Ruri Dragon - Ch. 12 - Making Something Fun for Everyone

Dex-chan lover
Your only real hope would be buying the chapters yourself, then commissioning someone to translate them for you. (Cough cough. Suggestive cough). After that, you're free to upload them yourself, or squirrel them away for your private collection. Otherwise, there's no hope, since groups generally prefer not to touch licensed stuff.
If I had money for that, I would. ;w;

I'd go as far as to carefully take apart the manga, scan them, and reprint them for personal collecting.
But at most, the best I could do would be to ask one of my group's TLs to write up a translation to use on the side, instead of a full scanlation. ;w;

Dex-chan lover
Yeah but I'm just thinking realistically because this comes simultaneously with the Japanese release so thinking back to the old days, it really makes me appreciate how good things are now.
Once the anime comes out eventually (maybe?), I bet we will have some fansubs with extra care for details, and specially time.
Aren't you the same guy that was calling me a boomer for wanting an accurate translation?

EDIT: You were.

Dex-chan lover
I am not seeing anything between the third and the tenth chapter.

Is that because they're no longer free on MangaPlus or something?

Do all our comments here also get to disappear eventually along with the 12th chapter?
if you check ruridragon fronpage
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/10019
you will notice that the rest of the chapter are hidden and only available if we download their apps, this apply to all tittles in mangaplus, which is bullshit, why would their website exist then if they pestering us to use their app, our comment in mangadex forum are probably in shadow realm rn

Dex-chan lover
you will notice that the rest of the chapter are hidden and only available if we download their apps, this apply to all tittles in mangaplus, which is bullshit, why would their website exist then if they pestering us to use their app, our comment in mangadex forum are probably in shadow realm rn
You can look up the threads with the search function. They're still there.

Dex-chan lover

The website is free like Mangadex. In the app you have to pay to gain access to the chapters. If you don't pay they'll be as invisible as they are here and in the website. Mangaplus is an official licensed service, so they have to make money through direct commercial means. That's the app.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, yeah Ruri has been kind of this closed-off snarky asshole (she just like me frfr) up until this, with only one friend, and not knowing anyone's names. or even who they are. Makes sense that pisses people off
What the fuck does her having one friend have to do with anyone else?

Aggregator gang
Basically, as a teenager, she speaks with slang teenagers use these days and that's the same in Japanese so basically the translation uses modern slangs in English to emulate that feeling, but certain boomer haaaaaates that, because he can't relate, maybe he wants her to talk like a teenager from 10 or 20 years ago.

Or perhaps they want all the japanese memes and slangs untranslated and the corners of the pages filled with notes + 2 extra credit pages explaining the source and cultural origins of the trendy words, memes and abbreviations.

Or perhaps they want a complete neutral translation, similar to what google translate would give you so older people won't feel out of place, because as you know, manga is only read by people above the age of 30
In all fairness, localization has been a hot topic lately and for damn good reason. You seen the comparisons for some localizations being done to games like fire emblem? Its utterly atrocious how they will self insert and straight up change a character and their dialogue completely in order to force in their idea of "good writing" or dumb ideology.

I don't know about Ruri in particular but I haven't noticed anything egregious so far. At least the millenial writing isnt strong in this one

Aggregator gang
I was more concerned with whether or not the context was changed in translation, as I have seen that happen before, but otherwise I'm okay with the translations provided. Personally, I really like it when terminology we don't have English words for is kept as romanji with explanations later. Many times I've learned new snippets of Japanese culture that end up useful down the line for understanding later media.

But hey, that's just me.
100% hard agree. I love it when some stuff is kept in and explained in a note at the end of the chapter. It helps build the world for us non-japanese folk that wouldnt understand cultural differences unless explained.

Its a Japanese manga after all. I want to enjoy the japanese nature of it, its intrinsic to the story considering its based in... japan lol.

Aggregator gang
"Because you don't care about others."
Well yeah, being raised in a single parent household, being naturally introverted and now having to deal with being part dragon, you can understand why she wouldn't have pared thoughts for other people.
Dont forget how crucial the part dragon thing is.

