Record of Ragnarok - Vol. 5 Ch. 19.1 - The Swallow Gazes Into The Abyss

Dex-chan lover
I'm currently on chapter 170 of Vagabond and that made this fight even more epic. God damn this is amazing.

I am just disappointed of the people here that shit talk this Manga just because a Japanese is will win first.
You dumbasses are reading JAPANESE stories, and you complain about them. It's like questioning why the Protagonist of an AMERICAN show isn't a FRENCH.

no matter the outcome of this fight, the cry babies just keep dropping the toxic comments...

Fed-Kun's army
I think my biggest problem is how predictable it was, I couldn't even enjoy the ride to the moment.
Maybe I was tainted with prior knowledge from people talking about it, but yeah I got in for jack and couldn't even make it to him.
I don't even mind, it's likely for the best.

yo imagine if this wasnt just manga and actually occured- and you witnessed it in person... shit would have been hype as fuck

This has not been said, but to Kojiro, Poseidon is just a much bigger, and an entirely different type of swallow.

Dex-chan lover
Predictable.
Mankind when united can defeat the gods themselves!
Or at least japanese heroes can?
I feel like the outcome is very disappointing and not because of a little patriotism, that I can understand (though it is unnerving how commonly manga promote the SUPERIOR culture of Japan. Im looking at you isekai).
No what bothers me is how the stake of the match got lowered all of a sudden. We go from a father that fights to the bitter end to protect his family, to a swordmaster who find amusement in battle and wish to win for once. See? the second is less impactful and I cant understand why the author chose this fight as the first win of mankind.
The fight was good nonetheless but everything that happens outside of matches is very forgettable.

@LordTartaros

No what bothers me is how the stake of the match got lowered all of a sudden.

Stake lowered how? Last I checked the fight was still for the survival of humanity. The influential drive from the audience may differ, but to state that the stake was lowered is disingenuous.

and I cant understand why the author chose this fight as the first win of mankind.

I can. Although there is a more familial attachment with Adam, the manga is not solely about him. He fought Zeus and that was it. There was no major inner turmoil between the two parties. Yes Adam is the father of mankind, and that brings along an emotional factor into the battle, but unlike Adam, Zeus presented little to nothing. We are given no backstory that would build up the fight ( Other than beating his father and taking his move, of which isnt anything major). Or should we clap silly and cream our pants simply because Zeus is presented at the top of the hierarchy? No we shouldn't. Adam was great, but Zeus wasnt.

Unlike here we have a battle of ideologies. Not only was the fight visually great, but we have Poseidon being pitied not because of his skill, but because his lack of emotional attachments. Poseidon is presented as not only perfect but feared, and given the flashback with his brother, it shows that hes held such beliefs ever sense his birth. Gonna go on a quick tangent here The 13 brother just wanted to be loved and presumably by mainly Poseidon. As shown with his brief childhood he seemed to love disposed, and to not be given love back it must of been one of the driving forces for his change.Tangent end

We have Poseidon who has known no hardship and is self declared to be perfect. Which in terms of combat capability is earned to a degree. On the other hand we have someone who has known only hardship and with it has continuously mastered his craft, and you can dare say perfected it. And thats the biggest difference between the two. We have Poseidon claiming that hes perfect but if hes known no hardship let alone has held no emotional attachments, how credible really is his self induced title of perfect? On the other hand we have someone who has BECOME perfect, and that gives him credibly.

So as you say the fight was very much predictable. Because the person that had to go through a journey to reach perfection will always be better than someone that claims perfection.

Aggregator gang
Honestly, I'm not mad. Every media from every country depicts their country as greater. I'm just glad that even through that patriotic nature, we got the best fight so far out of it.

Dex-chan lover
@starch12313 When I say that the stake got lowered Im talking about the emotional involvment of the character into the fight. Adam is the first to really fight with clear goal in mind to save mankind. Sasaki fights because he has something to prove, it is a less noble reason. However I agree that the synergy between the character is the best so far. It's not that Im criticizing but solely the outcome. The victory has less symbolic value in a story with a mythic theme than if Adam were to win. It would be the liberation of the creature from the grasp of her creator. There we got the victory of the hard work versus the genius. A good theme but common, predictable and thus less impactful.
I think the first victory of a man over a god should be remembered and that's why Im surprised the author chose this fight over Adam's.

Users who are viewing this thread