Solo Leveling

@JustNatsuki what about MLK's dream? Malcolm X? Nelson Mandela? Wong Fei Hung? Tesla? Virtually anyone who has advanced human civilization?

Are you saying that all dreams and aspirations are bad? Or are you just trying to get a cheap shot in on the Internet by brining up Hitler's name? "I don't like what you are saying, therefore Nazi."

Textbook false equivalence. You also assume the premise of Holo's pipe dream is wrong which hasn't been proven yet.

I'd much rather you explain why you think going legit is a bad thing (unless there is nothing new to add to JB et. al's arguments).

Group Leader
@phatj
Are you saying that all dreams and aspirations are bad?
No, I'm saying that just because it's crazy doesn't mean you can't criticize people for having such a dream (and choose to act on it) or dismiss the crazy idea as "never going to happen" as many Holo Apologists have done so. This was heavily hinted in the excerpt "you don't need to worry about it" since MLK's dream is a positive thing. Nobody says "don't worry about ___" when it's a good thing, people say that when it's a bad thing.

That's really obvious. I don't know how you implied 50,000 other things from it. "I don't understand what you're saying, therefore here's 15 examples that aren't even related to what you're talking about."

Textbook false equivalence.
Textbook laziness. You can't even read a single forum thread to save your argument.

You also assume the premise of Holo's pipe dream is wrong which hasn't been proven yet.
No, I don't. "I don't understand what you're saying, therefore I'm going to say you're saying a bunch of things you're clearly not saying to make myself look good."

I'd much rather you explain why you think going legit is a bad thing (unless there is nothing new to add to JB et. al's arguments).
I never said I think going legit is a bad thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The level of reading comprehension required for my comment is like 1st grade level. I'm baffled anyone could've taken it differently, and that I even need to explain this.

Kids, remember, do some research before you talk shit. Or else you look like a fool.

@JustNatsuki

Yeah sure, compare a simple dream to literally genocide. What an idiot. You can bark at MD all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong, JB apologist.

@Borland666 the problem with making any money from Scanlation is they don't own the rights to the manga's (art) only their own Translation (falls under fair use) and if/when the scanlation groups try to profit off the work the big japanese publishers tend to C&D the group and sometimes come out with their own "Official" MTL translations, this can be seen with Meraki Scans's patreon when the japanese publishers took offense when they saw how much Meraki scans was receiving a month for translating their works.

TL;DR receiving funds for website hosting or merchandise is the only clean way of making money for scanlators or Aggregators like MD, if they are doing anymore than it becomes a grey area which gets darker and darker.

This is the first korean manga I've loved to be honest, but seeing that it's only 1,2,75 here, it's a bit sad, I guess I'll stick to other sites I used to go to.

@Nekoya-Sensei
Like I've said before, a quick look on their Patreon is all it takes, especially due to the fact that they blatantly lie about their expenses, specifically saying that it costs them $55 per trip to the store to pick up a copy of Jump (which they admit is dirt cheap) and that about $45 of that money goes towards "travel expenses". You'd have to be a complete idiot to believe that running to and from a store actually costs that much.
I personally think it's a good thing they pulled their chapters. Pretty much all of the Japanese series they translate like We Never Learn, Promised Neverland, and My Hero Academy are already getting official English translations and those are what people should actually read since they're what actually gets the mangakas paid and help support the manga industry. JB's bootleg translations on the other hand don't since they're just pocketing most, if not all the money they're making off ad revenue and donations.

Huh, just found that that chapters were deleted, luckily I started reading Solo Leveling 2 weeks ago so I was able to read everything on this site. Seems like a dumb conflict, what other site names translators and would respect their wish to delete a ton of chapters? The best I saw on other sites was a last page with translator info, never anything about patreon or donations...kiss and whatever are still gonna take your shit so I'd say it's in your best interest to stay on a site where people can see YOU and your work.

Fed-Kun's army
@Jacough so you have access to their finances? If you care so much about the mangaka getting paid then why are you on here reading illegal translations?

@Nekoya-Sensei
Did you even bother reading my post? Yes I can in fact see some of their finances because it's right there on their Patreon. It shows how many backers they have and how much they're making a month, which right now is $211. As for how I know they're lying about where the money used to get the raws is actually going, that's just common sense.
$55 per week just to get the Weekly Shounen Jump magazine (Black Clover, One Piece, Dr. Stone, We can't Study, Robot x Laserbeam and Boku no Hero Academia are published in this magazine.) It's basically a $45(ish) trip to get to the store + some extra for the person going to buy the magazine and then scanning it. (most of the cost is transportation cost to go buy it and back, though the magazine itself is pretty cheap itself).
$45ish trip to a store? Only a God damn idiot would believe that.
If you care so much about the mangaka getting paid then why are you on here reading illegal translations?
Because there's a lot of good series out there that unfortunately have not and and maybe never will get official English translations. Those are the series I use Mangadex for. When a series does get official translations though, I buy the series. If I ever get the time to learn Japanese you can bet your ass I'm gonna switch to buying the original Japanese copies.

I want to thank you random citizen for this treat (thought gotta say novel still beats manhwa anyday)

@Jacough I see you are likeminded soul.
Finally got a stable income and started with buying manga and LNs that I already read (and reread, and reread) and that are on my favorites list. Surprise, surprise, 4/10 that I checked have official English translation that I can buy, 6 do not. Iris Zero has German translation but I know German as well as French or Japanese, i.e. close to nothing so why'd I buy it. ib - Instant Bullet as well as Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso o Kasaneru are off the English limits as well. Found Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai which got both manga and LN as well as Silent Voice.
I'm going to buy every manga I read so far if I even remotely enjoyed reading it but if I was to wait for official, buyable English translation, I'd never read a half of what I did. It's some 350ish so far and while it may take a while to find them all, I fucking will. One day. Digital editions don't count, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread