Saika no Kami wa Negawanai - Vol. 2 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
@Karakuri1812 Nope, while Anubis' parentage varies depending on myths, he was never considered Set's son. The reason being that since Set was the God of Calamity and the Dessert he was infertile and therefore was never able to impregnate Nephtytys. From what I remember from my mythology books, Anubis was also considered the son of Nephtytys and Osiris (the goddess having seduced Osiris by impersonating Isis), since she really wanted a child.

That's why Anubis serves as a guide to the underworld, since he serves his father there.

I'm just hoping that the extras include the reunion between Set and Osiris. I think we all deserve that at least.

First of all, regarding the wholesomeness of the story, it's well executed. Sure, it felt short, as the art is gorgeous and the story is told beautifully, so having it ended so soon makes me feel down for a bit. But I think in length, it is good that the author decided to conclude here. (Maybe the author could try to extend for 1-2 more chapters extra, but the main story - the background of the myth of Osiris' death - wrapped up here is just right, getting any longer will probably ruin the good up till now)
Second, I ... don't think Horus will kill Set. I mean, his smile at the end where he said "Wait for me, Lord Uncle" did not look like one of revenge driven. I wonder if Horus also might have memories from the previous life. Even though when time was turned back, Horus was only 5, but he seemed smart enough. And in the previous life, he - like his father Osiris - liked to stick to Set quite happily. Horus will defeat Set to take the throne of course, since that's one of the thing Set hoped for; but killing Set and the two brothers would reunite in the underworld ... Well, call me a crazy shipper, but I have a suspicion that Horus would be beyond thrill to monopolize his "Unca Set" in this life.

Canon Egyptian mythology to the rescue! (Is there such a thing as ā€œcanonā€ in mythology? Anyways...)

In the myth, Set is the protector of Raā€™s ship of the sun who rides with the ship to the world of the living in the morning and return with it to the underworld at night. So after Horus ā€œkillsā€ Set, I think Set will just become his grandfatherā€™s bodyguard like in the myth. In the morning, he will go up to the surface and at night heā€™ll return to Osiris in the underworld.

One more thing, though in the Osiris myth, the parentage of Anubis was usually said to be son of Osiris and Nephthys in blood, but the myth also said Set killed Osiris out of jealousy. In this manga, the author created a true-story-beneath-the-surfaced-facts, so the parentage of Anubis might be something to play around. The fact is Set had declared to all he had not touch Nephthys. But if Nephthys insisted (once she heard some explanation from Isis about Set's intention), with Isis' magic power, they might be able to think of a way. I doubt Isis would be very agreeable if Nephthys had intimacy with any man, and a stranger to boost. Getting pregnant could be a different matter though, as historical circumstances place expectations on women being able to bear children.

Lastly, the scene where a young Set, holding an annoyed baby Set, looked curiously at adult Set mentally breaking away from the abusive father - it leaves me with lots of satisfactory.

Dex-chan lover
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

@OceanMarina the chapters 6-13 are all magazine-published version. Once there are enough chapters & pages number, they would get to be published in collected volume. Usually there would be extra when volume comes out (else people would not necessarily buy the volume), and the chapters might get some tweaking here and there.

I have another theory about Anubis. I notice throughout the whole story, the author was very careful to have Osiris and Set, Isis and Nephthys, whenever they were in the same place and time, each pair always wear matching ear-rings, either looking exactly the same (just different colors, like in volume 1 cover), or kind of symmetry. But Horus and Anubis, each of them wear one ear-ring of the pair. Could it be they are twins? I mean, time was rewinded, even if something the same - like Osiris not staying on the surface world, Isis getting pregnant and Horus was born - there are things changed: Nephthys was saved, Osiris still survived in a way, Set became king, and Anubis was born.

This broke my heart, I really hope they decide to give it a sequel one day. It was an amazing story.

t-that's the end? okay, i didn't need a heart anyway šŸ„ŗ thank u for ur hard work !

Group Leader
I don't know if it's just me but that Anubis certainly has Set's face.

Dex-chan lover
So that's what the title meant!! I sure do miss stories that give significant meaning to its name. I wonder how his rule was though... but either way, I guess he had to play up the evil king role in order to safely
pass the crown to Horus. I guess we should've all seen this kind of sad ending coming but I'd still hoped it wouldn't have been that sad. The best part was Set finally leaving his father and no longer wanted his approval for his existence (also interesting to find out that Thoth was the one that saved him). Not sure what else to say about the ending... there's alot that's left out, but with the limited pages the author had to work with I think they did a great job on covering the most important parts.

As someone who doesn't know much about Egyptian mythology, it was interesting to read comments on how this gave a twist to the original myth. I think it was clever of the author to stay with the original veins of the myths. I really hope they get another publication of some sort, it feels like it's so rare to run into a manga artist with good story telling these days. From their pixiv they had a bunch of drawings on Greek myths so here's hoping we see some of that in the future.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder how Anubis is adapted into this story? Is he still Sets son in this?

Users who are viewing this thread