Shigahime - Vol. 4 Ch. 25 - Transfigure

Group Leader
This will be the last chapter until sometime in May when the digital edition of volume 5 is released(which will include the next batch of chapters).

That being said there are digital versions of the magazine chapters but I'm lazy and don't want to deal with redraws for all the extra text you usually find in magazine chapters versus the cleaned up tankobon/volume chapters.

Go ahead and translate the next chapters if anyone is too eager and can't wait, if not see you all in May :D

Dex-chan lover
So many twists and turns.

I wonder if there's something to Chika resembling Miwako, or it's just the way the art is.

Dex-chan lover
So what is the explanation for her 180 change of character? Brainwashing? Magic?

@criver

I invoke the "drunk on the dark side" trope. When you know you're a monster, you know you're being evil, and yet it feels better than sex.

That, or Chika always had her own share of perverse urges and becoming a Shiga let her go wild.

@criver
well you see it in almost every page i assume. she cannot perceive humans anymore, everything looks like food to her. the character change is a pretty common trope at this point but i think despite all the other shortcomings of the story this i think is rather handled well.

Dex-chan lover
@Pocman512 Not unless it is explained that it also affects your superego which you've had hammered into you since you were born.
@moel @philip@Ottaw
My issue is really with how easily and quickly she defaulted to the (supposedly already present even if not hinted at) dark traits in her character, which at least to me feels unrealistic and artificial, in which case my explanation was that there's an omitted brainwashing or magical explanation. It doesn't help that her original behaviour was too far removed from this. The part where she breaks and 'goes to the dark side' simply isn't there.

This so fcked up. Where are Guts, Van Helsing or Doom slayer when you need them.

@criver

She broke the moment Hirota stabbed her guts, and losing to her thirst for blood and devouring that poor jogger only helped. Miwako toying with her (because let's be honest, this triangle drama is temporary amusement and little else as far as Miwako is concerned) was a finishing touch.

tl;dr you don't need brainwashing or "magic" to give in to depravity. The dark side, mutations, whatever - the common thing of "bad" powers is that it almost always feels awesome, and the more awesome it feels the more of it you crave.

this fucked up manga became even more fucked up.... welp, I should continue reading, I guess....

Dex-chan lover
@philip My point is that her 'breaking' can't really just happen automagically in a split second. He stabbed her yes, but then her character took a 180 turn. Basically it was too quick and too much.

This is poetically twisted. Hirota Osamu and Murase Chika, they are each others last bastion or the bond that keeps their monstrous side in check. It may have been a coincidence, but to think that Osamu would hurt her. Inconcivable in her view, betrayed by your loved one. The pain will come back tenfold i believe. Now that she's a broken mess, what Osamu will do in the next chapters is crucial. He strayed further away from his humanity with his conflict with glasses kun, i don't see him going through this with his sanity intact. Miwako, horrible as she is, an amazing villain! Hope she gets her slice of desparity in the end.

Damn, didnt expect her to do this. Props to the author for not fucking up the story!

Users who are viewing this thread