She Brought Up the Friendly Protagonist as a Villain. - Ch. 3.5 - ANNOUNCEMENT, NOT AN EPISODE

Aggregator gang
The author should have let his work get some more credibility before doing this imo. The story is nothing outstanding and the only gimmick is the caring father and a lead that might not be a villain so it isn't really something I would want to spend money on if I could since it doesn't interest me much. But still I respect his decision.

Honestly, I think the author should focus on his health first, if he feels like his wrist and or body is about to give out then he should stop for a while before he permanently damages his money maker.

But then again, I have no place to talk.

@k4shira I don’t think you understand the feeling of the author here. Firstly you need to realize that there are dozens of aggregators out there who make illegally profit for something they didn’t make and/or are legal to do. While the original authors just suffer. The author totally has the right to make a statement about this, and people should respect her wishes. You wouldn’t like it either if your work got edited, spread online without your knowledge and copyrighted. I’ve seen a ton of scanlation teams who have literally claim a series as “theirs”. As if it is their creation, which is totally not the case of course.

Another author who made it clear she didn’t want illegal translations of her works once stated that it was as if her precious baby got kidnapped and things were being done with her baby without her control/consent/knowledge.

There might be a huge demand for it internationally, but it is impossible to legally release every single webtoon internationally. Especially when they are so small and unknown. Just like normal books, not every book can get a publisher.

Furthermore, say if it gets picked up by a legal distributor, how many people do you think would spend money on something they’ve read before and/or can find online for free. There might be some of course but pretty sure she wouldnt be able to make a lot out of that. So better shut it down early if you would look at it financially.

Double-page supporter
@UniYuki true until you realize it's basically an appeal to emotion trying to hide some greed, imagine being like "wow i destroyed myself and they thanking them for translating instead of showering me with care and affection, did it tell you my wrist hurts, oh also i've been hospitalized for drawing for you guys" let's be real, any author deserves all rights to their works, but when you try to paint a picture of fan translators being thanked as if they claimed the work as their own which is totally false, have you ever seen anyone say anything other than "thank you for translating this"...in conclusion this work fell through the "greed filter" because in these types of situation, if it's was a good story it would still be pirated anyway since morality isn't really a thing you respect when your 2 biweekly minutes of dopamine shot is on the line and this isn't one of those cases

welp, the translation is done for free and they are not really making any money on it here on mangadex anyway.... Feels weird to call the translaters greedy as they most likely dont make anything from translating .

Double-page supporter
Welp, I can't afford to read the native language & pay for the release every update, if it's a paid subscription. So what can I do? Look for scanlated works. If there's none, I'll look for translated LNs. If there's none? I'll guess I have to write or draw my own? But I'm not a pro :(

Fed-Kun's army
I get the concern because I’m always scared of one day having my art reposted. (My awful deviantArt high school fan art is floating around on Pinterest still 🤦‍♀️) It’s just frustrating when there’s a work that isn’t in your language or even relatively close to it so you have to rely on scanlations to understand what’s going on. At the very least try to get it localized here. I will say too, I like to read before I buy (which is why I hate pay to read apps like Tappy Toon or Tapas) especially since libraries are less accessible now, but by reading before I know if I’ll want to support the work. I purchased a lot of localized manga recently only since I was able to read it online/for free previously. There are pros and cons. But oh well, thanks for your work this far. 💝

You could localize the series as a way to abolish piracy on your series. By then, people wouldn't have a reason to do so.

Dex-chan lover
But if they're not translated, it's not like we'll read it in the original language? So, how does this hurt the author's income? I genuinely don't get it.

Just learn Korean 4Head.

Piracy and scalations is what has helped anime, manga, and webtoons/manhwa become ever increasing popular in foreign countries. Doesn't make it any less morally questionable or abhorrent depending on your point of view, but it's simply a fact. Like video game piracy, it's healthy for the spread and growth of the sector and future profits. From a business perspective there's no incentive to crackdown on piracy unless a large amount of profit is being lost somehow. Official English publishers even gauge and see what is currently trending in the illegal content community so they can license something with less risk of it being a slump.

Obviously, the author has pride in their work, but egoing on fan scalations which does nothing to hurt the author and is counterproductive to the success of their work and possibly being officially published in other languages, just seems misinformed.

Also, the webtoon is publicly available on Naver, which often publishes webtoons in English if they get popular enough. If you take a good look on the front page you'll find a lot of series that became popular here and "coincidentally" got translated to English on Naver's English branch.

Aggregator gang
Oh well, okey. I sincerely hope the artist's health gets better.
Thank you the translation group, you've done a good job 🤗

As much as we non Korean speakers are only able to only enjoy these series from scanlators, there is ZERO excuse or reason to justify continuing to do so unless this is financially supporting the author and original licensor.

Complaining about not being able to read it otherwise is frankly, insulting the author by asking them to work for free. Even if you wanted to pay for the services of a licensed English distributor, using that reason is an excuse.

It hurts the author because they are not agreeing to their OWN ORIGINAL WORK being translated. No exceptions. Greed isn't always a monetary value. Even if we weren't mean or evil, at the end of the day someone's original work is being taken without their permission.

If an author only wants their work in Korean, then accept that for what it is. Drop this if you can't read it. Your hobby reading this is NOTHING compared to the author's livelihood. There is no "false sense of authority" because they have 100% rights to how their work is distributed as agreed to by their official distributor.

For those of us reading translated works, this should be by far the one thing that is non-negotiable. Respect artists, their works, and their wishes in regards to their works.

Can scantilators send the translated comic to the author so they could post them? That way English speakers can read, and the author gets their credit.

Naver cans fan projects and then never releases them in English, so I don’t trust them with anything.

I understand how the author is feeling bitter over these translations especially since they're probably mentally stressed by being in the hospital but I don't think they needed to condemn the translators. The translators don't do this for money. They do this for the joy of spreading a good story. Well, I really have no opinion on what the author wants to do since it's their opinion and no one has the right to criticize him so if the author doesn't want it, then okay. Sure, why not?

Users who are viewing this thread