Solo Leveling - Vol. 1 Ch. 42

Spoilers regarding the mc's new class (taken from r/sololeveling) :

After clearing the dungeon, the system offers him a class change, to Necromancer. At first he's horrified, because he's a fighter, and believes he should be either a warrior or an assassin. In fact, he hasn't put a single extra status point into Intelligence. So he turns down the upgrade, only to be warned by the system that he's about to turn down a hidden class. Realising how foolish that would be, he accepts the upgrade, only to find out he's earned enough experience to qualify for a double upgrade. The advanced Necromancer class is called the Shadow Lord (or Shadow Monarch) and instead of raising the dead to fight for him, he rips the shades from them as servants. He can raise 30 1st level monsters, or he can sacrifice 20 of them for the possibility of raising a boss to serve him. Deciding to go for the red knight, he takes a chance, and finds out he only has three attempts to enslave a monster's shade. On the third attempt he succeeds, and the blood-red commander, Igris, joins him.

i dont thinks the penalty time is gonna be added.. remember when he was first transported to the penalty area? the time in the real world didnt move and stayed at 5 PM even after spending 4hrs running away inside the penalty area... but if the time was actually added then its a huge mistake by the author if it happens.. but its still a huge advantage to the player being transported here and having access to the shop since he is now well aware of the difficulty of the dungeon so he can buy everything that he will need in the shop, upgrade hes equipments , eat some stat increasing foods etc...

Dex-chan lover
@firosahoge
it is plot armor.
When a parrot repeats a phrase it has no understanding of, it has the excuse that as a bird (even an intelligent one) it is not capable of truly understanding the meaning of the human speech that it is mimicking.

So might I ask what's your excuse?

d

@Amplify

When a parrot repeats a phrase it has no understanding of, it has the excuse that as a bird (even an intelligent one) it is not capable of truly understanding the meaning of the human speech that it is mimicking.

So might I ask what's your excuse?

woooooooooooa~ what a disappointment. kinda like how he sees his oldself then all i get to read is his long monologue.

Dex-chan lover
@firosahoge
No, it's perfectly reasonable to think the dungeon wouldn't take so long. The ones so far typically haven't. Your standards are mighty high if that's as dumb as you can imagine. He's the same guy who conned the other guild's recruiter out of a considerable sum of money just before, so he most certainly has some wits. The daily training is surely a chore for him by now, so it's quite human to postpone it, nothing strange about it. It has been his basic personality to look death in the eye time after time, not skirting risks, so to be consistent that should be evident in his life through and through, not only when it's convenient.

Dex-chan lover
@d
Hey Polly, want this?

640px-Saltine-Crackers.JPG

Dex-chan lover
What is in for him in changing himself?? He can stay the same surviving and then using that luck to save others too probably or get stronger in a short time to get to that possibility...

Aggregator gang
abusing the system glitch.. from a high level dungeon with restriction.. to the penalty lair of centipede... and that some fucking luck that just an MC of some story have

So, moving to the Penalty Zone for 5hours probably means that the 5hours count towards the Job change quest as well, right? making it so he gets a better job?

Dex-chan lover
We don't know how far the system bends the rules. For the penalty zone, are there given clock times or is there a timer? If there is, the system can only bend the rules by breaking them. If the system decides, when's the right time, on a whim, it may bend the hell out of it, to preserve the "Character"'s life. I say he got lucky. -> the author used plot armor as a plot device -> it was an asspull, that have been hinted to come. But I'm cool with that, because:

The story so far has been a very good read. Very enjoyable.

That asspull is very tolerable.

The only thing I'm not cool with, is the new personality of the character. He is seeking his death. He got all those possibilities and still throws them away, because now he hungers for more. And the reason is his "loser" complex.

I'm not sure about what direction the author wants that manga to head. 1. Is his former e-rank self an ideal the current character should make peace with and accept as a part of himself to become a better character? 2. Or is his older self just an loser and obstacle to overcome, so he conquers his own fears? I like the first one as the second one would mean, that taking unnecessary risks and being an edgy asshole is the only right way to man up. That seems childish.
His new self survived because of luck (e.g. penalty zone, right equipment drops, right choice of stats) and because of the cleverness left by his former self. Luck is not a skill and can't be relied on. I'm so alerted, because of the s-rang younger brother asshole. The author made sure to let us know, that the MC has to grow very fast or face certain death, hinting the asshole route being the only right one.

Time clearly runs the same no matter which zone you are.
Time outside = dungeon time = penalty zone time
So yes, time on penalty zone will count towards job change.

And I fully agree with @Quelix, the story has been very good and enjoyable.
I can also forgive him being dumb/reckless considering he's got the S-Rank assbro after him.

This manga is so badass... to atmosphere is spot-on imo. Most of the chapters have been great aside from the very slow start... so yeah, I'm looking forward to next chapter. ?

ppl saying this is a "asspull" or kinda deus ex machina plot twist.. I guess it was, I mean it went really down to the wire lol, the sword was about to hit his below 100 hp ass.

Makes me wonder what the system message "survive as long as you can" means though, I mean the way its phrased makes it seem like once you "die" the subquest is over and you will be given points for how long you managed to survive, that is to say that you dont really die for good but just fail to get the best possible score... kinda game'y rule but he is basically game character.
The quest doesnt specify that there is any timer for it, like you have to survive for so and so long, it just says survive... but how do you win then? if it just goes on forever?.. lol dunno... (I may be completely wrong about everything I said there but we will find out)

The only thing I'm not cool with, is the new personality of the character. He is seeking his death. He got all those possibilities and still throws them away, because now he hungers for more. And the reason is his "loser" complex.
Dunno if he is really seeking death lol... he is just having difficulties grasping his situation. He is basically on totally uncharted territory and end up in really tough situations because as far as I understand he is like one of the only, if not the only hunter who has ability to rise his rank.

Aggregator gang
So many whining people in this thread holy shit, all of you find many and far more bullshit moments in other manga/manhwa (and continue reading them anyway) and THIS is what enrages you into a possibility of dropping this series?

The penalty zone relocation and the time that will probably be added to his job quest is at most awfully convenient, but it's too much to call it bullshit or asspull, this isn't a fucking game where shit like this is patched out for fairness or balance because the real world has none of either. The stupid part is him not doing the daily quest for insurance (healing), but it can be excused as a lapse in memory since he does them every day and so much shit happened that day that he forgot about it, the guy is still human.

He never expected the job quest to be this hard, it's not at all unexpected for it to last long enough for the timer on the daily quest to run out. It's almost arbitrary whether it runs out in the middle of him fighting the knights or when he's about to get killed, the only difference is the intensity of the scene. As for that hallucination of his younger self, it's more likely that the thing behind the system is just fucking with him.

Dex-chan lover
@bladestorm91
So many whining people in this thread holy shit, all of you find many and far more bullshit moments in other manga/manhwa (and continue reading them anyway) and THIS is what enrages you into a possibility of dropping this series?
When a "I'm 14 and this is deep" type of person starts reading manga / LN / whatever, they find fault with everything they can and usually start throwing around terms like plot hole or or plot armor that they've heard other people talk about but don't fully understand themselves.

It's annoying, but not much you can really do about them.

Fed-Kun's army
I'd also like to call it a deus ex machina moment, but on the other hand the author did a perfect Chekhov's gun moment.

How many points is that in TV Tropes bingo points?

Users who are viewing this thread