Sony's buying Crunchyroll. That's Crazy.

Dex-chan lover
So the company that is known for censoring anime, and even putting leftist ideals into subs where they don't belong, is going to be bought by Sony. The company that moved it's HQ to California, then had all their Japanese games censored (even if it didn't leave Japan)

yeah.. okay.

Dex-chan lover
Update: It's now official. Sony owns Crunchyroll.

I cursed that horrid streaming service every time they got a series I liked because I knew the odds of it coming to Blu-ray were basically zero. Hopefully, now it may be different, and some of their backlog will get released as well. And, yes, I do acknowledge Funimation's criticisms, however to me, my feelings on them are a bit complicated. on one hand, the company sounds terrible, but on the other hand, Crunchyroll's stuff is rotting on the cloud. To stay there forever, until they lose the license in who knows how many years.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/10/att-sells-crunchyroll-to-sony/

Contributor
I'm conflicted, because I hate monopolies- they stifle creativity, freedom, and competition*- but on the other hand, hate Crunchyroll. Other issues aside, I have had SO much trouble with their site over the years. Technical issues involving constant refresh, slow streaming, and bad support. Hopefully they'll fix that.

*I don't want all the localization eggs in one basket, so to speak- not the way censorship is going. They've been, shall we say, overzealous lately.

Double-page supporter
Well, their HTML5 reader is much easier to rip at least. RIP flash, all hail JSON! 😎

sony buys it for the licensing aspect tons of mobile game and console tying movies and tv series to come full of mist clouds and tons of fan service all pushing Sony... in the US official releases will be DLC only i bet and elsewhere so Stream service tie in to sonyplus or what ever... either way wont directly affect me but will affect the timing and release of content Thur the high sea's

Dex-chan lover
Way back when Japanese companies had cash to spend, they thought it was a good idea to buy real estate in NYC. The problem was they were using Tokyo standards for basis. Which at the time was 2.5X higher than NYC. Toll ahead a decade or two, they lost their shirts. Not saying Sony is going to lose out. CC is a streaming company they own no media. Sony wants content for their entertainment division. Since Covid has destroyed Hollywood, streaming is the only way out.

Dex-chan lover
@yukiwa You cant use "on the other hand" or "conflicted" because you hate "monopolies" when Crunchyroll itself is a monopoly. Your sentence is acting as if it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread