiful queen... Sadly I don't think she will get a HE. She will never have a child and she is beyond help with her obsession

Dex-chan lover
@Reyven
why did the other women who were noble couldn't conceive?
it's explain in the novel, the other women were all chosen by the queen and come from her family or at least her clan. It's strongly imply there are all relative at some degree.

The other half of the harem is the daughter of lords. since the king have many concubine, many lord try to put in their daughter but the queen ask him to not touch them and he didn't to please the queen.

Dex-chan lover
It's really tragic she can't give him a child. I believe in Incest is Wincest, but only once for multiple generations . Her broken mind and infertility is just proof of that, which is why she can't she the Crown Prince as legitimate even thought she doesn't think the same of the king.

Double-page supporter
I do like the dualaity of most of the main characters in this series so far (well apart from Berta really for now at least). Marg. really does love Harold, but is far too obsessed with the idea of pure blood which causes her to be delusional.

Dex-chan lover
Margarita is a unfortunate character, she's the product of years of essentially, brainwashing, if there wasn't a child involved i'd say let time heal those wounds but with the fate of a child being involved it's best to deal with margarita as soon as possible, hopefully she get's some form of happen ending, but in the end if she doesn't, she still made her choice.

People are like "I see were she comes from..." bigotry? Arianism? Bruh knowing how she feels in no way, shape or form excuse or justify her pure blood bs. She was a sad princess away from her country? Boo hoo, imagine how Berta feels having to deal with your awful vassals demanding to take her kid to fix all the inbreeding you guys were doing.

You would imagine that after over a decade of pointing out noble girls (wich obviously she picked by being also a clusterfuck of inbreed) to fuck with him with no result and baby Louis being conceived and just 3 days someone would get a clue.... sorry no sympathy to her.

Honestly she could just end herself out of sadness or whatever but of course she will stick around being an inconvenience.

@beazacha I don't understand how they feel bad for her when no harm has come to her except the same pain Berta's mom and the queen mother and thousands of women suffered without once planning to abuse a newborn.

She's really not that tragic of a character. She has challenges and her mother really messed her up but: her fiance loved her from the start, she has power as queen, she's not experiencing any actual strife from outside forces. Berta's arrival: they needed her as a wealth injection. Margarita lives lavishly so I'm certain she knows how deeply quid pro quo the exchange is. Instead, she disrespects Berta by not even acknowledging her until she decides to steal the baby. She's cruel and stupid and ungrateful. If she were 18 and a new queen, we could forgive some of that. But she's 30 and the entire inner palace runs on her command and the king listens to her every word. Notice how after Harold came to take the baby on Margarita's command and then changed his mind, Margarita still kept trying to take the baby until the Queen Mother's visit. That's how political Margarita is. Yet she chose not to acknowledge a political ally, Berta, except when she wanted to harm her beloved husband's child.

She's not some naive innocent with mental anguish. How could she be when she calmly plans to harm a newborn. She knows exactly what she's doing and her flawed thinking isn't as sympathetic as the comment section seems to think it is

Your average plebian would just never understand.
pk1ygqhw9as21.png

it's the way she was kinda shitty since before bc of her upbringing and instead of realizing that shes wrong she just continued the mindset and now we're here🥴🥴🥴

@imtaciturn
@Kingdo
TyTy to both of ya'll based on that info I'll just assume they got the worst luck in the world to hit the 6.25% every time or that before this their parents passed on an infertile gene.

@Reyven gotta admit that they do got bad luck if none of the ladies are able to conceive. i assume there are a lot of ladies so higher chance of pregnancy but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread