Reader Not Working on Firefox :fixed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm running an old version of Firefox (56.0.2) but up until today the reader was working. Now it just tries to load pages forever without anything showing up. Did something change recently reader wise or do I need to bite the bullet and use a different browser?

@Crimwear same for me but i'm on chrome so i think the servers are fucked, once again

@Danila well that's honestly reassuring. I really don't want to upgrade my Firefox (hate the new version) and I'm not a big fan of Chrome either however I did test on Chrome and the reader worked which made me worried it was my version of Firefox now incompatible with the reader.

I am having same issue. The chapter info loads correctly (manga title chapter number page number drop down) but the page it self just spinning circle endlessly. Using MS Edge.

Same here, endless loading on firefox 52.9.0 but it works fine on chrome 88.0.4324.190 .

By chance, are any of you using a script blocker of some sort? I was having that issue starting an hour ago, posted about it in the discord, thought I had all my bases covered. Checked my script blocker, noticed a URL I have never seen called mangadex . network (without the spaces) and unblocked it. Cleared the issue right up.

I don't have any script blockers, but am also incapable of reading chapters on Firefox.

@Squall868 I don't think I am. I only run ublock but I disabled it and tried again and nothing. I'll be honest I'm not savvy enough to know how to manually check scripts and if they're blocked naturally or not.

Dex-chan lover
Firefox version less than 57 doesn't support experimental AbortController API, and there is
ReferenceError: AbortController is not defined
error in browser console. I've just checked it on clean Windows 10 virtual machine with fresh Firefox 56.0.2 installation (i.e. no add-ons / ad-blockers etc. - a stock configuration). Got the same error in browser console. It would be nice if the scripts could load polyfills for old browsers that don't support an experimental API (see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/AbortController#browser_compatibility). A notable example would be iOS Safari version older than 12.2 (released March 25, 2019). Not supporting two-years old browsers seems a bit too extreme for me.

Dex-chan lover
What version of FF you guys are using because I checked using both mobile and desktop (ver 86) and everything loads fine.

Update your browser and extensions if you haven't done so already, disable any adblock or scriptblock running for MD as well. A good way to check if any addons, extensions, or settings are interfering with MD is to browse the site using Safe Mode. Also check MD using other browsers to make sure it's just the browser and not your device that is bugging out. Eg if you use the default browser, FF, and Chrome and none can load MD, you should know it's your device that's having problems.

Dex-chan lover
@Yatsuki
What version of FF you guys are using
Wasn't that mentioned? Grimwear said:
I know I'm running an old version of Firefox (56.0.2)
Anthony said:
endless loading on firefox 52.9.0
I'm using 56.0.2 and I've checked that it doesn't work on fresh install on fresh machine with fresh Firefox without any blockers / plugins / whatsoever.
Update your browser and extensions
And that's the catch: a lot of extensions made for the old browsers don't work with newer browsers because Firefox team broke them all when updated to version 57. If that wasn't the case, we would have all been using newest versions and there wouldn't be any issue to begin with.

@jdjohndoe13 you seem to know what you're talking about but I am in no way knowledgeable enough to understand it so I'll just ask a couple questions.

1) Is there something I can do on my end to fix it and make it work again on Firefox?
2) Is there something Mangadex can do to make it work again?
3) Is it too big a job and likely to never be fixed and I should just give up now and swap browsers?

Dex-chan lover
@Grimwear
1) Is there something I can do on my end to fix it and make it work again on Firefox?
No. Non-intrusive fix: use another browser or download and install a portable version of Firefox and use it while devs don't fix the reader for the old browsers.
Alternative: download and install the new version of Firefox and say goodbye to all your old add-ons.
2) Is there something Mangadex can do to make it work again?
Yes. They should roll back the reader changes they've made in the last 12 hours or so and meanwhile try to look for a polyfill for an experimental AbortController API.
3) Is it too big a job and likely to never be fixed and I should just give up now and swap browsers?
It worked yesterday, so most likely it's not too much job for MangaDex staff to rollback the changes in order to not break browser support for users of the old browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread