Risou no Himo Seikatsu - Vol. 16 Ch. 65 - Heritage

Dex-chan lover
So what I gather is going on is that they were refugees from a northern countries who were suppressed by the southern church.

The reason why they are helping Freya for free is likely because they hold a grudge against the church or fear the church would come for them

He asks Freya the first questions to confirm they are not bowing to the church and will use the artifact to make it easier for them. Instead they want to use the trade with the north to bolster them and have them fight with the southern church

No, not really.
The church has nothing to do with the deal: the objective was obtaining access to their shipbuilding and forging technology without going through the Capua Kingdom.
As others already pointed out, he manipulated the discussion so that Freya herself pointed out the advantages of cutting off the middlemen: the southern kingdom first, the Capua kingdom as the logical next step.

The other thing that you need to understand the meaning of the gift, is Freya's allegiance to Capua. At the moment she is in the process of becoming Zenjirou's first concubine, forging an alliance between Capua and Upsala: the dress Aura gift her is a sign of her acknowledging Freya as being part of the royal family, since red is the official color of the royal family, and only the royal family is allowed to wear it. The fact she presented herself at this meeting without it, it could be interpreted as "I am not talking for the Capua kingdom, but as the Upsala's first princess", hence why Luchino thought there was a chance of cutting out the middle man.

How he did that is quite interesting: first of all, he told her that they also came from the northern continent. Then he made appeal to her passion, telling her that, at heart, they too are navigators, and they understand her trouble, because they too had to take the same perilous travel. Finally the master move, the magic item: he start saying that it is priceless and it cannot be sold or bought. He then goes to great length describing how it is an heirloom, part of their story, how it defines the very essence of their family and so on, strengthening at the same time the idea they are kind spirits. And then he says he will gift it to her.
Why?
Because in the end Freya is ALREADY part of their family. A long lost parent, alright, but what best occasion to restore the old connections?
It is alright to cut off the Capua Kingdom, because her allegiance to Upsala is also an allegiance with the Twin kingdom, since at the end of the day they are the same people.

That's what's happening in that conversation. The church is just the third three from the left in the back of the scene.

Dex-chan lover
No, not really.
The church has nothing to do with the deal: the objective was obtaining access to their shipbuilding and forging technology without going through the Capua Kingdom.
As others already pointed out, he manipulated the discussion so that Freya herself pointed out the advantages of cutting off the middlemen: the southern kingdom first, the Capua kingdom as the logical next step.

The other thing that you need to understand the meaning of the gift, is Freya's allegiance to Capua. At the moment she is in the process of becoming Zenjirou's first concubine, forging an alliance between Capua and Upsala: the dress Aura gift her is a sign of her acknowledging Freya as being part of the royal family, since red is the official color of the royal family, and only the royal family is allowed to wear it. The fact she presented herself at this meeting without it, it could be interpreted as "I am not talking for the Capua kingdom, but as the Upsala's first princess", hence why Luchino thought there was a chance of cutting out the middle man.

How he did that is quite interesting: first of all, he told her that they also came from the northern continent. Then he made appeal to her passion, telling her that, at heart, they too are navigators, and they understand her trouble, because they too had to take the same perilous travel. Finally the master move, the magic item: he start saying that it is priceless and it cannot be sold or bought. He then goes to great length describing how it is an heirloom, part of their story, how it defines the very essence of their family and so on, strengthening at the same time the idea they are kind spirits. And then he says he will gift it to her.
Why?
Because in the end Freya is ALREADY part of their family. A long lost parent, alright, but what best occasion to restore the old connections?
It is alright to cut off the Capua Kingdom, because her allegiance to Upsala is also an allegiance with the Twin kingdom, since at the end of the day they are the same people.

That's what's happening in that conversation. The church is just the third three from the left in the back of the scene.
I disagree and let me explain why.

First of all, why does he care about Capua? They aren't enemies and if anything through zenjirou want better relations

Second of all, he only gave 1 device so only 1 ship or at least very few can make the voyage. This is significant because if you remember the other wedding in this series. The one who married the general. She says to her younger brother, right now as the daughter of the house I serve interests of this house. But once I am married, you should prepare to see me as an enemy if need be as I shall do the same

She is only engaged to Zenjirou but still represents her north kingdom. But the moment she is married the situation instantly changes. At no point did he clarify what happens to the device once she is married. If she retains the device, Capua will become the middle man one way or another

On top of that we have seen a lot of caution in previous chapters as they are wary of the north

The reason why he cut out Capua from the negotiation is because their kingdom gathering weapons and technology can make Capua wary. You can claim all you want that your goal is the north church, but your neighboring countries may have other thoughts on what your goal is

Users who are viewing this thread