Ryoushin no Shakkin wo Katagawari shite morau Jouken wa Nihon Ichi Kawaii Joshikousei to Issho ni Kurasu koto deshita. - Vol. 3 Ch. 16

MD@Home
if it were me, I would try not to hyphen it at all, or hyphen it based on the kanji, so it is "hitotsu-ba"
True, some of the line breaks really look like "Oh crap, I'm running out of space, let's crowbar a break in at the last possible point, aesthetics be damned" rather than focusing more on shaping a more pleasant "text picture".
I just think like in this discussion that hyphenated word should ensures its correct pronunciation
that's why I said that when you think about how to pronounce "hitotsu", the natural sound is "hitot-su" or "hitot-tsu"
But that's highly subjective and therefore unreliable. After all, you don't pronounce the "hi" in, say, "hitomi" like the greeting, "Hi!", as in, with an /ai/ dipthong, just because that's what someone native in or at least habitually familiar with the English language would likely go to first. Meaning, you can't fully rely on English, let alone your own speech habit or feeling, to judge whether "the natural" is also the agreeable. In a sense, you had to learn how to read Hepburn, too.
Besides, Hepburn isn't reserved to English-speaking audience after all. So, as unofficial Hepburn may be, it's better to stick to the one convention there is and not start making up more.
or maybe the translator just using some automatic hyphenation algorithm in their word processor or something
because some techniques produce such results
One could only wish typesetters would use such tools, in general at least, if only to prevent at least such garbage as "underst-and".

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I did not realize those were gloves. I thought that MC's hand had gone plaid from embarrassment. :LOL:

OIP.zn5JyyrLL_Yc9-bEVYWQ3wHaDp

Dex-chan lover
True, some of the line breaks really look like "Oh crap, I'm running out of space, let's crowbar a break in at the last possible point, aesthetics be damned" rather than focusing more on shaping a more pleasant "text picture".

But that's highly subjective and therefore unreliable. After all, you don't pronounce the "hi" in, say, "hitomi" like the greeting, "Hi!", as in, with an /ai/ dipthong, just because that's what someone native in or at least habitually familiar with the English language would likely go to first. Meaning, you can't fully rely on English, let alone your own speech habit or feeling, to judge whether "the natural" is also the agreeable. In a sense, you had to learn how to read Hepburn, too.
Besides, Hepburn isn't reserved to English-speaking audience after all. So, as unofficial Hepburn may be, it's better to stick to the one convention there is and not start making up more.

One could only wish typesetters would use such tools, in general at least, if only to prevent at least such garbage as "underst-and".
well, either way, I wouldn't be so harsh about how that word was hyphenated
just like I can understand if someone might separate the name Shinichi into Shi-ni-chi or Junichiro into Ju-ni-chi-ro instead of how it actually is written in hiragana, because of how they pronounced

Double-page supporter
just like I can understand if someone might separate the name Shinichi into Shi-ni-chi or Junichiro into Ju-ni-chi-ro instead of how it actually is written in hiragana, because of how they pronounced
There's a difference in the pronunciation of しんいち (shi n i chi) and しにち (shi ni chi). If that someone is pronouncing it shi-ni-chi, then they doing it in the wrong way.

Dex-chan lover
There's a difference in the pronunciation of しんいち (shi n i chi) and しにち (shi ni chi). If that someone is pronouncing it shi-ni-chi, then they doing it in the wrong way.
I didn't say that it is the correct pronunciation
I'm saying that "I can understand" if such mistake was made
because unless you are really accustomed to the pitch accent, it is quite difficult to distinguish them

I'm just saying there's no need to be such a bitch about it

Users who are viewing this thread