Shounin Yuusha wa Isekai wo Gyuujiru! - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Contributor
Plant anything and you can grow it. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

I am going to enjoy this. Oh yes, I am REALLY going to enjoy this.

@MasterPannya May be true, but they would most likely try to find a way to exploit it for themselves, as the MC already realizes.

Dex-chan lover
@MasterPannya if it is coinage minted with a value different from the prize of the raw materials, then yes. This includes stuff like paper money or modern coins, and if there is a drawing or other pattern on it then its very likely the case (fun fact, iirc for many countries modern coins metals cost more than the coins value. As opposed to the inflated value one might expect a country to aim for, like how paper money is really cheap to print, but worth a lot). However, in more medieval times, currencies were usually more linked to the metals they were made of. I am unsure about lower denominations such as copper, but at least silver and gold coins value depended heavily on the purity and weight. This is part of the reason why you often see merchants in stories have a portable scale they bring with themselves everywhere (another part is that checking the weight, combined with the size of the coin, were a quick and dirty way to check for counterfeits that used lower purity or gold-plating something less valuable).

I have no clue if this speculation is true (its all my own), but I suspect that the reason for this (that gold and silver coins value were dependent on the materials) is to a greater extent because of the lack of globalization. You could encounter coinage from far away, and any value based on the trust of that country would quickly fall by distance. Similarly, countries would be both more sensitive to, and reluctant to enable, other countries screwing over their economy by minting a lot of coins (the news of inflation spreads slower). That it was easier to copy the patterns and make counterfeits would also make a country reluctant to place a value on the coins that said coins couldn't support by themselves.

Dex-chan lover
so basically he can make copies of anything he planted.

so i guess he'll get a literal money tree if he plants money bills.
take that mom, money DOES grow on trees.

Dex-chan lover
Goods and money growing on fields. The true face of fantasy game economy.

@Ovnidemon - I think he said that it's alright to plant just a part of a sword or a shield, like with potatoes.

@Talith - growing gold means devaluing all other gold, which is like robbing everybody at once. While our world's governments do it with paper money, the MC is too principled for that. As he said, "that's just me doing exploitation instead". He chooses to do something productive instead, making it a win-win situation for both sides.

Dex-chan lover
Wow people in this world aren't imaginative, it took a drunk guy to make sense of the ability. I seen the potential immediately, and I already saw what I could do with it, hell, even the grow part was vague. If an ability is vague, it typically means there is more too it, and you should experiment

Dex-chan lover
Does his abilities make exact copies or are there natural mutations? If he buries a book, are the contents the same?

If he used it on a person dose it make corpses, infants, or grown ppl? An interesting way to introduce a new race, the sylvari.

Can he use his ability on things that are not fully buried or detached? If he buries his hand in the dirt and uses his ability; will he eventually grow and extra hand? Can he keep the new and original hand and have 3 functional hands?

Dex-chan lover
Well, this looks pretty interesting. Also, at least the girl managed to beat the bandit before her weapon broke.

Dex-chan lover
If nothing else, I love the depiction of alcohol-induced ideas in this chapter.

Group Leader
People asking if he can clone himself... would you actually want that?
I mean, I would clone a younger me to exchange bodies, or to harvest organs... but I definitely wouldn't want a doppelganger.

Now, after seeing the possibilities of the Skill, and the fact that he has a status window, the first thing I would research is if there is a "level up potion" in the world... or something that indefinitely increases a Stat. Then I would make myself invincible... Being an immortal superhuman would be a good deterrent for people trying to enslave me for my Skill, I think.
Then, I'd try making money, making the risk of exposing my Skill inconsequential.

,what frustrates me about isekai that start with everyone thinking his skill sucks relies on them all being extremely stupid. healing skill, creation skill, summoning skill, etc. somehow people can't see how that can be useful because i guess in there world nobody needs the support roles. and why is it that they always make judgments 5 seconds after seeing the hero. isekai characters somehow have not heard about leveling up or training.

Dex-chan lover
wait wait wait to not be exploited like his parents were he goes to the city and joins a black company to be . . .exploited for cheap labor . . . and low wages . . .
. . .
. . .
. . .this guys an idiot

Thanks for the chapter!
It's really daunting when people don't do any research or ask around for info. After all, everybody knows money grows on trees! So why is it on a vine? Seriously though shouldn't grow a lot of money. Worst case some government official stops by to get a first hand view of things are going and see it, but part of reason money is valued is because there's only so much of it around. If he grew gold and somehow managed to avoid getting caught the value of gold would decrease due to him using so much of it. In any case he should've disguised himself and left the country with his goods after harvesting everything. While the fence will keep passerby from looking in, sooner or later some arrogant official will visit or send someone to visit to make sure he's selling everything he's growing or see what he's up to. Then he'd be in real trouble once it's discovered he can grow anything. Heck somebody is probably looking to see who's making so many weapons and armor that are so uniform. Curious if he leaves the stuff on the vine/plant/tree/etc. too long if it'll start wilting or not.

Users who are viewing this thread