Sono Ossan, Isekai de Nishuume Play wo Mankitsuchuu - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
In other words: "the jp did too". I have seen tln's about the jp using katakana like that for foreign speak, but think this might be the first time I see them decide to mix latin in with the jp (and possibly english, too, if "dora[gon]" isn't jp by now?)
Call me drunk, but wasn't the word "corona" already a borrowed word in english? Like it's already listed under their dictionary? I mean, I've seen them use it on stars and stuff. I'm guessing other languages refer to it as corona too. I'm not American though and I don't study stars, so I have no idea.

Dex-chan lover
Call me drunk, but wasn't the word "corona" already a borrowed word in english? Like it's already listed under their dictionary? I mean, I've seen them use it on stars and stuff. I'm guessing other languages refer to it as corona too. I'm not American though and I don't study stars, so I have no idea.
yes, it is.. It's latin, meaning "crown", it's also used as a fancy word for "halo" or "ring", depending on the subject.

Dex-chan lover
It's latin (for crown, which is why I translated latin 'rona to english 'rown). Like many latin words, english uses it in specific contexts, usually technical language/jargon or other sciency stuff.
Most flora and fauna has latin names, many stars does too (though greek might be more common there? I doubt it though), and so on.

Specifically about "corona" and stars, all(?) stars have a layer of their "atmosphere" called their corona, which comes from it essentially being the halo that crowns them (which is why, as grikath said, halo's are often called coronas). As a result of stars having coronas, it is also not uncommon for stars to include that in their name (presumably. Or someone randomly named it after "crown" for other reasons).
All this is why "novelcorona virus" was named as such: ppl thought it's shape was reminiscent to a crown, and then when that strain evolved they simply appended the latin word for "new" to that. Because science ppl loves latin names (although sometimes I suspect/feel like it's secretly pig-latin and noone simply calls anyone out on it).

Dex-chan lover
Flame dragon like its element is fire, or that it can breathe fire; but a "Corona" is like a halo or aura (usually of fire), so... it's really not repeating anything.

Screw these adventurers casually murdering people, though! WTAF?!

Also, two HP bars...?
Yeah, time to start singing in latin; like, Gregorian chant with drums, maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread