Skip and Loafer - Ch. 61 - Maddening District Competition

Dex-chan lover
IMO Ujiie is in the wrong, he is very ignorant about people. He is still on that fase that he believes he "knows everything".
Still, really, Shima is just too good looking for that role, isn't it obvious?

Anyway, even before this scene I was thinking, Mitsumi and Ujiie makes a much more interesting pair.

"He's still human too"
Well, duh. Am I the only one who's annoyed by his remarks? His comment about Shima never got rejected, and so he didn't deserve the role felt too personal. Like Shima said, what did Ujie know about him? At least he could apologize afterwards, but no, he just said, "He's still human too, huh."

I'm irked. 🤣
I also felt annoyed by him. He was definitely projecting but what i love about takamatsu's story telling is her ability to highlight the nuance in realistic ways we've seen in our modern lives especially during our school days. There is truth in Uijie's bias against ppl with "pretty privilege" but he's shown to be a character that while being the trope of a nerd/snobby introvert he is deeply flawed and takes on a paradigm many ppl either have been or know ppl who were/are like that. Which in takamatsu's world is a great medium to tell real stories. If they annoy you thats bc these lessons these kids are learning often catalyze from feelings of annoyance or irritation. Even the last lines while they feel self satisfying for Ujies character and is still a flawed world view it was what a realistic foot in the right direction looks like. We as the audience know that Shima has been through more than the other characters have in this series and has a fair share of trauma but while the idea of whether the trauma one receives from being a star/being talented is equal/greater than/ worse than more common trauma is acknowledged ,Takamatsu purposely crafts their story where they basically say theyre uninterested in exploring that and more interested in seeing how that blends in to every day life, via between the interaction between Ujie and Shima, where shima finds resolve in his new phase in life, being brave in finding his passion and opening himself up to vulnerability but willing to argue for himself and not passively let things go like he used. Shima became more of an active character and Ujie is learning to respect everyone instead of dismiss them due to his bad habit of self preservation

Dex-chan lover
I really don't know how to feel about that cover page, my mind just cannot comprehend :wtf:

The stuff I do understand is fantastic as usual. I have no doubt we'll see more sparring between these two boys in the near future. I'm a little sad the whole competition came and went just like that, but...author must be cooking up something compelling in the meantime.
That was my thought too! It ended already, so it must be something big in the chamber....

Aggregator gang
eh idk about that. this retard always a sore loser from the very first time we see him and he doesn't change at all.
also he's wrong about everything, first he's saying stuff out of his ass that wasn't true at all and second
it's moronic that he think people unable to act as the character if they can't relate to said character, it's called "acting" in first place. it's true for theater and it's true for movie

idk what author trying to cook but he's probably the most boring character so far
I get why you're frustrated, but I really like Ujiie for a while now.
He said the the monster who is shunned by people is in fact, played by Shima, a very popular and well received person. That makes the casting looks ironic to him.
Ujiie is not wrong if Shima didn't resonate with that monster. But Shima did, just differently than Ujiie does.
These twitter threads are good analysis of this chapter:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Dex-chan lover
I get why you're frustrated, but I really like Ujiie for a while now.
He said the the monster who is shunned by people is in fact, played by Shima, a very popular and well received person. That makes the casting looks ironic to him.
Ujiie is not wrong if Shima didn't resonate with that monster. But Shima did, just differently than Ujiie does.
These twitter threads are good analysis of this chapter:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
i'm not frustated, i just think ujiie is a dogshit boring character so far and i didn't know what the author trying to cook here introducing him when we can spent the time developing the others.

again, he's wrong about everything. he's make bold assumption that shima doesn't have struggle at all and he also wrong about casting choice
if you saw a drama angst movie about soldier who got his body blown by a grenade and now live with the PTSD and the disability. does that narrowed down the casting to ex-military with disability only ? nope, they'll still cast a Millionaire actor who never ever ever have that kind of struggle in their life.
why ? because it's acting, you are Playing a character.

also he's not saying the casting choice as "ironic, he straight saying the casting choice are a problem and shima playing the character are "arrogant" of him. it felt like you are trying so hard to defend him for whatever reason that is even if that meant you have to be disingenuous to support "your love" to ujiie lmao.

for the link you gave me most of them are long rambling that can be summed up in few sentences
"ujiie are retarded donkey, he's wrong about everything. shima and mitsumi are rightfully upset. "

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the new chapter!

I don't know why, but this chapter just made me do the chef's kiss. That was nicely concluded and both sides of the spectrum had some enlightenment even for a bit.

Dex-chan lover
zLe0I4u.jpeg

Interesting page and it throws insight to Shima´s fears and the characters depicted tell a lot about him, ill die on that hill Mukai is the underapreciated MVP because of how GOOD his reading on people is but how TERRIBLE his reading on situations are.
Ujiie is a POS, someone with no empathy and who fails but is full of himself.

Dex-chan lover
While Ujie was definitely being a dick this chapter, I definitely feel like some of y'all are forgetting that Shima basically smiled his way through every problem he had in his 1st year, like Shima didn't exactly go out of his way to start disproving some of Ujie's preconceptions to anyone up until recently.

Supporter
Oooooof
thanks for the chapter, this series was a held breath finally released. Being broke sucks, but being caught up also sucks

Dex-chan lover
Shimawank continues.

Ujiie, even if he was being a dick, was right. When you're attractive, extroverted and liked you can get away with a lot more than someone who's not as "gifted." Of course he doesn't understand Shima but it's not like Shima or most of the other characters understand him either and it's like the point of the chapter is to just reinforce Ujiie's views about how "hard work" is a privilege of the attractive. You'd think Mitsumi, of all characters, would try and actually talk to him about it but no, she just screams at him about how he's just being such a buzzkill that I'm surprised she didn't hit him with a "learn to read the room."

Yes, Shima has problems but the default starting point for him still puts him way ahead of someone like Ujiie. I'm sure people will point out "but Mitsumi..." but guess what? Despite her success we've still seen that other people look down on her, especially in regards to her closeness with Shima because she's a less attractive nerd which kind of reinforces his point because she's a good student, StuCo president and is still looked at by others as a mediocre dweeb stepping above her station. She's straight up overheard this stuff so you'd think that she, of all characters, would be sensitive to how Ujiie feels. But I guess not because he so heartlessly and cruelly insulted poor Shima-kun so it's better he just shut up and know his place.

Ujiie definitely could have been more tactful but he's right in that they asked for his opinion and he gave it and "but he's working hard" shouldn't invalidate how he feels. Yes he's judgey of popular/attractive people but it's understandable why given what we've seen of him. It will be interesting to see how he grows and I'm hoping we start getting some progress on him and Yasaka and there's obviously interesting interactions he could have with the likes of Yuzu or Mika. Hell, seeing him and Shima actually talk could have been good. But the author just seems more concerned with propping up Shima even if it means bringing down other characters to do it and the more it happens the more it drags down what's an otherwise great series with a great cast.

It's just a shame seeing them all get tossed aside because now everything has to revolve around the Sadboy.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting page and it throws insight to Shima´s fears and the characters depicted tell a lot about him, ill die on that hill Mukai is the underapreciated MVP because of how GOOD his reading on people is but how TERRIBLE his reading on situations are.
Ujiie is a POS, someone with no empathy and who fails but is full of himself.
Mukai is awful at reading people beyond maybe Shima, what are you talking about? That's sort of been the point of his interactions with Mika where he had her completely wrong. If any character has been shown to be good at reading people, it's Yasaka.

And Ujiie is "full of himself" because he has no self-esteem due to bullying he got when he was younger and feels like his smarts are all he has. He has to convince himself that he's smarter than the normals and populars and pretties because he, in his mind, doesn't have anything else going for him. So if he doesn't have that, then he's nothing. This was pretty clearly spelled out in the focus he got around the StuCo election. He knows he's being needlessly judgmental but it's the only thing keeping him going because he otherwise feels worthless, reinforced by the way others have both intentionally and unintentionally treated him. Actually in re-reading it, it makes Mitsumi's actions towards him in this chapter even worse and even more OOC because Ujiie straight up told her all of this while literally crying and explicitly telling her that he's miserable and views himself as a loser.

But anyway, I think he's one of the more interesting characters along with Yasaka and Mika.

Users who are viewing this thread