Shingeki no Eroko-san ~Hen na Oneesan wa Danshikousei to Nakayoku Naritai~

Power Uploader
@RobDog HAS is aiming for accurate TL while we favor localization (so there's some rooms for improvisation), thus one might say HAS is better in term of TL. It's up to reader's preference though.

Group Leader
@RobDog Ours is the better translation, hands down. It’s not a matter of accuracy versus localization, and that kind of thinking (you can either be accurate or read well) is silly to begin with, because translation is about matching the actual verbiage being used with the tone and style characters speak in. In terms of actual verbiage being used, I have no idea where TOOR is coming up with a lot of their translations. To name a few, Umi no ie is not “beach resort”, it's a beachside restaurant/equipment rental shack. A beach resort is somewhere people actually rent rooms to sleep, and is generally a luxurious vacation spot. Rokotsu is not “plain” like they wrote when Hoshi-kun is looking at the swimsuit he picked out for her, it means that it's lewd and shows a lot of skin. The stuff Eroko says on page 17 of chapter 6 has nothing to do with “delusions about Hoshi-kun liking her” because he does actually like her and she knows it. When you have mistranslations like that last one, it actually changes what’s happening in the story as well.

These aren’t isolated issues, either. Looking at their translations for chapter 8, there really isn’t a single page without errors on it that show the translator doesn’t understand what they’re reading. With respect to localization, what people usually mean by that is changes made to help the English read more smoothly and natural, but their translations do none of that. You’ll see a lot of phrases that look like they were just run through google translate, and then other’s that are either not translated at all, or outright removed when they don’t want to deal with them. Looking at the part where Hoshi-kun tells the older guys to leave them alone, they had one of his lines as "Aren't you quite the douche for an adult?" This doesn't make any sense at all. I know trash talk can be tricky to write sometimes, but Hoshi-kun wasn't trash talking them yet. He was chastising them for not having manners despite their age, and then the trash talk came later. You can tell it came later because Nao says that he's reverting to delinquency. Their line reads like the translator kind of had a vague idea of what was going on in the scene, but not really, and then the proofreader tried to smooth it out. What you end up with is something that sounds ridiculously awkward in English, and is off the mark in terms of the Japanese they used.

Just looking at the title, they left it as Shingeki no Eroko whereas we made it Attack on Eroko, so I don’t know why Ron is saying their group localizes more. Another example is the extra for chapter 7 where she says his earing is 痛かわいい (itakawaii). Anyone who actually knows Japanese knows that combining the kanji 痛 with words like that is used to mean that something is painful to look at, or cringe-worthy. Googling 痛車 or 痛板 will give you great examples of this. We translated that word in that chapter as “cringe-cute”, whereas they just wrote “cute”. Cute is neither accurate nor a localization that reads well, it’s just plain wrong. Bringing up chapter 8 again, their translation misses what a lot of jokes mean, or just omits them from the script entirely.

Everything I just wrote may seem harsh or over the top, but as a group we really dislike when people blatantly lie about their translation quality to try to trick people into reading their releases because they want more clicks or donations or whatever. If you have questions about other specific lines, feel free to ask because there are a lot of differences between the chapters they’ve released and ours, and there are honest to God too many Japanese translation issues or English writing issues to fit into a single post here.

tl;dr – Translations don’t have to be only either accurate or readable, they should be both. Theirs are neither.

Finally, an "Onee-san and boi" story that the boy is an actual fkn chad. The only bad thing of this story is it slows down the main story

Dex-chan lover
New reader here!

So! Which version is better? HAS or TOOR!?

Dex-chan lover
Henjo - Turtle pace
Eroko - Hare on steroids going at ludicrous speed
I hope it will keep going this way
Fait accompli, fait accompli

Dex-chan lover
@GalladeGuy Thanks! I didn't notice the comments below mine discussing the same matter (my fault for being lazy, but I didn't think it would be such a hot topic).

Fed-Kun's army
Who falls for a 27yo woman, she's basically out of eggs and all used up at that point!
Saggy skin, stretch marks, high mileage, what's the point!?

Dex-chan lover
@alex68785
I'm really glad you took your time to write this message, and I agree with you.
Translations from different groups change the story completely, and its really sad when all they do is google translate them, like many Korean web-comics.
Now, what I cannot fathom to understand is, how can they be satisfied with themselves when they see "or not" their own work.
I would support the artist and writer, but if its not in English and under 10 bucks, low chances. I cannot burst so much money for everyone, even more if its just on that particular manga.

I personally, never submit anything that has not been re-read by myself.

Group Leader
@Savarizki: Dare I suggest you also read "Unbalance x 2"?

And, with those things taken into account, a small and quick review of the series, and comparison with Henjo:
As far as I can tell, Henjo has two main things to offer: Fanservice from Senko, and humour. But neither of those things really "sticks" for me, so I dropped it after 20 chapters.
This, in contrast, has three main things to offer: Fanservice from Eroko, humour, and romantic progression. And I like all three of those things! Eroko because she's juicier, its humour because it's more relatable to me, and of course (as @VooXoo aptly said) the romantic progression. At the end of the day, I just feel happy for them! That alone sets it apart from Henjo.

Contributor
Didn’t want to read this until Henjo Volume 14 was scanlated. Caved in anyway.

This is great, man. There’s a lot of progress, but their mental barriers slow it down to a point where I’m screaming for them to just fucking make out and fuck already. So as to not run the risk of burning through all the phases of a relationship too early.

But seriously, guys, don’t get all nervous. You guys clearly want to fucking bang each other 6 ways from Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread