Retired Heroes - Ch. 38 - A Family Vacation(9)

Double-page supporter
I like Tifa more now that we know she's a got a dark side to her. Little Demon Queen over here with her "why can't we just kill the bad guys?" spirit.

But the question remains, what could have given her that darkness?

Dex-chan lover
Tifa is a fucking moron, lacking a moral foundation, wielding power beyond her age. Fucking annoying, is what.

Dex-chan lover
I love the part where they are dumbfounded and evaded a bad end.

Fed-Kun's army
kids can be pretty cruel if not left unchecked

tifa is a good kid at heart, whose had to endure a bit of reflected racism, resentment and as such never got close to other people which meant she didn't learn how to see things from other people's perspective. The bandits unlike the noble's were born in poverty as such thieving, stealing, killing was just survival instinct not dissimilar to demon realm. Tifa has yet to see things for the angle of desperate people

Edit - I think people around here have forgotten what it was like to be a kid, that weird over confidence of feeling invincible until when you grow older and start finding out you have limits

Dex-chan lover
@Kiraidesu If I had to guess, it's just the sense of justice from her dad's hero blood mixed with a cruel streak from her mom's demon blood. Though, Saliy and her immediate family don't seem too bad, from what we've seen from other demons I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kiraidesu

Life. Seeing as she is the daughter of a known demon and has lived in a village where people shun her mother it's easily conceivable that resentment accumulated. Remember the woman who gave her candy to bribe her not to tell Sliy, that her husband was rude - and TIfa's facial expression afterwards?

@Kiraidesu
Her mom, perhaps? (Also, her dad and demonic relatives?)

@cor3zone

A bad kid is a result of bad parenting, and her parents are literally first-time parents hiding a million secrets. Her negotiative father is frequently dominated by her aggressive, scary-as-f*ck mother who uses the threat of violence and power as most solutions. Both parents are more or less the strongest people she knows.

One moment, they're telling Tifa to not put herself into danger. The next, Sally's off massacring a horde of monsters and using dangerous magic that damages her sanity.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone Tifa sure has that lack but i think you didn't see that she only has this thinking about certain types of people, she is hardly perfect but this is much more convincing than most shounen MC that turn in paragons of moral in age 10 because someone told them their father or mother were great heroes and obviously she has more power than a kid should have, but she didn't choose it, her parent are just gifted and she just inherited it, the way to control and mastery isn't short or easy and she just started. Now if you find her annoying that is your right, don't have much to say about that, personally i like this little spitfire she has her moment in both sides to me it makes a balance that is pleasing.

@Kiraidesu Personally i think is less about darkness and more about childish sincerity, she is fearfully sincere, she thinks she that eliminating problems completely is the best option when clearly doesn't see details, she could be naturally cruel but she is also filled with love from her parents and is a good kid so she understands that there are certain limits but she still a child so she doesn't completely understand the complexities of life because she sees it in her childish spectrum.

The bandit team was an inch away of total annihilation, and i am not talking about an easy end, i have no doubt that if given the reason Saliy can be cruel with gusto she would torture the hell out of them.

@alacaelum I wholeheartedly agree. There's quite a lot out there about how straight up freaking scary children can be with what they can do before they have a solidified concept of morals. Young children can't even determine that inflicting pain on others hurts them--and that's not a psychosis but rather just regular cognitive development. I really like the fact that Tifa isn't some Shounen Paragon as it's showing a lot more about how she's being raised and her own cognitive development over time. I do find her somewhat bratty sometimes, but...well...she's a KID. She's SUPPOSED to be a brat. xD

Dex-chan lover
@alacaelum
Wow. I get into arguments all the time because other people refuse to realise morality isn't inherent. Now someone tries to belittle me by claiming I do the same? Refreshing. 🙂

I never claimed she was perfect. I never claimed she isn't a plausible person. I never claimed it was her fault. Is she a moron? Yes, seeing as she does the same exact fucking things repeatedly, despite it nearly always resulting in borderline tragedy. Does she lack morals? Yes, as all children do, but even beyond that seeing as she thinks it's apparently fine to kill people you disagree with. Does she have more power than she should? Yes, as a result of her heritage, and that power always results in escalating the situation.

None of these characteristics are unexpected or unrealistic. The combination makes her fucking annoying, to me. I don't mind you disagreeing, but maybe don't sling veiled insults in the opening sentence?

Dex-chan lover
Half human demon hybrids can have troublesome personalities their demon sides always at odds with their human sides.

Supporter
Eh, my own moral rules hadn't been fully hammered out when I was that age either.

Users who are viewing this thread