Rent-A-Girlfriend - Ch. 316 - The Girlfriend And The Invitation (3)

Fed-Kun's army
I'm really curious about which scans are more authentic -- these, or the ones from cubari/Kmanga. The language is not the same.
In these scans, he uses the words "get you to like me," but in the cubari scans he says "get you to fall in love with me." The latter is basically a confession.
In these scans, he also explicitly states "to me mizuhara and ichinose are the same person," but in the other scanlation, those aren't the words he uses.
Like do I have to start learning Japanese to get an accurate translation? Why are they so different?
Translation is interpretation. Each translator understands the source language and the destination in their own subjective way. When you read anything translated, you're reading it through someone else's lens. Language is also culture, and words in some languages don't have proper equivalencies in others. In english, "like" and "love" are distinct in intensity, but japanese uses "suki" for most of that spectrum. Choosing when to translate "suki" as like, or love, is again, just interpretation.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm just gonna drop the manga here because as an ending this is probably the best we're gonna get as them being a couple unless we wait another 150 chapters.

Translation is interpretation. Each translator understands the source language and the destination in their own subjective way. When you read anything translated, you're reading it through someone else's lens. Language is also culture, and words in some languages don't have proper equivalencies in others. In english, "like" and "love" are distinct in intensity, but japanese uses "suki" for most of that spectrum. Choosing when to translate "suki" as like, or love, is again, just interpretation.
I guess this makes sense, it just annoys me a little bit because the two separate translations for this chapter seems wildly different.

Supporter
Indeed. All storytelling basically generates what could be called art (even KanoKari). No translation can be a "photo" of that art, just a really good description to someone who can't "see" it in the original language.

This is the only manga where comments here don't spam "LETS GOOO" when there's progress
Most of us are too stunned and/or grateful. I mean, look at what we settle for as "progress". :sneaky:

This makes a turtle mating look like high speed filmography. 316 chaps of complete BS.
...surprisingly good metaphor! And they're both about the same level of unintentionally-hilarious cringe. :devilish:

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Not super important but the positioning in the double page spread in the beginning makes it seem like he's looking past her forehead rather than in her eyes. Just felt really off.

So another volume or two before the date, which gets canceled due to something completely unavoidable, which ends this arc and starts his "find a new place to live" arc that goes on for sic volumes, and then their date might get rescheduled after he has a new place.

Group Leader
I'm really curious about which scans are more authentic -- these, or the ones from cubari/Kmanga. The language is not the same.
In these scans, he uses the words "get you to like me," but in the cubari scans he says "get you to fall in love with me." The latter is basically a confession.
In these scans, he also explicitly states "to me mizuhara and ichinose are the same person," but in the other scanlation, those aren't the words he uses.
Like do I have to start learning Japanese to get an accurate translation? Why are they so different?
Well my friend, do I got news for you! They are ~LOLCOWLIZERS~ so they chose to emmit the words of Kazuya, if you check the raws for this chapter you'll see he mentioned Mizuhara and ichinose being one and the same for him, so they stiming you over there XD
06.jpg

I would take how they translate things with a grain of salt, I mean I guess I could have made it something along the lines of "work Mizuhara" being the same as the "casual Ichinose" but to me that would just sound clunkier

Other series end on chapters like this one. PLEASE END ALREADY! I'm not even reading the text because this story is so garbage.

Well my friend, do I got news for you! They are ~LOLCOWLIZERS~ so they chose to emmit the words of Kazuya, if you check the raws for this chapter you'll see he mentioned Mizuhara and ichinose being one and the same for him, so they stiming you over there XD
06.jpg

I would take how they translate things with a grain of salt, I mean I guess I could have made it something along the lines of "work Mizuhara" being the same as the "casual Ichinose" but to me that would just sound clunkier
Yeah I've always liked Ecchi no doujinshi scans more. The wording seems smoother to me, and especially this chapter it makes a lot more sense to me. The funny thing is people on discord swear by the cubari/kmanga scans, saying that those scans are the official and therefore better. It seems worse to me.

Dex-chan lover
To fully appreciate Shakespeare you have read it in the original Klingon.

Users who are viewing this thread