Rent-A-Girlfriend

Dex-chan lover
Hey everyone... Is this any good?

The synopsis makes it seem like something that could be slightly amusing, but I don't know if something like this could offer 100 chapters worth of entertainment.
I'm an all-or-nothing reader and don't want to pick up something that I won't be willing to finish.

Can someone who has read/ is reading this please let me know if it's worthwhile. Feel free to spoil me a bit to give me a feel for it.
(please mention me in the response so I'll get notified & use spoiler tags for the benefit of other people)

Aggregator gang
@Koneko_Nyaa: Sorry if this sounds douchey, but you need to read it yourself to judge for yourself if it's worth reading. We have some wannabe manga critics and macho personalities with fragile egos who don't like it, but I personally think this makes for a fun read. That being said, there are some cringe moments and if you have a certain expectation from your cast and MC, this may disappoint.

In the end, no one can tell you if ANY manga is good or bad. Only you can decide if you'll like it or not.

Dex-chan lover
@TwilightFaze:
While it's true that reading it myself would be the best way to determine what it's like, It would be a massive time investment to read something this long when I'm feeling unsure of it.
I would rather spend my time reading something that I know I'll enjoy from my backlog list.

I'm hoping that someone who has already made the time investment to read this for their own sake would be willing to take just a moment to share a little more detail than what's covered by the synopsis for the sake of those of us who are sitting on the fence.
If someone were to write a mini review that's good enough to express the overall feel of the series, I'd be more inclined to give it a try if I get the impression that I may find it interesting.

Aggregator gang
@Koneko_Nyaa: I'll do my best, but keep in mind this is purely my own opinion:
I honestly believe this manga is for a selective audience. The story pace is pretty slow, but well placed and the cast of characters isn't over-saturated, but they don't really stick out either. The MC is your typical nice guy wimp who backs out a lot, but unlike other MCs, he's self-aware of this weakness and is (very) slowly trying to fix that trait. I personally like this. The main heroine comes off as cool and aloof, but is more of tsundere than she lets on. It's IMPLIED she likes the MC in return, but to date nothing concrete has been confirmed. At bare minimum she respects him. The love rival is very assertive and knows what she wants, also in the same business as the main heroine. Her issue is not with the MC, like most of the cast (mostly), but the main heroine for being wishy-washy in her own way. There's a 3rd girl who's emotional support (we all know she doesn't stand a chance, but we can't help but cheer her on). Lastly is the ex girlfriend. She's a walking mystery. Straight from early on in Chapter 1 she broke up with him, but doesn't like that he is dating the heroine (it's obviously fake to the readers, but the cast doesn't know that. Someone else learns, but they're irrelevant for now.). It's unclear if she is jealous, a sadist who enjoy the MC being alone, regrets dumping him, or something else, but it's clear she is trying to interfere in his love life.

The central plot of them fake-dating involves both the grandmothers of the MC and heroine. The MC is weak-hearted but loves his grandmother dearly and doesn't want to break her heart. The heroine's doesn't have long and is trying to make her happy before she passes. The heroine is very strong-willed in her convictions and her future and doesn't cross any lines when on the job. Because of the dubious nature of her dating job (which in itself is harmless, but naturally has a bad reputation for the clients as well as the fake girlfriends), they are both trying to keep it a secret. I mean why not? In your early 20's and you using/doing a service like that? It's social suicide.

I've noticed the people who usually have issues use the term alpha/beta a lot. Outdated terms to justify their own desire to self-insert for their own shortcomings. "Macho men" in short. Don't judge negative reviews using such toxic terminology since all they're really after is a borderline hentai with an assertive MC. I'm not saying it doesn't have cringe-worthy moments now and then in the story, but I think it's a sweet romance story that doesn't go overboard.

I rate it 6 out of 10: Not the best, but still a good read.

I can understand why some people are complaining, but from what I've read so far (ch40), and as andrmnh has mentioned, you can't always self insert nor will the story be for everyone. I too find that the story has its own charm so far, and while not an outstanding story that I am engrossed into... similar to Twilight below, it's not on top, but it can be a good read.

Artwork is surely a plus. While the story's pace can be slow, it hasn't been the eventless kind of slow. I will nitpick that personally, the story setup isn't that eye-catching, with the mix of "cool long hair girl" being the central heroine, together with a cutesy girl who seems to be... well, darker than she lets off (plus for a character who seemed to have had lots of weight, she faded after the third heroine joined). While the story doesn't do an actual romcom where characters are unreasonably indecisive (seeing as the MC of this series has proper spotlights of "where does my heart lie"), it's undeniable that status quo is being held for too long at times to keep the story going. But those are my nitpicks, and not something that others should hold if they don't mind these being part of the story. Plus, the "status quo" issue is with some scenes, whereas other times the character attempts to defuse things reasonably.

Newest cover break the pattern where the odd volume always contain picture of Mizuhara. Well, whatever, Ruka is also cute.

Dex-chan lover
97 chapters read and I don't even have the willpower to check out the new chapters when this series updates anymore, reading this has turned into a chore. Dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread