Shiori Experience: My Plain Self and an Odd Old Man - Vol. 14 Ch. 64 - Giant Killing Killers

Dex-chan lover
Nice, it's back.

Every new chapter I'm amazed again by the author's ability to visualize sound. You'd think music might be nigh-impossible to convey through a mute medium, but here we are, and it just works. What a great manga.

Contributor
Just popping my head in to repeat the endcard: we're looking for a new translator to fill the main TL position on this project. If you're fluent in Japanese and want to help keep the series going, let us know.
Really hope you guys find someone open for it. It’s a great series, and if it never gets officially licensed I want to see how it goes.

Man, you guys even did the SFX? Must be some tough work.

The SFX in this manga is something I think people might miss sometimes. When the manga wants to focus on instrument playing, the author usually puts a lot of focus into the onomatopoeia. Each instruments would have a different style and even arrangement sometimes.

If you go back to Ch. 20 (when the drummers were practicing) you can see the differences of SFX arrangements between an amateur (crooked, asymmetrical) and a pro (competely straight and vertical). This manga really does not skip corners when conveying music.

Double-page supporter
Nice, it's back.

Every new chapter I'm amazed again by the author's ability to visualize sound. You'd think music might be nigh-impossible to convey through a mute medium, but here we are, and it just works. What a great manga.
I think more than any other series I want an anime for Shiori Experience. I think if they can manage the music licensing and make the original songs stand out along with some stellar animation it would be a masterpiece.

Side note: the credits page got me, fuckin peggle 2

Double-page supporter
The art for this manga is so fucking good. The artist is so talented man.

Dex-chan lover
I think more than any other series I want an anime for Shiori Experience. I think if they can manage the music licensing and make the original songs stand out along with some stellar animation it would be a masterpiece.

Side note: the credits page got me, fuckin peggle 2
I'm honestly of the opposite opinion. I think the visual design of shiori is so spectacular that it'd be incredibly difficult to really score music that's supposed to feel as good as the visual design makes it look. I fear an animation would just create another Carol and Tuesday.

Dex-chan lover
I'm honestly of the opposite opinion. I think the visual design of shiori is so spectacular that it'd be incredibly difficult to really score music that's supposed to feel as good as the visual design makes it look. I fear an animation would just create another Carol and Tuesday.
^Completely agree.
Just to add, some of the songs they made are visually shown to be as impactful to the audience as the famous classics. Some of musical skills shown are shown to emulate skills from very famous musicians.
These comparisons mean that done improperly any adaptations they do with audio could instead “insult” the original songs and musicians. At that point what kind of budget do they need just to produce the original music...

Personally I hope to never see the adaptation of this series, at least with an audio over the performances. They could still be clever and show the music visually just like the manga, but a series about music with no audio on the most crucial bits? Why even do the adaptation?

Double-page supporter
This is one of those series that I don't mind not having an anime adaptation/series, it's always a treat when Shiori Experience got updated. One of the best mangas out there to date.

Just popping my head in to repeat the endcard: we're looking for a new translator to fill the main TL position on this project. If you're fluent in Japanese and want to help keep the series going, let us know.
Hey there! If you’re still looking for translators I’d love to try for the position! Shiori Experience is one of my favorite series of all time and it’d be a shame to see it dropped!

Dex-chan lover
God this manga never ceases to amaze me with how they depict music performances. Love the way they used the SFX to build off of each other to show the strength of their unit. Or just the character development showing that the Shiori squad isn't crushed by being outdone anymore. They're just riding that wave.

Dex-chan lover
Ironic that a soundless story about music could ring so clear

Users who are viewing this thread