Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - Ch. 103

Dex-chan lover
Don't be surprise we will see both cosplay for Gojo wetdream

kitagawa.png
I'd honestly be very, very happy if no cosplay happens in this series ever again.

Double-page supporter
Certainly this won't be baiting some drama forever and then brushing it away like that entire year of Akira chapters right?

Fed-Kun's army
So now we see Non-chan, the person who scarred Wakana emotionally when he was younger and talking about Hina dolls, after she comes back into his life. But let's see how this develops. Ideally, Marin will stake her claim for her man and let no one else get close.

Group Leader
just give it up already and use your resources for a different series... potteto translations are a lot better, what's the point of having more than one anyway?
Translation is an art. There's always space for everybody. There's often more than one translation for literature, so why can't there be for manga? Always more than one way to move an idea across languages. The choices you make early on also influence your future ones.

Dex-chan lover
just give it up already and use your resources for a different series... potteto translations are a lot better, what's the point of having more than one anyway?
You are always free to not read them, but who are you to tell others what they should or should not do?

What's the point? There could be interpretations that the other translation team missed, for instance. Quality may be better (or worse! Entirely possible!). They are competing, but that does not mean they have to be adversaries, you know.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly it's weird cause a lot of the tl feels weird in english. "You don't have to come if you don't want to" and followed by ok and coming is weird instead of the potteto one where gojo asked if she wants to come

Supporter
Potteto TL= wanna come with me
Tonikaku TL=you dont have to come if you dont want to

These two translations are so different between each other, in the first one it makes sense Marin went, in the second one, htf did she go when given that attitude? “FU and your dolls”, I would’ve stayed home.

Went and checked the RAW, Gojo says :”よければ行きませんか”

A literal translation would be: “if it’s fine with you, why dont we go?”,

Potteto half ✅
Tonikaku ❌

Q.E.D.

Guys, be more mindful of these types of dialogues, it is important that the flow makes sensetoo. I dont know if Gojo’s way of speaking in JP is like that all the time, but it also felt a bit of reluctance in his request, like “I’ll just ask for the sake of asking” or he wanted to ask to find out something for himself by meeting with her, like having ulterior motives.

Dex-chan lover
Ahhhh, so that's what may be going on.
Yeah, putting so many years of your life into developing a craft, and then you are suddenly more known and gor more people talking about a different one you just picked up as hobby...
I have experienced that one, it doesn't feel great XD.
And if he wants to get good and successful on his main one before his grandpa dies... That must have hit like a truck.
That's the thing that always comes to my mind when people suggest that the happy ending for this series could be Marin becoming a super famous pro cosplayer and Gojou being hired to make her costumes. Not that it would be a terrible thing for him...but his true dream is to make hina dolls and I'm not sure how happy he would be putting it aside to stay with Marin.

Power Uploader
This is a W translation if you'd care to compare. Anyway, they're both technically unneeded because it's licensed officially, neither group can claim it so they can spend their time how they like.

Supporter

These two translations are so different between each other, in the first one it makes sense Marin went, in the second one, htf did she go when given that attitude? “FU and your dolls”, I would’ve stayed home.

Potteto half ✅
Tonikaku ❌

Q.E.D.

Guys, be more mindful of these types of dialogues, it is important that the flow makes sensetoo. I dont know if Gojo’s way of speaking in JP is like that all the time, but it also felt a bit of reluctance in his request, like “I’ll just ask for the sake of asking” or he wanted to ask to find out something for himself by meeting with her, like having ulterior motives.
Thank you for the explanation. I like to read both of them at once and compare the two translations. In this instance, comparing the two I got the feeling that he asked her more reluctantly than potteto translated, and I'm happy to see that my feeling was right.

Momocchi translations are 10 times better in my humble opinion. Tried to read a couple of chapters from potteto and their are just THAT. potatoes. bland, tasteless. when compared to Momocchi!~

Dex-chan lover

Potteto half ✅
Tonikaku ❌

Q.E.D.

Thanks for providing the raw Japanese. It's not exactly a literal translation - it's actually one of the more grammatically formal and polite way to ask someone to go somewhere in Japanese. (you always phrase a question in the negative form) The translation is more like: "if it's alright with you, would you like to go?"

The grammatical choice is also not just formal, but also subtly conveys "distance" between people - as it's phrased like you would when speaking to a stranger, or between work colleagues who aren't familiar with each other - close to, but short of a customer service rep speaking to a customer, in terms of formality. Not sure if that's the type of grammar Gojo typically uses to speak to everyone, so can't tell you if it's more meaningful or not in the context of the current plot.

Dex-chan lover
Translation is an art. There's always space for everybody. There's often more than one translation for literature, so why can't there be for manga? Always more than one way to move an idea across languages. The choices you make early on also influence your future ones.
While i agree with this, but it seems the Manga Fan-Translation community doesn't always see it like this.

I mean, the whole community goes up in arms when someone starts translating a series done by another group, accusing them of "Sniping".

Not to forget all those untranslated series or with poor quality translations, which needed to be covered.

In situation like these, seeing a single series being translated by two groups seems odd.

Supporter
Thanks for providing the raw Japanese. It's not exactly a literal translation - it's actually one of the more grammatically formal and polite way to ask someone to go somewhere in Japanese. (you always phrase a question in the negative form) The translation is more like: "if it's alright with you, would you like to go?"

The grammatical choice is also not just formal, but also subtly conveys "distance" between people - as it's phrased like you would when speaking to a stranger, or between work colleagues who aren't familiar with each other - close to, but short of a customer service rep speaking to a customer, in terms of formality. Not sure if that's the type of grammar Gojo typically uses to speak to everyone, so can't tell you if it's more meaningful or not in the context of the current plot.
That is the exact word and meaning, there was “distance” in his request. Thank you for being clearer about it.

I wanted to check if Gojo speaks that way in previous chapters but I have manga to work on lol.

Users who are viewing this thread