Sensitive Boy - Vol. 4 Ch. 34 - Parting Ways

Dex-chan lover
The teacher already got shown last chapter, we knew a confrontation was coming and I don't think her getting violent is particularly unrealistic. I don't disagree that it's kinda poorly paced though, the latest chapters especially have been going a lot faster than they really should (like how Tsubasa gets yelled at and the next day she suddenly got it all sorted out). Also her conveniently carrying a knife around doesn't make much sense, but maybe she got it from the store(?), idk.

Dex-chan lover
I knew it was happening because of the spoiler pic in previous chapter but I'll say it again... what the fuck.

But like it was said already, what's the point exactly. This extreme level of violence doesn't fit that well in a story about recovery, and it's such a cheap overused trope too, even with the free double "shield each other" bingo bonus.
Agreed, the author kind of had to go back to the trope well for this chapter.
I honestly think it would have been more effective if the teacher just accused him of ruining her life without the knife, and Kaede would be forced to defend himself and confront the source of his trauma. That would be much more inline with what the story has been going for.

As it stands this chapter feels like cheap drama in a story that has largely avoided it.

Dex-chan lover
Son of a bitch that was quick.
Emotional? This completely came out of left field! No set up to this at all. I feel like this was a waste to a good side story from the teachers pov no matter how wrong she was.

Yeah I can see that, they could have milked the whole "OOooh shit, it was her tutor that raped him" story line. But then they would have to somehow get the two of them involved once again and I don't see that happening, at least not up until the whole her getting stabbed for him and him blocking her from the punch thing.

Now they have a reason to be involved with one another once again and can maybe both can grow together. Especially now that both of them are a victim of the same crazy woman.

Dex-chan lover
Alright, honestly this was poorly built up (non-existent build up) and bad execution.
It was fucked up, Boy's Abyss often has non-existent payoff or subverted expectations, but it leads to story progression and character development, and ties into the whole theme of the manga. It's never shit all over the story and buildup like this.
This manga had the potential to be better than Boy's Abyss but it failed in a single chapter.
This development should have been teased over the course of multiple chapters or even volumes, and then had a payoff, it was far too sudden like this. I'll stick around for a while, but I can't see it getting much better.

Group Leader
Yeah, this chapter was bad. To be honest I think this manga has been going downhill ever since Kaede and Tsubasa broke up (and no that's not because I "ship" them or even particularly want them to get back together), with the pacing slowing to a standstill as characters face the exact same character beats multiple times over. But all of a sudden both (a) bringing back the teacher who had only existed as part of Kaede's backstory until now and (b) suddenly introducing extreme physical violence with no setup is on another level of bad storytelling and shows a complete lack of planning by the author. The problem isn't that it's "unrealistic," it's that it came completely out of nowhere and so almost verges into parody.

Hopefully when the new arc starts the quality will return to what it was in the first dozen chapters or so, but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, this chapter was bad. To be honest I think this manga has been going downhill ever since Kaede and Tsubasa broke up (and no that's not because I "ship" them or even particularly want them to get back together), with the pacing slowing to a standstill as characters face the exact same character beats multiple times over. But all of a sudden both (a) bringing back the teacher who had only existed as part of Kaede's backstory until now and (b) suddenly introducing extreme physical violence with no setup is on another level of bad storytelling and shows a complete lack of planning by the author. The problem isn't that it's "unrealistic," it's that it came completely out of nowhere and so almost verges into parody.

Hopefully when the new arc starts the quality will return to what it was in the first dozen chapters or so, but I'm not particularly hopeful.
Yeah. I burst out laughing when the random psycho with a knife showed up which made that note at the end even funnier.

Dex-chan lover
You can reduce anything like that to make it sound shallow, though. That, and it's not a random teacher, it's the teacher that raped Kaede.
She was at the back end of the previous chapter.
I made a Pokemon refference that you clearly missed. I know she's the one who raped Kaede.

comeonnow0 explained it pretty well what most of the people here feel about this chapter

Dex-chan lover
I'm not who you were replying to, but let me take a stab (😉) at explaining the criticisms of this. As an aside, technically, it was a slash, not a stab, but even I don't really care.
She tried to stab Kaede but accidentally slashed Tsubasa😅. And thanks for explaining the feelings of many of us.

Dex-chan lover
And yes, that sometimes does happen in real life. Personalities can change drastically. But that doesn't make for a good story, a narrative where the author could've, if the author wanted, elaborated on how and why that happened. In real life, I can't see a flashback of your past, but in this work, the author just made the sensei a shallow tool.
Imo this is the long and short of it. Whether or not it's realistic is sort of second to how it's executed in a fictional story, and I don't think it was done well at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread