Raise wa Tanin ga Ii - Vol. 8 Ch. 32.2 - Your Lover, Your Weapon, Your Substitute [2]

Dex-chan lover
Tbh I haven’t understood what’s happening for a while now, so let me know if these are wrong?
  • Someone’s out to kill Soumei gramps for years, tried to kill him once but wrongly got Yoshino’s dad instead
  • That someone is back in the hunt again this year, where they have better chance of usurping power since Yakuza leadership is changing anyway. “Someone” is planning to kill them on their way out. Is this right?
  • Yoshino was sent to Tokyo in anticipation of this
  • Azami is a lackey sent to kill Soumei gramps, but also has this weird fascination for Yoshino so in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone— proposes to Yoshino to get closer to Soumei gramps to eventually kill him
Correct?

A few days after Yoshino arrived in Tokyo there was an accident with some punks, they tried to hit on her or some shit and they got violent, Kirishima arrived and after giving them a good "talking" scaring and scarring them for life, like the good little psycho he is, he reveals his true face to Yoshino.

He talks some smack to her saying how she is dull and uninteresting, and how she could sell herself to prostitution bla bla bla yadda yadda, so... what our girl does? She takes a two week absence from school, finds a back alley doctor, sells one of her kidneys to get money and gives it to him... in school... right in their classroom, and that is when he truly fell in love with her... can't blame him.

During her absence he didn't try to find her, he didn't even register her absence, because to him during that time... she was boring.

That is what Yoshino is talking about, the thing that she sees them as being similar, the guy that kidnapped her here could very well kill her or leave her be if he thinks she is boring, and do the same if he found her interesting.

Both he and Kirishima aren't right in the heads, I do agree that Kirishima now loves Yoshino very much, but he admitted he doesn't know how long this could keep going.

Edit... almost forgot to say... Yoshino didn't really got one of her kidneys taken, she asked her cousin (forgot her name) for help, her family owns a pharmaceutical company and hospitals, so she has contacts, but she knows too that living without a kidney is tough, so instead she made the doctor just take some of Yoshino's blood, it was a lot, even enough to cause heavy anemia (to fake recuperation from surgery), but not enough to kill her... she(the cousin) still has the blood stored, as a keepsake... yeah, our girl has problems with the people around her.

Oh, and Kirishima asked to buy the blood from her... she refused... Jesus, Yoshino is a freak magnet.
OMGG thank u i totally had forgotten about all that!!

Dex-chan lover
Wtf is up with that convenient newspaper clipping on page 5?? Are you telling me this guy's been holding onto that in his back pocket for years, waiting for the right moment to rock Yoshina's world? Crazy.
By which I mean lame plot device :p

Also maybe I'm only noticing now, but this episode was full of repeated backgrounds and face shots that were basically the same :/
I compiled some of them in a google drive folder, in case anyone's interested what exactly I mean
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1egLXILKZOQT34dulGs2wg7kXg-v6L77x?usp=drive_link

Dex-chan lover
Wtf is up with that convenient newspaper clipping on page 5?? Are you telling me this guy's been holding onto that in his back pocket for years, waiting for the right moment to rock Yoshina's world? Crazy.
By which I mean lame plot device :p

Also maybe I'm only noticing now, but this episode was full of repeated backgrounds and face shots that were basically the same :/
I compiled some of them in a google drive folder, in case anyone's interested what exactly I mean
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1egLXILKZOQT34dulGs2wg7kXg-v6L77x?usp=drive_link
Totally feel this. With the hiatuses between chapters in the past few years and the subsequent lag in scanlations, it's easy to forget details. We only know this stuff off the top of our heads because we're like steeped in it.

The clipping didn't just magically appear and he wasn't hanging onto it, it was just a background storyline that was dribbled out over time and got a bit lost in the shuffle. The actual fuck is this:

In CH 26 he and Yoshino are talking about the truck that crashed into the Kirigaya headquarters, which apparenlty piqued Shouma's interest and is probably why in CH 28 he goes to talk to one of his contacts and finds out about a weird accident that happened with a truck 20yrs prior. The guy who did it is released from prison and subsequently killed according to the scanlations.

In CH 29 Shouma goes to visit his family's graves and stops by the Somei plot, notices there's a discrepancy in the death dates he knows and what's on the stones. He calls Yoshino, who is like 'Bruh, my dad died like months before I was born' and he's all 'Nah, kid, the dates don't lie I'll get the old man to confirm'. He checks out her mom's family plot and notices a posthumous Buddhist name and since Kyosuke was likely adopted by Hirota family and the death date is verrrry close to the year of Kyosuke's, he's curious.

