Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 125 - Family

Dex-chan lover
Can't abandon the post without orders, even to confirm if said orders are still in affect. What would happen if a bunch of people on the list randomly showed up at the same time and they were short the man-power to take them all out at the same time? They would have failed their mission as the remaining targets would have escaped.

They also would fail their "mission" by dying of old age if the bingo book isn't empty by then. Or maybe some tough mofo from the book could have killed them all. After that nobody would have stopped anyone, but the HQ would remain blissfully ignorant since they were forgotten anyway and nobody kept checking on them. Surely their HQ didn't expect them to be immortal. There's logic in following orders, but there's also logic in the orders being logical.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, I'd actually love something like this to be its own manga. Four assassins, a man, a woman and two kids are tasked with pretending to go undercover as a regular civilian family, and it would be fun slice of life comedy kinda like SpyXFamily

Dex-chan lover
Frieren was likely the last living person on the watchlist who'd ever pass by the area and by the time they come here again he'd likely have died of old age or be too old to do anything even if he changed his mind.
"Serial killers should be let go without punishment because their victims are already dead" wasn't on my bingo card today.

Dex-chan lover
They also would fail their "mission" by dying of old age if the bingo book isn't empty by then. Or maybe some tough mofo from the book could have killed them all. After that nobody would have stopped anyone, but the HQ would remain blissfully ignorant since they were forgotten anyway and nobody kept checking on them. Surely their HQ didn't expect them to be immortal. There's logic in following orders, but there's also logic in the orders being logical.
World War 2 ended in 1945. Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese Army Intelligence officer, was ordered not to surrender or take his own life under any circumstances. He continued to fight, guerilla-style in the jungles of the Philippines until 1974, and did not surrender until they flew out his former direct commanding officer (who had, by then, become a bookseller) to issue him new orders to surrender. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

Other holdouts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_holdout

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Jesus, the fact that this OLD DUDE bodied Frieren before she and Fern could react is hella scary.
It reminded me of Himmel with his high speed, which means that the upper limit of what the Warrior class can do, at least in speed, is certainly high. This highlights why vanguards are so important for mages.

Who knows what kind of monster human warriors are out there.
Humans have extremely high ceilings in this universe. I remember laughing my ass off in the anime when fern was flying over the water and the old dwarf warrior was keeping up by running on water. Which is a hilarious thought that being physically powerful enough to run on water is a reachable goal and really puts it in perspective that there really is still a point in having a van guard in this world.

Double-page supporter
I can't help but feel the assassin is a sad sack. An entire lifetime spent carrying out an order he didn't understand, he didn't question, he didn't reject? Throughout 60+ years, he never became curious enough to seek out answers or do what any fully grown adult should be able to - make some pragmatic decisions?

Eggggh. What a horrible way to live. I mean, we are probably meant to interpret him as someone who just isn't honest with his feelings, rather then someone who didn't manage to escape his upbringing for 60 years, but still.

Nah, I just can't view this as something wholesome. While he played house, he still killed people without a care in the world. What a psycho.

Double-page supporter
Thou shalt not waste time explaining powers to your opponent, if you seek to kill somebody.

Dex-chan lover
HR would like to ask if there's a difference between these two pictures?
Me: THEY'RE THE SAME IMAGE LMAO
I think there is a bit of a difference between killing for an authority/government compared to your own reasons. If you're killing for a government it feels more like a tangible higher purpose rather than your own delusion. Not that you shouldn't still think about what you're really doing but still, there is a difference

Dex-chan lover
That wasn't what I expected. The last chapter was so exciting that this one was kind of a let down. But I bet this'll tie into some future plots.

Dex-chan lover
Fern being able to see the instability in Serie's mana right in front of her and her being able to detect someone's mana completely concealed are two different things

I don't even think she has better mana detection than Frieren, which is what your post suggests. Remember back in Revolte arc Frieren had to point out where the demon who was concealing his mana was about to attack for Fern.

I'm not going to reply to your argument that Frieren has better mana detection than Fern. I think that's open to interpretation. I just want to point out that Fern didn't fail to detect that demon because her mana detection wasn't good enough; rather, she couldn't detect him because she was distracted out of panic. The problem with Fern that chapter highlighted is her lack of confidence and how she ends up panicking when she's out of her comfort zone.

Dex-chan lover
I don't feel as bad about this old dude and his unit of secret murderers as I do for all those mages they've killed.

Double-page supporter
Honestly Im more interested in know who decide to kill several mages that in the previous chapter was stated that even "some of them even contributed to the kingdom", wich mean is no only traitors but "inconvenient" people, where Frieren is one of them.

Obviously we can say is was just an case of "She served us killing the Demon King, but she is too powerfull to trust in her", but I thing it would be more interesting think in the implication of a underlying plot

Users who are viewing this thread