Ri-chan - Ch. 156.5 - Fanbox Extra

Dex-chan lover
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGAHAMDKD
imgonline-com-ua-blur-radial-Y3-Pe-C1-PD64b-W.jpg

Dex-chan lover
this is so precious, my heart... i really really love the way the author utilizes the absence of facial details on anyone but riri and her mom to highlight the most important moments by adding them back in.

Dex-chan lover
Super sweet, but I kinda don't like her ditching the dyed hair. It sort of smacks of that "to be a proper good person you have to fit in like everyone else." moral that pops up sometimes. It's kinda like all those stories where the female love interest is a nerdy girl and by the end she's been "made presentable" by having her do away with her glasses and get the same generic hime cut as everyone else.

That said I'm still not going to complain too much whenever we get a Ri-Chan burst because it's always great.

Dex-chan lover
Super sweet, but I kinda don't like her ditching the dyed hair. It sort of smacks of that "to be a proper good person you have to fit in like everyone else." moral that pops up sometimes. It's kinda like all those stories where the female love interest is a nerdy girl and by the end she's been "made presentable" by having her do away with her glasses and get the same generic hime cut as everyone else.
I disagree, I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. I think it represents her moving forward in her life and she’s going back to her natural hair color as a conscious decision of her own.

I don’t think she’s doing it for anyone or to be presentable (if so, she would have dyed it black for the piano rehearsal thing they did with the students), she’s just feeling like she’s re-attained her sense of self and purpose.

Dex-chan lover
I disagree, I don’t think that’s what’s happening here. I think it represents her moving forward in her life and she’s going back to her natural hair color as a conscious decision of her own.

I don’t think she’s doing it for anyone or to be presentable (if so, she would have dyed it black for the piano rehearsal thing they did with the students), she’s just feeling like she’s re-attained her sense of self and purpose.

She had to have dyed it back though. For him to come home and be surprised it had to happen in one day while he was gone to work or whatever. Otherwise it would take weeks to grow out to the point that all the blonde portions can be cut off and leave her with a complete amount of hair to style.

and I recognize what it is within the story, but often times it feels like, from an authorial standpoint, those decisions are made in deference to Japan's extreme tendency towards homogeneity and attachment to specific ideas of of what is right/proper/correct. Obviously she would've dyed it before the recital/lessons thing if it was meant for presentation in-universe, but that scene also had to go as it did so that we'd get all the judgy pricks watching her and expecting she'd suck/fail so that she could show them up in the end. But a lot of times when this sort of thing happens and a very gal/delinquent character drops their dyed hair or piercings or whatever it's presented like a sign of "ok, she's normal now and that's better." in a way that makes it seem like wanting to be a bit different was the last vestiges of their renegade past.

Obviously this isn't a series meant to go into deep detail like that though. It was more like the scene just tripped something that made me remember past series (Which I couldn't even specifically name) where the same thing happened and it was clear there was a message behind it.

Group Leader

That said I'm still not going to complain too much whenever we get a Ri-Chan burst because it's always great.
Imo, she never really wanted to have dyed hair. It was a coping mechanism.

In the early chapters, she's shown trying to hide from Tatsu as she is embarrassed to show him how she looks. In Ch. 8.5, she says that she's too scared to go back to how she used to look. To me, that implies that she still wanted to return to her original self. If anything, I think she hated how she looked with dyed hair, but going back would have meant having to accept her failings and moving forward (Ch. 156 solidifying the connection between her ability to move forward and her looks).

I don't think it has anything to do with presentability in this case.

Dex-chan lover

The point of her dyed hair was to be someone else

Users who are viewing this thread