In CH 30 he goes to the library, looks up old news papers, makes a copy of the article about an attack on the Somei house that aligns with the death date on the Hirota marker. He calls Yoshino to tell her what he's figured out, just after Azami has tossed her phone in the bushes.

Then comes the kidnapping (CH 30-31), Azami tells Yoshino her dad's death was not an accident, the escape, they're sitting int eh hospital, and now Shouma has more proof in his pocket. It is a bit deus ex machina but on the other hand it kind of makes sense that things would be happening pretty quickly, but he definitley wasn't hiding it from her, he was learning it too.

So like it felt like five years with all the hiatuses and scanlation lags, but the time between him figuring shit out and getting the article was maybe a few weeks then between getting the article and showing it to her was like less than a day.

The repeated backgrounds and faces have been a thing since the start and it's something a lot of mangaka do-- the faces for comedic effect, the backgrounds because literally they're a pain in the ass to draw so why not.

Admire your dedication to this thing, though. Got a blog? We'd love to check it out!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Totally feel this. With the hiatuses between chapters in the past few years and the subsequent lag in scanlations, it's easy to forget details. We only know this stuff off the top of our heads because we're like steeped in it.

The clipping didn't just magically appear and he wasn't hanging onto it, it was just a background storyline that was dribbled out over time and got a bit lost in the shuffle. The actual fuck is this:

In CH 26 he and Yoshino are talking about the truck that crashed into the Kirigaya headquarters, which apparenlty piqued Shouma's interest and is probably why in CH 28 he goes to talk to one of his contacts and finds out about a weird accident that happened with a truck 20yrs prior. The guy who did it is released from prison and subsequently killed according to the scanlations.

In CH 29 Shouma goes to visit his family's graves and stops by the Somei plot, notices there's a discrepancy in the death dates he knows and what's on the stones. He calls Yoshino, who is like 'Bruh, my dad died like months before I was born' and he's all 'Nah, kid, the dates don't lie I'll get the old man to confirm'. He checks out her mom's family plot and notices a posthumous Buddhist name and since Kyosuke was likely adopted by Hirota family and the death date is verrrry close to the year of Kyosuke's, he's curious.

In CH 30 he goes to the library, looks up old news papers, makes a copy of the article about an attack on the Somei house that aligns with the death date on the Hirota marker. He calls Yoshino to tell her what he's figured out, just after Azami has tossed her phone in the bushes.

Then comes the kidnapping (CH 30-31), Azami tells Yoshino her dad's death was not an accident, the escape, they're sitting int eh hospital, and now Shouma has more proof in his pocket. It is a bit deus ex machina but on the other hand it kind of makes sense that things would be happening pretty quickly, but he definitley wasn't hiding it from her, he was learning it too.

So like it felt like five years with all the hiatuses and scanlation lags, but the time between him figuring shit out and getting the article was maybe a few weeks then between getting the article and showing it to her was like less than a day.

The repeated backgrounds and faces have been a thing since the start and it's something a lot of mangaka do-- the faces for comedic effect, the backgrounds because literally they're a pain in the ass to draw so why not.

Admire your dedication to this thing, though. Got a blog? We'd love to check it out!
Thanks for the explanation, you went into way more detail than you had to and I'm so grateful you did! I totally missed that subplot, but now I'm hella excited to reread this story and see what else I missed.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the explanation, you went into way more detail than you had to and I'm so grateful you did! I totally missed that subplot, but now I'm hella excited to reread this story and see what else I missed.
Cheers, friend. Happy to help! Enjoy your reread. 💝

Next update is on U.S. Labor Day and since it's Shouma-less we're low key sobbing but we'll get through this together. 😭

Double-page supporter
Backstory!!!!

• Azami is a lackey sent to kill Soumei gramps, but also has this weird fascination for Yoshino so in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone— proposes to Yoshino to get closer to Soumei gramps to eventually kill him
I got the feeling Azami has some kind of personal grudge against gramps or the Somei family, and he volunteered for this job. I can't remember if there have been any specific hints but I've always assumed the scar on his face has something to do with the Somei family or Yoshino. Though I assume she would remember him better if she had personally caused the scar.

Users who are viewing this thread