Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - Ch. 103

Dex-chan lover
I read through both chapters side by side to see what the hype between translations is all about... I was underwhelmed.

The difference is incredibly minute. A slightly larger font and a couple contractions? I'm less baffled by the two different groups doing translations and much more so by the readers insisting one is superior to the other when they're 99% the same.

It's like red wine snobs insisting their favorite blend has the 'earthiest tannins'. give me a break

Dex-chan lover
I read through both chapters side by side to see what the hype between translations is all about... I was underwhelmed.

The difference is incredibly minute. A slightly larger font and a couple contractions? I'm less baffled by the two different groups doing translations and much more so by the readers insisting one is superior to the other when they're 99% the same.

It's like red wine snobs insisting their favorite blend has the 'earthiest tannins'. give me a break
"Based on a sample size of a single chapter, I'm ready to condemn anyone who has a preference for one or the other."

• Dumb
Reactions: Tlo
Aggregator gang
Not sure if that's the type of grammar Gojo typically uses to speak to everyone, so can't tell you if it's more meaningful or not in the context of the current plot.
Gojo uses polite speech with almost everyone. The exceptions that I remember are his family and the boys from his class. He even used polite speech with Shinju (Juju's middle-school sister). Add his feminine-ish name (Wakana) and it's not surprising that he's been taken for a girl on the Internet a few times.

In particular, he uses polite speech with "Kitagawa-san", so that invitation was very much in-character.

(That also means that translating it with a "wanna" doesn't sound like a great choice, but then again I'm not paying enough attention...)

Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if he used informal speech with Non-chan in the next chapter just to add a bit more spice.

Dex-chan lover
Time for childhood drama...
:nyoron:

I would like to remind people again that you can always block any TL teams.
No one cares and asks for your opinion about any TL team.

Double-page supporter
Guys, be more mindful of these types of dialogues, it is important that the flow makes sensetoo. I dont know if Gojo’s way of speaking in JP is like that all the time, but it also felt a bit of reluctance in his request, like “I’ll just ask for the sake of asking” or he wanted to ask to find out something for himself by meeting with her, like having ulterior motives.
meh, the "punched up" dialogue they love so much is a big enough of a turn off for me bro
always hate seeing gyaru talk like American zoomers and it's been infesting even "regular" high school characters in TLs in recent years as well I've noticed, very irresponsible IMO

Dex-chan lover
diS2CN2.jpeg

just give it up already and use your resources for a different series... potteto translations are a lot better, what's the point of having more than one anyway?
I always wait for Tonikaku’s releases. Until they decide to stop, I’ll remain loyal to them. Another week of waiting here and there is totally fine.

Supporter

I really dont care for any of the groups, as long as they do a proper job at it, I actually read both translations since I like the manga a lot and the job they’ve been doing. The problem is that the intention behind the dialogue is properly conveyed when translated, and when both groups provide two extremely different translations to a single dialogue, something is not right.

And no, its not a minute difference in the case of Gojo’s invitation to Marin, if you really believe what you wrote then you need to read this Haniel arc again, since it seems to me that your reading comprehension is lacking.

One TL group made it look like a friendly invitation, the other TL sounds like it was “just for the heck of it”request, and in the current relationship situation between Gojo and Marin THAT is a very big difference.

Gojo uses polite speech with almost everyone. The exceptions that I remember are his family and the boys from his class. He even used polite speech with Shinju (Juju's middle-school sister). Add his feminine-ish name (Wakana) and it's not surprising that he's been taken for a girl on the Internet a few times.

In particular, he uses polite speech with "Kitagawa-san", so that invitation was very much in-character.

(That also means that translating it with a "wanna" doesn't sound like a great choice, but then again I'm not paying enough attention...)

Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if he used informal speech with Non-chan in the next chapter just to add a bit more spice.
This is important! Since Gojo seems to speak that way most of the time, then it gives more importance to try to stay loyal to the nuances even if overstyled. In this case of the invitation, both TLs fail.

Double-page supporter
can someone please explain what is going on with gojo and marin? I don't remember or care to look back to see why they're so tense

Dex-chan lover
So now we see Non-chan, the person who scarred Wakana emotionally when he was younger and talking about Hina dolls, after she comes back into his life. But let's see how this develops. Ideally, Marin will stake her claim for her man and let no one else get close.
I'm betting on her being convinced to cosplay by Marin. Gojou is kept out of the loop because Marin doesn't want to impose on him. Cue 14 month (real world time, obvs) of them finding and building costumes and showing them off in some event which will, of course, go viral so more rando creeps can yell "PRINCEEEESS" or some such shit :angery:

Seriously though, the two girls will do some cosplay stuff, you can bet on it

Dex-chan lover

Even if it was a big difference, who the fuck cares. Some people do it because they love a series and don't really know what they are doing, and that's ok.

I've seen morons around here bullying scanlators in the comments because they are not up to their standards and other more skilled scanlator is already doing the series, parroting "sniping, sniping!" like they were the publisher who has the copyright. It's pathetic, just block the scanlator and you wont get a notification if that bothers you so much.

Dex-chan lover
Childhood friend and source of trauma appears Oh boy, here I go complicatin' again.

Good shout on the impact of Gojou's declaration on Marin. Of course she'd shrivel up in the face of a strong vision of the future. They're 15, for frig's sake. She's just having fun (even if they are a little awkward), wants to talk about the cosplay offer and then he drops something profound. Obviously he's got it all planned and wouldn't be interested in being her costumer.

Equally painful is that they're both plastering on a smile like the dolls. TALK

Just to stick the knife in, this could be when Non-chan reveals she is a fan of anime and cosplay. I don't think Gojou's ever explained why he shut himself off to Marin before.

Why am I inventing scenarios? Masochism?

Users who are viewing this thread