Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - Vol. 4 Ch. 43

And now all together:
D'awww.
I am glad this got resolved without much drama. We have no need for any ntr around here.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, the crucifix is gonna bug me. You don't zero in on a symbol of faith, especially since I am reasonably certain that Christianity is very much a minority, like that repeatedly for no reason.

I would say it's representative of the way she sacrifices her own emotions for others, but it gets limelight even after that's been resolved. Does a crucifix have any particular meanings specifically in Japan?

Dex-chan lover
so cute but sad at same time
TKimdVd.png

Like @icarushector I kind of find the crucifix strange. I think that the image of christianity in Japan tends to be romanticized quite a bit, so it might be difficult to explain with only western knowledge.

Maybe the author want some sort of virginal, nun-like feeling? Or just some simple association christian woman => nun => kind, or something?

Dex-chan lover
@Haikaka honestly, I see Christianity and it's symbols associated more often with villains than good guys (excluding nuns for some reason). For instance, the double hit monk from Kenshin wears a cross, the masked dude from Black Bullet, the half-vampire from kizumonogatari is literally using a cross as a weapon, the Iscariot from Hellsing. So I tend to get worried when I see a character with a cross motif.

@icarushector I get you, but I guess those are not slice of life references. I am quite sure there is a manga about a prisonner in death row and a young christian girl visiting him, with an image that is not necessarily negative. edit:Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan. I have a hard time finding other... SoL +christianity isn't that common.

There are also plenty of kind nuns in isekais (not realy christian in the story but with christian codes, take black clover for instance). Well, a male believer seen in a positive way is something I have yet to see though

Group Leader
Sometimes a series is embued with Christianity because the author is a Christian. For example, Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie is heavily influenced by Christianity as the author, YAMAHANA Noriyuki, is a Christian. Christian authors seem to weigh in heavily with forgiveness, even more so than the typical Japanese author.

Fed-Kun's army
@haikaka this is off-topic-ish for the chapter, but it would honestly be very nice and refreshing to read something with a legitimately good male christian (or obv inspired by christians) I mean, even if you don’t like or believe in religion, and there are bad practitioners, there are also great ones, and could even be used for comedic effect if in a more lighthearted series.

Dex-chan lover
A bit too many crucifix shots for it to not be referencing Christianity, but I have no idea how that relates to what's going on in this chapter.

From what I could tell, crosses are more of a fashion statement in Japan. There are also associations with forgiveness as a theme so I wouldn't put too much religious importance in the author's choice to show a cross.

Users who are viewing this thread