S-kyuu Guild wo Tsuihousareta kedo, Jitsu wa Ore dake Dragon no Kotoba ga Wakaru no de, Kidzuita Toki ni wa Ryuu Kishi no Chouten wo Kiwametemashita …

Group Leader
Singular they has become controversial because of trans people using it as a pronoun. People incorrectly insist any use of singular they is wrong now, even if not related to that topic, despite it's usage being older than any of us.
I have never said it's wrong, and I have never pointed out controversy about it. I am and for the most part used to the "It" and not "They". I'm not from U.S. as to make an issue about LGBT people. I'm used to "it" because I don't use "they" in an irl conversation and I don't go towards people and ask about their pet "Is they ok being patted?" and then confuse the pet owner.

Dex-chan lover
I have never said it's wrong, and I have never pointed out controversy about it. I am and for the most part used to the "It" and not "They". I'm not from U.S. as to make an issue about LGBT people. I'm used to "it" because I don't use "they" in an irl conversation and I don't go towards people and ask about their pet "Is they ok being patted?" and then confuse the pet owner.
Which is why you'd go "Are they ok being patted" instead, which works just fine. It's just a bit silly to disregard a whole word when it works here.

I'll admit, I've legit never heard of singular they being a problem for anybody outside of trans drama, that's why I assumed this was the case.

Dex-chan lover
What Alphay1 said.

But also...

"It" is a very demeaning pronoun among Americans.

Why?

Because being referred to as an "It" lowers your status to being a mere object. "It" means you are a thing with no identity. Something that is used and ultimately discarded.

Google "A Child Called It" and you'll see what I mean about the dehumanization. And fucking brace yourself for some seriously triggering shit.

Group Leader
What Alphay1 said.

But also...

"It" is a very demeaning pronoun among Americans.

Why?

Because being referred to as an "It" lowers your status to being a mere object. "It" means you are a thing with no identity. Something that is used and ultimately discarded.

Google "A Child Called It" and you'll see what I mean about the dehumanization. And fucking brace yourself for some seriously triggering shit.
It's a dragon that we're talking about, not a person. You use it to refer to an object, animal, or other thing that has already been mentioned.

Group Leader
Which is why you'd go "Are they ok being patted" instead, which works just fine. It's just a bit silly to disregard a whole word when it works here.

I'll admit, I've legit never heard of singular they being a problem for anybody outside of trans drama, that's why I assumed this was the case.
a single dog, so I use "are" and "they" for it?
Look, I'm aware that there's a "they/them" for singular person, but that's not how I know it's being used.

Somebody left their bag at the store. I hope they come back for it.

It's just that the way they used it is jarring for me.

Dex-chan lover
It's a dragon that we're talking about, not a person. You use it to refer to an object, animal, or other thing that has already been mentioned.

Species does not deny personhood. This is why we have laws about animal rights. For example, I'd only refer to cetaceans as animals in the most technical sense, the same way I'd refer to human beings as animals. Spend more than five minutes hanging around an orca. You won't ever think of them as "just an animal" afterwards. Same as with most dogs. Only an idiot thinks dogs don't have thoughts of their own. They may be simplistic and child like, but you won't catch me saying that a dog isn't a person.

Group Leader
Species does not deny personhood. This is why we have laws about animal rights. For example, I'd only refer to cetaceans as animals in the most technical sense, the same way I'd refer to human beings as animals. Spend more than five minutes hanging around an orca. You won't ever think of them as "just an animal" afterwards. Same as with most dogs. Only an idiot thinks dogs don't have thoughts of their own. They may be simplistic and child like, but you won't catch me saying that a dog isn't a person.
sigh, I'm not trying to complicate things here. I'm just saying that since the MC doesn't know the gender of the dragon, the most ideal thing I would know to use is "it". I'm not saying to deny an animal it's personhood and i'm not here to talk about animal rights and what not. I'm here to talk about grammars and how most readers would read the manga. I get what you're saying and i'm not denying your opinion. I'm only here to plead that they use "it" rather than "they" in that part so as to not make it jarring for us readers.

The dragon is then named Kris and creates a bond with the MC so you can just give it personhood. You can also just use the name in the future.

Group Leader
That is not going to happen. Even if it is simply because the whole story is about the MC refusing to view the dragons as things or tools. Aside from that, your English skills are not a requirement that I, my PR or my TL have to comply with and I also don't need to care about what other tl groups do, even if it was the most elaborate and greatest MTL I have ever seen.

Dex-chan lover
Then explain yourself.
Non-specific: "Any employee using the bathroom must wash their hands before returning to work."

Unknown specific: "Whoever won the raffle will need to go to the office to pick up their prize. "

Known specific: this usage. generally incorrect, both today and historically

Users who are viewing this thread