Sincerely: I Became a Duke's Maid - Vol. 1 Ch. 39

MC is already been in that world for years but she didn't bother to learn writing and reading the language (it was mentioned in one of the chapters before), she is moron who doesn't think about the future, how to elevate herself, how to help Alejandro beside babying (and caring) him.

How could she write a letter for him if she can't read?

Contributor
Has even been years? She only got her memory back at the start of the story, or rather replaced that world's self.

@Mingxingxing

As a maid who works 12+ hours a day it's hard to find time to learn. Plus she has to find someone who can teach her. From the looks of it the Butler and Head Maid are probably the only 2 on staff who can read and write. In the Victorian Era, it was rare for a normal maid to read and write at a competent literacy and usually were lucky that someone took the time to teach them. Illiteracy was still common among the working/poor class even into the early 1900s. Most people back then were more concerned with surviving so they sacrificed education for survival. Even if education was given in certain areas, people didn't complete more than 6th grade level at best and a huge majority didn't complete past 2nd-3rd grade. Women were often lower in education standards than males too to boot. They discouraged educating women in many areas. The US is kind of a oddity in some aspects because at colonization was considered more literate than even Europe, but that highly varied from region to region as well. For example the North was very literate and down South, it dropped by half.

There's a lot of herp derp moments in this series but I do like a) realistic view on social class barriers and b) a rare rare isekai that doesn't insta grant god tier literacy and shit.

Man so, I just remembered, a big part of how she's kept the guy in check is by promising to always be there for him. Oh boy are things going to go awfully when he thinks she left him. I mean it's what is best for both of them as this isn't healthy for them but man things are going to be awful at first.

Alejandro is gonna be devastated. I wonder if he'll pin the blame on the head maid or on Ibelina for leaving?

Thanks for the chapter.

Double-page supporter
I really like Elaine she's reasonable character, she not believe that curse are contagious and she not being a bitch and explain everything to ibelina I don't know why are you still blindly hate her. OK I know she obstruct their love but bruh she just doing her job to make this estate in order and don't make their master look bad just her being reasonable is enough for me to like her

Fed-Kun's army
ibelina: she may be right...
me: no shit like did she forget shes a maid just because he likes her?? even if she is a maid and cares for like hes a child or smthg thats still crossing the line...

like hh technically if this wasnt a manhwa this would be the right decision but instead communicating with him and trying to reason with him even if he doesnt agree
but it is a manhwa so they gonna get together eventually

He's 17? He just inherited the dukedom.
I guess he's growing up, but it's not time yet for their relationship as he's still too immature.
I just wish she could have talked to him to explain why she needs to leave. I hope she at least leaves a letter to explain

@Raai, the head maid told her what she already knew to be true, but was avoiding. The head maid just has to have the letter Ibee leaves say that Ibee was feeling uncomfortable because of Alejandro's advances because these sorts of things never work out, and that she was uncomfortable and didn't want to hold Alejandro back. The head maid has plenty of cover. The worst would be "why didn't you stop her?!" which she has a valid reason for not doing (characterization wise).

@stal2walk yeah no shit, right. Sometimes people tend to forget that although the romance tag, it's still a webtoon with plot so it will need more than just character with blind af fluff and no common sense.

Aggregator gang
I've been wondering about this since the beginning but.... It seems rather odd that he fell for the girl that called him a monster in the novel. That's one heck of a turnaround!
I wonder how she acted around him when he was all grown up but still had the curse? I can't picture it.

Wow glad that I'm not the only one who hating elenora 😂😂 and thank you as always for the translation 💙💙

@TheDragonLord She has no cover once Alejandro finds out. Not her place since she's a servant. Good intentions or not. Alejandro will be furious either way.

@TheDragonLord i mean if it a "normal" case of sickly young noble, yes. I even will see such act of fancying a pretty maid as a young noble on puberty and nothing more. The maid will be tossed away when the young noble get more mature.

i wont take POV of us as reader but the ppl of the world already knew.

1.Lady elaine not necesarly bad moving.
her act indeed have bases for it. Unfortunately she kinda forgot that ibee and Ale condition is NOT "normal". if this just some duke's son being sick and cared by some maid and happen to fancy them then it is indeed very reasonable to had the maid separate from the noble's son as this will inadvertently only cause future suffering for the maid when the young noble is more mature and abandoning them.

2. The curses, the fact that ibee is the only one caring for the duke when he is still cursed is a very strong reason/justification to let her stand by duke (we regard that ppl don't know ibee is the one cures ale). Especially with ale's father and mother gone the only emotional support and control this household had is Ibee, yes ibee can be used to control Ale which is need for early stages of his maturity.

3. It works both ways, Ibee can be threatened if she is by the Ale's side but she is also safer there as there will be guarantee that Ale will care for her safety even if we assume Ale will no longer fancy Ibee later in life. Elaine also aware that the relation of Ibee and Ale is already spread around and politicaly motivated people will no doubt try to get their hands on Ibee and tried to blackmail Ale. Even if they not sure about whether the rumour is true or not, after all Ibee is just a maid, kidnaping her won't be a big precedent at all so it will be worth a try.

Now i add the POV as reader.

The king will investigate Ale's cure and more or less get info about Ibee, he will probably "abduct" when she no longer by Ale's maid to at least question her. either they will let her go or they will keep her someway.

other had comment about this too.

Users who are viewing this thread