Shounen, Chotto Sabotteko? - Vol. 3 Ch. 24 - Wanna stay out of the rain?

This one flows a lot better than squiggles, feels more natural. Thanks for alternate version

MD@Home
I'll never understand people that have a hang up about mixing Japanese into English translations (except in cases where it really doesn't make sense), probably because English is my second language and most people I talk to are bilingual so a mix of both languages is kinda expected.

Group Leader
This translation is pretty high quality. Personally, I enjoy reading translations that stick to the source as much as possible because there are nuances in the words used which shows the Japanese culture/setting better (e.g. cooking lunch for someone vs making someone a bento). It's the reason I don't like localized versions much. This definitely flows better, although I never noticed any issues with the current group's translations. And honestly, I'm here for the art and what they're up to each chapter, so I might be the wrong person for this translation.

I do agree that onomatopoeia should be translated instead of literally translating each character though.

Dex-chan lover
Why is this being deleted? Did CAT just tryna to fill in, and then they saw that squiggles/shinsengumi chapters are uploaded, they didn't need to "fill in" anymore?

Giving my opinion, because why not.

I like the feel of this translation a bit more, mostly because it is more localized, which in most cases feels better for a translation, that is aimed at an audience, that doesnt speak Japanese. Terms like Onee-san are barely translatable, so nothing bad in not changing that, and I think the choice of kiddo for Shounen is also not bad, both word mean pretty much the same anyways.
Personally I think the other translation did a better job at conveying the intended mood, though I guess that is a bit unfair comparison. Overall a decent job, except the phrase with the kappa, that is mistranslated.

Group Leader
This version has better translations, but I had to read the other one. Why? Because I'd rather read sometimes awkward English than have the OL not call him Shounen 🤣

Group Leader
Hmm, so you translate "shounen" but not "onee-san" ? Which in this case is basically "miss" or "big sis" depending on context (public or private talk, I guess).
Overall the translation is smoother for sure, but I feel both translations are being awkward with their way.

This one feels more like sticking to English words as much as possible but still translate cultural values like making a bento rather than cooking for someone (as seen in Squiggles), but not all of them (Shounen for instance, yet Onee-san is kept). Squiggles share the same awkwardness as they seem to care more about keeping the mood of the original, but in the end also translates some things too much in English (first example, cooking, as mentioned already by someone else and here again), losing part of what they strive for (or what it looks like they strive for).

Overall, this one is smoother, definitely. But you both share that same awkwardness, translating things (or choosing not to) that don't make sense, either go at it full way and translate everything into absolute English or keep using the Japanese words that make sense for the situation, the ones that loses their Japanese culture/setting meaning when translated into English words.
I'd rather hope the second choice's picked up. And just like Dijon, damn, it hurts to see her call him "kiddo" instead of "shounen" (even though the translation is completely valid).

Fed-Kun's army
Damn, basically everything about this one is superior to the other. The only problems I can see is the redrawing sometimes and I do prefer the use of different fonts from the other group.

Besides those though, great work and thank you for picking it up. The other translation was so bad I just had to drop the series because it was too distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread