Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Killing Magic

Dex-chan lover
Imagine knowing someone but only noticing that you were in love with them when they’ve already left

@Pyoro Größe can also be translated to extent or greatness, there's also the possibility that the intended word was große what means simply big or great

but really, as a german i'm just laughing about all these german words used as names

Banned
I suppose in most fictional scenarios the act of sealing a demon because nobody can kill it just seems like an arbitrary plot hook so someone else can have some drama further down the line...
... but I guess it makes sense in this case. Still, dedicating an entire chapter to that nonsense is kinda overkill. Obsolescence isn't such a big twist that it warrants an entire chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Man this manga it's like a straight shot of pure melancholy... I both hate it and love it

Aggregator gang
This has the same energy as those journey mangas. Stories that are told within the stories themselves. We get to see a part of people's lives in just a chapter. We see the endings of stories, yet the actual story doesn't end yet. It makes you think about the other characters, no matter how minor. What the word sonder would mean. Similar to Majo no Tabitabi and how I assume the plan-to-watch Kino no Tabi will be like.

I think I'm starting to like a new genre

Dex-chan lover
idk why but it feels like kinda have nostalgic feeling when reading this manga... somehow my memories of childhood is passing by when reading this... its really light and warm.. i really wanted they r trying to make this into anime.

the hero was a perv and had probably wanted a life with frieren, but deep inside he had known that frieren had other plans. and its why he never got married. hoping that one day she would have come back and told her.

Wow, the part about how magic developed in 80 years so that his killing magic was now just considered ordinary was super cool. I totally wasn't expecting that. Very cool details!

Double-page supporter
That defensive magic reminded me of World Trigger kk'

@sotiCoto i guess you are the kind of guy who reads NTR because vanilla things doesn’t arouse you anymore huh? Overly saturated kind of nerd

Banned
@Heylel : Don't be ridiculous. I dislike NTR... unless the guy getting cucked really fuckin deserves it... and even then it isn't great.

Contributor
@SotiCoto It's not that uncommon irl but I don't think I've seen it happen or explained in an isekai especially in the case of magic development. I've seen the opposite happen countless times though, such as magic becoming weaker after the mc gets reincarnated in the future.

I love both that his Killing Magic, and apparently magic in general, is/was effectively like technology, and his had been studied by others and eventually became something akin to being "outdated", in that everyone had "caught up" to it and how it worked and what it was.

...but also that he was able to more or less instantly hone in on the flaws of the newer defensive techniques solely from a basic description of it. He may have died like a complete mook, but I can believe that he was actually a pretty decent spellcaster back in his day.

Users who are viewing this thread