Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan: Noukou Giga - Vol. 4 Ch. 17 - Umamawari

Dex-chan lover
@greatninja3 It's actually the opposite. The Japanese already understood how backwards they were since the time of the Date Maru expedition. The reason Japan closed their borders was because they KNEW everyone else was more advanced than they were. It just didn't click back then that being behind the curve was dangerous. The Tokugawa leadership was more worried that continued exposure to the outside world would breed discontent in backwards and economically weak Japan. This is the same reason North Korea closed itself up to the modern world. What made Japan open up wasn't the knowledge that they were backwards but the sudden understanding of their helplessness brought about by the Perry expedition. The elites were faced with the potential of a direct threat to their self-interest and this forced them to change their minds.

Additionally, a Japanese expansion without the Opium Wars would not have been possible. As Toyotomi Hideyoshi found out in the real timeline, no East Asian power could challenge the might of a unified China led by a competent emperor (Wanli in this case). China must first be taken out of the equation. In the real timeline this was made possible by the Daoguang emperor's stupidly conservative decision to stop Chinese internal modernization which led to the defeats of the Opium Wars. That opened the window of opportunity for Japan at just the right moment in history.

That window of opportunity might hypothetically appear in an alternate timeline where the ruler of Japan would just wait a few more years. Now, granted that Hideyoshi didn't have that option, but by 1600 the long decline of the Ming would have started with the withdrawal of the Wanli emperor from his imperial duties, leading to a 20-year period of chaotic administration and a weakening of the Ming army that would never be reversed. However, said hypothetical Japanese ruler would also need to contend with Nurhaci's Manchus by 1620. The window would then be in the 1610s, when Wanli would have been too old to be effective and Nurhaci hadn't grown powerful enough to stand in the way.

Both Katsuzou and Honda are so adorable lol.
The last page got me excited for a solid 2 seconds... Really want to watch the series in anime form too.

Dex-chan lover
@SunSun: The Mayan Empire was long gone already by this time. It never even encountered europeans.
As for the "shit Iron" - there's a reason why traditional iron production in the area includes increasing the carbon content of the iron. That has only tangentially sometihng to do with the folding. After the process the quality is the same.

Dex-chan lover
Congratulations, not only do you have to keep innovating, he's using his most intractable son to test the schooling you've told him everyone gets.

Oh, and the credits page got me going too.

Don't play with my heart like that, I was so hyped about this being adapted lmao. Thank you for the chapter ^^

Fed-Kun's army
@kazaddum
After the process the quality is the same.
That's the problem, though: the process that helps restore the material quality adds to time and cost of production, and in some cases isn't applicable at all, so you remain at a disadvantage one way or another. Blades were just a very fortunate case that played to the strengths of skillful smithing and the Japanese mentality in general; but even then, the good ones were ridiculously expensive.

Dex-chan lover
@Aichan FFS dude when I meant shit iron I wasn't fucking talking about "japanese iron being different dur"; Japan's iron sand is shit compared to normal ore.

The point is getting enough iron and refining enough into steel was a massive strategic issue during WW2 which prompted the South Invasion Plan which led to the Pearl Harbor attack plan in the first place.

@tuvarkz doubtful, the amount of resources and long distance know how is probably a bit beyond sengoku Japan's ability at this point. Imperial China was only able to send an expedition (look up Admiral Chen and "Chinese Treasure fleet") because at that point of China's history, they were MASSIVELY wealthy.

They'd need sometime to grow post unification.

Double-page supporter
I feel kinda sad that there's a good chance Inahime won't be born in this timeline but at the same time this is probably gonna end at/around the Honnoji Incident so....

Dex-chan lover
Much Failed Wooing Later:

"I thought of a new stanza to his poem, Honda: "Her romantic instincts are as dense as steel, and yet I continue to beat my head against them.""

Users who are viewing this thread