Retired Heroes - Ch. 38 - A Family Vacation(9)

Double-page supporter
that bit in the end and the talk with her dad pretty much proves shes a dumbass kid. her being as powerful as she is pretty much molded her out to be way too stubborn to listen to her dad because she thinks he is weaker than her mom. i can't remember if they mentioned if he was stronger than her or not but i think he would have to be since he was the hero and somehow convinced her to marry him.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone
It is my understanding that there are both socially constructed and innate components to morality. Around the age 6, a lot of brain development things happen in most children, and one of them is the development of a sense of altruistic fairness. Since this predictably happens at a common point in brain development, it suggests that it is to some degree a feature of human nature.

Of course, how that is expressed as adults differs wildly from person to person depending on how they're raised, their environment, etc. Nurture seems to more important than the smaller but still usually present nature. (Leave it to humans to use an order to not kill as an excuse to kill, we have some cognitive dissonance gymnastic experts among us for sure.)

Although I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, I do agree that Tifa is annoying. Her parent's haven't really been teaching her how to adult yet, but hopefully this'll be a good moment to start. Although, rather than sword lessons, she could use some more INT.

Double-page supporter
“Did we just avoid being murdered in broad daylight?”
“We vowed never to speak of this again.”

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze
That's probably more like empathy, which is inherent (in most people). Morality is more like guidelines on when and how to use that inherent characteristic.

It's like speaking. Most children eventually develop the ability to speak, but unless they learn language it's mostly gibberish.

Agreed, most of the blame is on the parents in this case. They've been too busy with their own things to nip the problematic behaviour early.

This series has some truly incredible chapters. Loved every part of it and got so many different feels. (And I love Tifa and find her quite credible as a child growing up while exposed to blatant racism, so I was quite surprised by the comments section.)

Aggregator gang
Yeah I was also a problem child like this always running off and scarring my parents/older cousins half to death.

Just, without the magic and the fighting though.

Dex-chan lover
@penmore
From what we saw from the flash back the dad is at best equal to his wife if he had all his gear with him and have made enough preparation.
- humans are physically weaker than demon
- he has not killed the demon king alone and she was there to helped him when they did it
- they first met when she saved him when he almost got killed in his first adventure alone
+ He is far more crafty than her
So exept in a no holding back situation, she would win most of the time I think.

@penmore
The dad wasn't "as strong as her" so much as he was "stubborn (and naive) enough to keep following her".
Also, kids are dumb and think that they're invincible (until they grow up and/or eventually find out about their limits).
If Tifa WASN'T a shitty brat (given the poor parenting skills of our MCs, who have a million secrets), it would seriously hurt her depth as a character.

That gang sure dodged a bullet by not selling them, you can clearly see an angry OP mom rampaging all over the city hunting them down.

Supporter
Well morality and empathy are clearly not the same and the 2 clearly link to your social environment
i mean just look at the slave trade and all, the traders where people with empathy to other in the same class as them and probably a sense of justice, but if you where not from the same class you where below trash.
And i mention justice, justice is also a part of the problem, justice is a social construct just look at twitter and how their sens of justice differ from more well rounded people and for tifa, yes killing the bad guy is justice for her, like a lot of people in Murica think dead sentence is a good punishment but also think killing is bad, everyone has weight the good and bad differently and all have a personal balance, and all is influence by the parent, the emotion they fell and juste social interaction
So yeah i don't think Tifa is a well balanced, and she is stupid to my eyes, but i think she is a good character, and the author probably know all of that and will make her learn lessons (and that way more interesting that the all to common "perfect people" in manga)

by the way if anyone did read HxH here, Gon is way worst that Tifa when it come to "justice" and empathy but it's also one of the best written shonen MC.

Dex-chan lover
Woah she’ll be the next demon king for sure

Also did she consider the “bad guy” who helped them should they also be killed ?

Dex-chan lover
Total Party Kill Bad End Avoided

just beautiful. I feel like I understand Sean now....and I absolutely don't pity him. He kinda fucking deserves that, but I hope a family will get him to soften up.

Users who are viewing this thread