Reader zoom issues [Fixed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
- You can no longer tap to proceed to the next or previous page while zoomed in. I'm now required to always reset my zoom first before continuing, creating an additional unnecessary step.
I agree with your point, but to piggy back on this, I think a feature to disable tapping to proceed to the next page would be cool too. I sometimes click on accident when zooming in and would go to the next chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Also with the zooming, I found that some times it won’t allow me to scroll down the chapter while in zoom like there is some limit, that makes me need to rezoom again and again, >.> that is annoying since some mangas I need to have it zoomed 90% of the time.

I also use the reader slightly zoomed in on mobile to make it easier to read small panels and immediately noticed that inertial scroll had been taken away. I agree that the reset box is unnecessary on mobile since it's easier just to pinch to zoom out than to tap a small area. Great to see the site getting updates though! 😎👍

Edit: issue is easily reproducible when in long strip mode and zooming in at any page besides the first page. It seems like the zoom origin is page 1, not the location I'm zooming on with my fingers. This is on mobile, haven't tried it on PC.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Hi guys at MD! Is it possible somehow to disable zoom? I really prefer when I can zoom the whole tab both on mobile and windows 10 chrome sinse I'm visually impaired and, with the touchscreen zooming and moving the page around is a bit laggy

I agree with your point, but to piggy back on this, I think a feature to disable tapping to proceed to the next page would be cool too. I sometimes click on accident when zooming in and would go to the next chapter.
I don't mess with a lot of the changes you can make but it was my understanding this was already an available option. I could be wrong though.

This is already a thing.
It can be changed in the reader. Bring up the settings > click "Reader Setting" > then "Behaviors".

The setting you want to change are: "Automatically advance chapter on last page" set to DISABLE.

Also have a look at "Turn pages by tapping" I have it set to Never.

Dex-chan lover
This is already a thing.
It can be changed in the reader. Bring up the settings > click "Reader Setting" > then "Behaviors".

The setting you want to change are: "Automatically advance chapter on last page" set to DISABLE.

Also have a look at "Turn pages by tapping" I have it set to Never.
oh wow, never knew that. Thanks guys!

Dex-chan lover
The mobile experience is quite bad compared to what it used to be and honestly might be a deal breaker for me.

- Zoom is still inconsistent on multiple devices. I'm using chrome on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and still experience odd and inconsistent zooming.

- I like to zoom in a little and swipe through the more comfortably sized images before moving to the next chapter. There are a few new problems introduced with that.

- The reset button. Offers little convenience for quite an annoyance that's now in my line of site over top of the content I'm trying to absorb. Pinching your screen to get back to the original image size is almost equally as much effort as pressing a button. Outside of completely fair accessibility concerns.

- You can no longer tap to proceed to the next or previous page while zoomed in. I'm now required to always reset my zoom first before continuing, creating an additional unnecessary step.

- Lastly the scroll speed of the zoomed in imagine is considerably lower than it was previously. You used to have a very fluid, quick and responsive scroll speed but now where I could previously just hold my thumb and move to navigate, panning through sections, now it takes multiple slow full swipes to move anywhere on a zoomed page.

Hoping to see some changes soon. Keep up the good work
This happens to me too on laptop, as I use a touchscreen. I like to zoom a little too so I don't strain my eyes so much and sinse I can't just zoom the whole page like I used to it's quite bothersome

I can't turn pages while zooming, the reset button's spoils the view and moving while zooming's slow since the update i find really unpleasant to read, there hadn't problem before

I think this is still broken when reading long strip comics. Zooming in causes weird scrolling and doesn't zoom in where expected. Tested on two different devices.
yeah I’m having the same issue. Also trying to move the page around when zoomed in isn’t as smooth as it was before the update

Dex-chan lover
I’m not sorry by saying this, give us a Toggle so we can use the Android OR IOS zoom function on mobile! mangadex zoom can’t compare to that function it’s FAR from smooth like on IOS and the weird reset botton get’s in the way PLUS other weird bugs that can be getting rid of by just not toggling the zoom function.

Contributor
Why was zooming reimplemented anyway? The more it acts like a normal webpage, the more intuitive the UI is, because it acts like everything else on the same device. Adding custom zoom will add more code, more bugs, and more inconsistencies with the platform. What was the intention with this feature?

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Another update is going live in the next couple of days to resolve longstrip zoom issues + not being able to change pages while zoomed in, and the reset zoom button is being removed.
Why was zooming reimplemented anyway?
Because the native browser zoom also magnifies the sidebar and the header, which makes them unusable when zoomed in. Scaling the image separately from the UI removes this issue. If you look at apps like Tachiyomi, this is how they handle it - it's a bit more awkward to do it in a browser, but it's nicer to use.

EDIT: Last nights update should have resolved this issue.

Dex-chan lover
The image only zoom is gone for me now in long strip mode on iOS, and it feels so smooth and good again. If you ever decide to add that back in please allow us to disable it, because even when disregarding the bugs it just felt bad.

I am still having issues with the zoom (longstrip in chrome on android). I usually only zoom in to make it easier to read some of the smaller text, but generally read fully zoomed out. When zooming in it goes up the strip and not to the panel or few that I am trying to get a better look at.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I am still having issues with the zoom (longstrip in chrome on android). I usually only zoom in to make it easier to read some of the smaller text, but generally read fully zoomed out. When zooming in it goes up the strip and not to the panel or few that I am trying to get a better look at.
Close your MD tab, open a new one, check it again. That should have been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread