She Likes Gays, but Not Me

Aggregator gang
I'm not one for BL, but the caliber of writing here is almost unbelievable. 10/10, can't recommend it enough.

I should have taken that “this is not a love story at heart” and the tags more seriously, was not prepared.

Absolutely heartbreaking, but very well captured. Very real doubts, questions, experiences etc.

I made the mistake of assuming it was going to be like those typical Shoujo BL related stories

I agree with the people that him cheating on his girlfriend was justified.

People can’t help who they love and are attractive to. Because I had these nice neighbors who were a gay couple and they were together for years but it turn out one of the guys was actually a bisexual and he cheated on his husband with another women. And instead of him being understanding of him he was a complete asshole about it (Not going to lie, I saw them hangout together a lot and just thought they were just gal pals just hanging out together like gay guys and girls do) So the guy left him for her and about a year after he ended up taking his own life. And what bothers me about it was instead of trying to be understanding of his ex and moving on with his own life like his ex-husband and his knew lover he choose to end his own life.

The funny thing is, why is it justified for a guy to cheat with a girlfriend/wife for another guy, but it's not justified for a guy to cheat on his boyfriend/husband for another woman?🤔

People can’t help who they love and are attractive to even if it is between a man and a woman, am I wrong?

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Starts as a story of an entitled asshole who you're supposed to sympathize with just because he's gay, then goes completely off the rails and becomes flat-out absurd.

Group Leader
came for the cute art but got heartbroken instead. damn. 10/10 would cry again

This is so good. I hope Jun kun accepts himself and
breaks up with his gay partner. Cheating is a big no, whatever the reason. You need to have a divorce first. And how tf he laid his hands on minors?!?
Jun deserves to be happy.

Dex-chan lover
@Blue_Phenox

Hard disagree. We can all empathize with people who are struggling and trying to come to terms with themselves and have problems in their relationship (this manga being one such extreme example). And I also don't feel as strongly about people who cheat in an abusive relationship (since sometimes the cycle of abuse means you can't escape easily).

But why on earth are we only giving empathy to the cheater and not the cheatee? Just because the other person in the relationship isn't going through similar horrible things in his/her life, he/she doesn't deserve the basic respect and sympathy of someone going through his/her own problems? No. If you cheat, even if you have your own circumstances, and you don't have the basic human decency to cut things off with your current partner or the capability of staying away from relationships in the first place knowing how broken you are - then you are 100% in the wrong for making someone else suffer through this just because you were "suffering".

I've been cheated on before. I know how it can break someone. And I didn't know about how the stuff I did wasn't fulfilling my partner's needs, but instead of telling me, she hid it and decided to seek someone else instead - instead of being the adult and trying to talk it through. Even I had the common courtesy to start telling my partner about my doubts and fears when I was in another relationship where I didn't feel things were working out. BECAUSE I RESPECTED MY PARTNER AS ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. It's not just about me.

I completely understand that gay people also have struggles - some probably even beyond what I could imagine. But it doesn't justify cheating or hurting someone.

Group Leader
@angelonius Don't make assumptions without seeing the ending. Even chapter 10 hints it enough if you compare what Miura says at the end with what Jun thinks in the novel. There is a reason I included it.
Miura has intentions to break up then and there, but since Ono jumped in things got screwy. The crowd expected more and knowing that Jun's reputation would drop more she asked for a kiss. She couldn't let go of him yet. Meanwhile, Jun thinks he has to take "responsibility" for dating her. So he is committed with sticking by her to make up for what he's done.

I have faith in the writer that this story won't be a case of "miraculous" straight-washing, but WTF. @ someone who knows the ending, please assuage my fears~

EDIT: Oh thank god!!!! It wasn't straight-washing, thank the lord.

Dropped. In chapter 10 she outs him to the whole school during the end of year assembly and then forces herself on him by peer-pressuring him into it. Disgusting.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@Yuuri

Spoilered for anyone else reading comments to judge if they wanna read, but please don't mislead people.

He was outed to the entire school before that by Ono... It was lost a bit in the adaptation, but as the translator has stated below, with more context from the novel, you can tell that Miura's intent was to end it there. I don't think the kiss was Miura forcing herself onto him, but a last ditch "You and I both know this is the only way after Ono's messed everything up again for this to end on a 'good' note in the public eye."

If after Ono's speech yelling at Jun 'to take responsibility', Jun didn't kiss her like everyone wanted, how do you think that would have spread? How do you think the crowd reaction would have been? It's the conundrum that even though he's been outed, the school still expects him to be "a good guy," which by their definition includes finally getting with the ~tragic girlfriend.~ It's the sad fact that even though the classes have apparently held discussions about LGBTQ+ topics finally, they still expect him to be able to make the so-called "right move," when in reality, he's been driven into a corner, but HAS also cheated on her, and that relationship is not one that could go on romantically in a healthy way.

Dropping it is your choice, and it's a a very fair choice given how up n down this series goes, but I think given the context of that chapters and the ones before, any character hate could be better (rightfully) directed at
Ono (who the series itself doesn't seem to try to portray as a 'good guy'... but just a fact of life that there will be people like that, unfortunately)

i dont think MC deserves as much hate as he is getting from these comments here

he is still a high school student trying to navigate life and come to terms with his sexuality

not everyone can deal with his circumstances maturely and i like how this manga portrays the subject matter in a more realistic approach

I actually really hate this. Big yikes. Was the person who wrote this a gay man or a woman? I know Japan is like decades behind the West in regards to queer anything, but I read this thinking it could be a little better since it takes itself very seriously. I was wrong. I'll probably still finish reading it. Anyway! a big thanks to the translator/person uploading these. You're doing amazing, sweetie.

Group Leader
@bitterwhiskey
Thanks for the appreciation! ^^ And the author is a homosexual male! And I agree somewhat, the manga adaptation doesn't do the novel nearly as much justice. But that's hard in manga format as the main driving force was Jun's raw, unfiltered thoughts and descriptions of the world around him. Showing some of these scenes in art proved difficult for the artist.

I've been reading this with my girlfriend, we've both been extremely drawn into this. Thank you for translating!

Users who are viewing this thread