Site slow down + erroring?

Contributor
As of the recent update, I've noticed that the site seems to be taking awhile longer to respond, and that I've been getting CloudFlare 502 errors more often too (stating that it has trouble contacting the origin host).

Not sure if this issue is known, or if it's being worked on, or if maybe MangaDex is being DDoS'd or something.

Contributor
Yea it just started for me as well.

Update: Looks like it might be clearing up.

is a Reindeer
VIP
High traffic. We're thinking about adding a second webserver soon.

I'm getting a lot of individual panels failing to load on longstrip for manhwas. Keep having to refresh.

Contributor
High traffic. We're thinking about adding a second webserver soon.

Yep, looks like it is time for it. Normally, I read at night during my time-zone (Eastern), but since I have been on vacation from work, I have been up more during the daylight hours, and have noticed a considerable difference, particularly starting around 12pm (noon), and is currently going on right now with lots of 502 errors (current time around 2:10pm).

Definitely will be helping with server costs once it is decided. Just a matter of when.

Group Leader
first thing i thought about DDos ?

2nd high Server load (high traffic)

Thanks for fast action now it is working correctly now ?

Miku best girl
Admin
A side effect of the increasing number of users over the holiday period - it's a good thing :p

New servers will be put in place in January to handle further growth.

Small update on site slow down.

I have been experiencing massive slow down around 6:20 GMT every day for the past 2-3 days (those are the days i realised it happening at that time).

I am assuming this is due to some server backup, but the slow is very much massive and i would like to have confirmation on that.

I found that the slow-down started for me on the same day the announcement for the phase 2 of the upgrade being finished? But I also found that later at night for me the site speeds up and the issues go away (GMT+11), have you been getting images failed to load? Was getting that yesterday but followed a Moderators advice and set the image server to a specific one and that issue went away, daytime loading still seems rather sluggish at times though.

Miku best girl
Admin
If you refresh once the the 5xx error goes away, then there's nothing to worry about.
The 5xx errors are caused by a different reason this time and we're close to resolving it.

I never noticed slow load times on anything until today, but the server switch was nineteen days ago according to the date on the announcement post.
Upon opening the website, all the little icons, like the ones that tell you you've already read a specific chapter, were replaced with that weird machine code symbol that looks like 4 symbols in a 2x2 formation that is the same size as the icons they represent.
Then, the page navigation settings is no longer in the sidebar but at the bottom of the screen, which did fix itself after about 20 seconds.
But, none of the images are preloading like they normally do, so every time I turn the page it takes a solid minute.
In addition to this, the forums page I'm typing all this on now is still loading, and the user avatars didn't load until I typed the word "Upon", rendered in bold for the sake of easy finding.
I realize this thread is for a different issue with slow load times, but I didn't want to make a redundant thread in the event that the issues are connected.

I also started experiencing some issues just a few hours ago. It's impossible to read anything, I have to wait about 5-10 mins for 2-3 pages to load...
All in all, the whole site seems to have slowed down quite a bit

Same problem here.
The site worked just fine last night, but today evening I've been unable to read anything because of the massive slowdown and panels fail to load.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Yea, literally takes over 2 mins to load a page, and I just took 1 hour trying to read 3 chapters of manga. Big oof, now I'm reading directly on the scanlator sites.

Yep, same here. It's rather weird. My connection is doing just fine everywhere else on the Internet at my usual haunts.

notification on the main page:

We are aware of the slow loading. The site is probably getting DDoSed, so please bear with us while we work on mitigation.

Aggregator gang
you guys are lucky the slow downs so bad for me that it even starts to tank my internet if I multitab, not to mention can't even read past the cover cause thats all that loads

Users who are viewing this thread