While it was in a casual off handed manner, her mom did mention that its like she inherited her isolationist nature from dad. Im thinking its was just mom being chill as usual and she very well could just be expressing her dragon half wanting to be left alone in her territory clashing with her human social needs.

I think its literally in her blood to be more withdrawn and uninterested in others unrelated to her. She very clearly cares about other people, hence the "should I even be at school?" She's pretty self conscious about how dangerous it can be

Dex-chan lover
In all fairness, localization has been a hot topic lately and for damn good reason. You seen the comparisons for some localizations being done to games like fire emblem? Its utterly atrocious how they will self insert and straight up change a character and their dialogue completely in order to force in their idea of "good writing" or dumb ideology.

I don't know about Ruri in particular but I haven't noticed anything egregious so far. At least the millenial writing isnt strong in this one
Bruh. The fact that you didn't notice is the bigger issue in all of this. There's no inconsistency because the entire thing's been re-written from the ground up.

Dex-chan lover
The website is free like Mangadex. In the app you have to pay to gain access to the chapters. If you don't pay they'll be as invisible as they are here and in the website. Mangaplus is an official licensed service, so they have to make money through direct commercial means. That's the app.
fr? mangaplus been a free manga reading site since forever now theyre a paid access content? :shamihuh:

Dex-chan lover
fr? mangaplus been a free manga reading site since forever now theyre a paid access content? :shamihuh:

Huh? They've been this way from the start. Previously Mangaplus partnered with other companies to provide paid subscription. You get a subscription, the hidden chapters open up. Now they've simply cut the middlemen and offer direct subscription from their own app.

Dex-chan lover
The major issue with Maeda is she hates Ruri without even trying to get to know her. That's not great for her point. Ruri started out as a introvert, introverts aren't self-centered, they just don't actively participate in socializing and the whole dragon-hybrid/center of attention thing was forced on her. On the other end if it, if her point is "You're going to kill someone with your freaky dragon powers, why are you even here?!" then okay, I get she's a little scared of her and doesn't want to be around the next time she sneezes fire, but that still makes her an irritating personality.

Aggregator gang
Bruh. The fact that you didn't notice is the bigger issue in all of this. There's no inconsistency because the entire thing's been re-written from the ground up.
Jesus christ they made her into a snarky millenial...

Some of the examples in that post you linked arent bad, just slightly different but others are plain egregious character changes.

This just makes me sad.
These people wanna be writers but lack the talent and skill so they resort to butchering other people's work. Now that we're dealing with a conflict between characters in the story, their change in personality might result in them making weird desicions that wont make sense for their re-written character

Dex-chan lover
Jesus christ they made her into a snarky millenial...

Some of the examples in that post you linked arent bad, just slightly different but others are plain egregious character changes.

This just makes me sad.
These people wanna be writers but lack the talent and skill so they resort to butchering other people's work. Now that we're dealing with a conflict between characters in the story, their change in personality might result in them making weird desicions that wont make sense for their re-written character
The story's already changed. The original version had her be withdrawn, introverted, and passive. She's not just bad at being the center of attention, it was something she dreaded, because despite the dragon features, she's just some girl. To someone more... sensitive, let's say, her reluctance to do the bare minimum socially would seem like a lack of interest or care. In the rewrite, she's got all the force of character in the world. She's snarky, she's sarcastic, she's firm. Her decision to avoid standing out was just that: A decision. She weighed the options, and decided it would be inconvenient if she stood out. So she made some effort not to.

Ruri is withdrawn and meek. ReRuri could be more outgoing, but chose not to. I sure know which one of them is less of a jerk for constantly failing to, say, remember a classmate's name.

Last edited:
This is such a fun series :)

I'm really interested in seeing more about Maeda, I get the impression both her and Ruri are going to end up being good for each other. To an extent I get her seeing Ruri as unconnected and uncaring, but by the same token she's being weirdly judgmental and I suspect she won't be getting a pass for that.

The localization is also top-notch.

edit: lol, someone's salty :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread