Slime Tensei. Daikenja ga Youjo Elf ni Dakishimeraretemasu - Vol. 4 Ch. 17

Being faster than the "sound of speed" is a completely new concept to me!

Dex-chan lover
zgml0xktg2131.jpg

"What colour's the sky up there?"

Double-page supporter
Tell me more about this "Railgun" spell of yours, sir mage. It's name seems quite peculiar and I wonder how you thought of it. 🤨

Double-page supporter
so, not only he drank the daughters water bath, now he drink a potion mixed with blood of his daughter.

what a madlad. 🤣

Alright, so apparently nicola is a dwarf? I don't believe it. She's a young woman, and she still doesn't even remotely look like a dwarf, even if she was half elf, she would still retain some sort of dwarf physical characteristics, so i refuse to believe that she is a dwarf, unless there is some mad blood diffusion going on here and her father wasn't purely a dwarf, so she inherited the non-dwarf characteristics from both her parents.

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt Different settings, different yada yada. People get hung up on this stuff all the time, but I'm not sure why. It's not like everyone has to follow some strict guideline for using fantasy races, they can make their own variations as they please. A Japanese depiction of female dwarves in a cutesy series like this? Basically just a stock human loli, maybe a minor ear difference. This is not the only example I've seen. If I wasn't bad at recalling names offhand I could throw about 3-5 series out here right now with dwarves like her in them. It's Japan doing Japan things.

@Glomoro No, I get that, but (seemingly) in-universe, dwarves seem to have a very stereotypical appearance (from the one mature dwarf i think we've seen), and while yes, i failed to think about how dwarven girls are portrayed, and that people who stick with some stereotypes do not have to use all of them, usually people who go with a very stereotypical image of a dwarf tend to use all of them, as it saves lots of time in creating a unique identity, but yes, I can understand that a manga like this featuring lots of fantasy race lolis probably wouldn't just have a straight up dwarf among them, thank you for making me realize that. i just haven't been exposed to that many of this type of manga or something i guess.

Dex-chan lover
@TimeVolt The sexual dimorphism in stuff like this can get pretty ridiculous, for sure. It kind of reminds me of that "men are from Mars, women are from Venus" thing, because a lot of character designs in comics, animation, and video games end up looking like they might as well just be two different species. I suppose it's to be expected though, when your bottom line can depend on whether or not people think your girls are cute.

You can probably see some examples of the kind of shit artists might catch from people by looking around in the comment sections for a series like Overlord. There's that one high rank adventurer lady that looks like a somewhat feminine He-Man, and that lizardman race that went for the actual lizard people look rather than "we're attractive humans with some extra parts." Thankfully there are probably also some comments appreciating those characters, but the complaints about those designs not being attractive enough probably echo what the editors might say when trying to make sure the finished product actually sells.

Users who are viewing this thread