Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 124 - The Shadow Warrior

Dex-chan lover
I think it has something to do with her involvement in the formation of mage corps and overall magic progress in the empire long time ago.

Dex-chan lover
Two women riding Stark at the same time and he is complaining, smh my boy.

Double-page supporter
strange gamble, to have your leage of shadow assasins just randomly sit in various villages, instead of activly seeking out your target.
Lets be real, none would really suspect your reliable neighbour/bestfried that's been there in the town for god knows how long is secretly an assassin that killed the adventurer secretly

I wonder if he is really prepared, e.g by having a magic cancelling cristal with him.
Otherwise he probably has zero chance to succeed, assuming he knows who his target is.
But having such cristal would probably be detected by either Frieren or Fern because it negates all magic, so they should be able to sense it's effect.

Regarding the empire, there are quite a lot of broken things since our group arrives in the region. So I would suspect some kind of corruption and greed somewhere.
Possibly wrong doing humans are a different take on this story. I assume Fern and Stark will hesitate to go for the kill even if they have the means. Frieren knows how to defend herself, but we never saw her attacking non-mage humans as far as I remember.

Dex-chan lover
This dude took down demons and trained with a legendary hero but this old man beat him in 2 seconds. A TANK getting knocked out by a kick to the stomach. Plot device jobbing my favorite.

Dex-chan lover
Its not so much that he got a fist to the chest but the way he got no diff'ed. Dude was right infront of him with some distance with an obvious intend but still somehow managed to teleport to him and put a knive to his most vital body part.

His life was spared so its more about the humilliation. He is alive because old fart allowed it. You can't "get up" from a sliced neck.
I mean you can't get up from being hit with several arrows coated with dragon-killing poison either, but Eisen didn't even go down, your logic does not hold in a highly magical world

Dex-chan lover
Maybe this has something to with the statues being interpreted differently then the people actually were?

Dex-chan lover
I mean you can't get up from being hit with several arrows coated with dragon-killing poison either, but Eisen didn't even go down, your logic does not hold in a highly magical world
Toxication and mutilation are two different things though. You can't resist an open cut artery lol. Regardless, this is just a classic Worf Effect in action. He is being used to hype up the old fart. Apart from being the comic relief and jobbing to villains every once in a while, he doesn't get much development in the story anyway. Would be better just to write him off and start over with someone actually useful for characterization at this point.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Stark has fought countless time against humanoid combatant while training with multiple masters on the road and all his childhood(remember he's coming from a warrior village) and then with his dwarf master, he is actually thr most fit in all his team to fight non mage combattant.
Apperantly not. Someone needs to jab to hype up the enemy. Who is better than the comic relief / non-important character?

Dex-chan lover
Toxication and mutilation are two different things though. You can't resist an open cut artery lol. Regardless, this is just a classic Worf Effect in action. He is being used to hype up the old fart. Apart from being the comic relief and jobbing to villains every once in a while, he doesn't get much development in the story anyway. Would be better just to write him off and start over with someone actually useful for characterization at this point.
There are a lot of things you can't resist, like getting hit in the ribs with a battleax, except no you most definitely can in this setting

Dex-chan lover
I guess when you live for centuries you wind up on all sorts of lists for all sorts of reasons. If Frieren lived to the present, she'd be the only person still receiving a Montgomery-Ward Catalog, on the Columbia House Record Club, and the "No-Fly" list.

This. I wonder how old that list is, and for how long Frieren has been on it. We already saw her getting into trouble because a thousand years ago she told her master's master she liked to use magic to grow flowerbeds.
Maybe she was friends of the local lord 300 years ago and he gave instructions to bring her immediately to his manor if she was ever to pass there. Several transcriptions later, she was erroneously put on a wanted list, and since they never managed to get her, she rised to be a top priority target...

Personally, I'm looking forward (hoping) to seeing a foolish old man get absolutely Rocked.

Double-page supporter
Aufgabe means task or quest.
It's not the only meaning. You can use "aufgeben" in the nominative, though I admit it's not a common use case, and on second thought, probably not the intended one here.
Would be a funny name for a mountain though.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Lets be real, none would really suspect your reliable neighbour/bestfried that's been there in the town for god knows how long is secretly an assassin that killed the adventurer secretly
yeah, nobody would suspect a thing, especially since said assasin can just die before Frieren decide to show up next time. Or at all.

Users who are viewing this thread