Shiawase Kanako no Koroshiya Seikatsu - Vol. 2 Ch. 17

Dex-chan lover
@foist I mostly just view it as an annoyance and a missed opportunity. I wouldn't have even bother to comment about it but for the fact that others are talking about it.

Dex-chan lover
Oh my God, who the fuck cares about how silencers work? Get your crap together and just enjoy the manga, you gun-obsessed nerds.

Anyway, she just killed two dudes who were laughing at some news. Sheesh, she's getting a bit too liberal with the pistol there.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona because this WHOLE discussion is irrelevant, if you want to fight the incorrect usage of silencers/supressors in fiction this is the wrong place

this is NOT the place for gun nerds, because this story is about asassins and hitman and NOT about guns
therefore this whole thing here is unneeded toxic flaming and nothing more

@AnonymousWeeaboo yes slasher can also be something like a killer with a gun in japan and is greatly used for unseen kills. Maybe it is a bit wrong like the silencer thing, but in the end its stupid to discuss it
mention it once is ok, but this situation in the comments here is unneeded and unnecessary

PS: Am i the only one who has a potential problem/worry with people (like in merica) who like "their" guns too much?

@Scrabbleman
I’m pretty sure the guy she killed was the guy on the photo, barring the friend of course.

@Purplelibraryguy
I think she was hired to kill him because judging by their dialogue, I think the target and the old man were the ones looting and this dumbass thinks the newstory is about someone else

Dex-chan lover
@Dragou If that's how it is in Japan, fine. That's not how it is in English, but I can make some concessions for a piece of foreign media being translated into English.

As far as "the situation in the comments section," I have no real desire to read through 3 pages of comments. I saw an argument that was total bullshit, so I rebutted it, and I stuck around for about 15 minutes to reply to any replies. That's really the totality of my investment in the debate.

Dex-chan lover
@CookieMuncher

Yeah no problems for me here.
Most people don't know much about firearms in general let alone the inevitable spiral into minutiae gun discussions get into. That and this is a cutesy pun manga, so we as readers should temper our expectations lol.

Add that gun enthusiasts are a VERY argumentative bunch. It's one reason I generally don't "talk shop" on it haha. I mean, just figure out which people are in the 10mm and .45 ACP camps, then ask what's "better" without any context and watch the fireworks lol.

Fed-Kun's army
@AnonymousWeeaboo
nor does that change the fact the author retconned the murder to a knife kill in the next chapter for seemingly no reason (unless "slasher" is meant to be just a general term for all murderers, but that doesn't make sense in English because a "slasher" specifically uses a bladed weapon by slashing, though I suppose the slasher may perform the "finishing blow" with a stab or a bludgeon or a gunshot).
Doing my own research, the original Japanese used the term "通り魔 " which translates to "random attacker; slasher​" in English. This is a distinct term from "murderer" which would be "人殺し" in Japanese. I think the translator just literally translated the term straight into "slasher", not understanding that the nuance of "slasher" in English refers to something completely different. In Japanese, the term appears to refer to anything that is a random or unplanned attack, while in English the term "slasher" refers specifically to someone using sharp knives to kill people. In this case, I don't believe the author retconned his own storyline, as much as "slasher" not being the correct term to translate over "random attacker", leaving that inconsistency to be a translation issue instead.

That doesn't resolve the shooting a gun in a loaded train part, but it does explain where the inconsistency came from.
I have attached the raw Japanese page that used the term "通り魔 " for reference if anyone wants to double check.
0037.76a48dfe3a102aa8b4bd70668cabcf25.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona this whole duscussion avalanche here is still not needed and even deplaced to begin with. From guns to the slasher thing now (that isnt even that wrong, depending on the culture it came from and the place this manga plays (surprise it is in japan and therefore they use their slang))
Cant we just stop it and let it be?

Fed-Kun's army
@MolluskMan
Looking up the etymology of the word in English, the first use of "Slasher" to refer to killing comes from the 1559, and then the term was popularized by the "slasher" film genre. In that case though, I am aware of no "slasher film" that has the titular "slasher" use guns as opposed to edged weapons. I suppose after the term "slasher film" saturated the popular conscience it could be used to refer to any mass murderer, but even if that were the case, how the term was used then, and how the term is used now are two different things. I don't believe you'd find anyone referring to a modern day murderer using a gun as a "slasher".

Fed-Kun's army
@Dragou
If it's unrelevant to you, leave the comment section. This is the place where comments and discussions are supposed to be had. No one is forcing you to read, no one is forcing you to respond. The chapter depicts a silencer, any discussion of it is relevant. The translator earlier in the series used the word "slasher", that makes it relevant to the discussion. This isn't a situation where a completely random subject is being brought up, both of these are immediately relevant to the content matter.
this is NOT the place for gun nerds, because this story is about asassins and hitman and NOT about guns
therefore this whole thing here is unneeded toxic flaming and nothing more
I'm sorry, does she not use guns? I'm at a complete lose at how you arbitrarily arrived at the conclusion that an assassin using guns to kill people means that guns are not relevant.

PS: Am i the only one who has a potential problem/worry with people (like in merica) who like "their" guns too much?
You are literally the only one on earth yes.

Well yes, by the defintion you have set up, I don't think anyone would disagree. By definition, if someone loves guns "too much", they love guns more than they should, and therefore you would worry. I also think you would be concerned by people that love guns "too little" as well, because that would imply they don't love guns enough. If you instead meant the criticism that people that are "knowledgeable" about guns worry you. I wouldn't agree, but by definition, I am also worried by people who love guns "too much" because of how the term "too much" works.

Dex-chan lover
@Chrona Like I said, I'll accept that it's a thing in Japan and that it just doesn't translate perfectly to English. That was only one of the points that I made, anyway, and it wasn't even the most important (after all, I did say it happened "for seemingly no reason," which would make sense if it was actually just something that didn't translate well but fits perfectly fine in Japanese).

Honestly, I don't even mind the whole "silencers make guns perfectly silent" thing, I've just come to accept that almost nobody outside of gun enthusiasts and other gun owners knows what suppressors do (hell, they usually don't know that discharging a firearm without hearing protection or a suppressor will permanently damage your hearing because they're so loud) and that it's likely never going to change unless there's a big push for awareness or a big mainstream movie that actually uses them correctly, my main problem was the argument that calling a suppressor a silencer is somehow a problem. It's not and it never has been, only complete autists that don't know what they're talking about but think they do have a problem with that, the literal inventor of suppressors also called them silencers as slang and the term has been used for over a century now to refer to suppressors.

Edit: Rereading my initial point about the slasher thing, I see that I also mentioned in that post that it could make sense if slasher was meant to refer to murderers in general but that if it was then it doesn't really make sense in English. It seems to be pointed out now that it was intended that way, and it doesn't really make sense in English. That's just how it is sometimes when you're translating from one language to another, there are cultural and linguistic barriers that make certain things difficult to convey once translated.

She really doesn't care about killing people other than her targets, does she. I'd expect someone to stalk their target and kill them when they're alone, this woman just kills the person and their friend.

It's a SoL manga about an Assasin who was an office lady, and you guys are fighting over the "correct" use of a silencer. Americans smh

Dex-chan lover
Ok now I see that this Chrona guy is a complete toxic troll, best is ignoring them, like all of us should, have a nice day everyone.

This does bring up the question as to who's even putting out the hits for these random strangers

Dex-chan lover
@Plippity
This does bring up the question as to who's even putting out the hits for these random strangers
Based on this very thread, someone who argues about inaccurate firearm portrayal/terminology in a surreal/absurdist dark humor manga that is peppered-Peppa-Pig with colorful visual animal puns is precisely the kind of target the increasingly-accustomed-to-casual-murder-of-irritations-minor-and-major-regardless-of-circumstances Kanako would be hired to eliminate.

Users who are viewing this thread