Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 12 Ch. 114 - The Hero's Blade

Dex-chan lover
It's not a replica anymore, it is a Hero's sword, just not THE Hero's sword.
He went from wanting to recover a work he was ashamed of to being proud to have made the hero's "partner", the sword that felled the demon lord.
The original Great Hero in this story was the elven warrior Kraft (now a priest) and we can see in Ch. 34 that the legendary Hero's Sword was HIS sword. It is very likely that the Village of Swords "prophecy" about the hero coming to pick up the real Hero's Sword was a garbled transmission of Kraft, after retiring, leaving his sword there and telling them that one day if he's needed again he would come back to pick up the sword. We already have a similar story with the elf who hid the legendary booze. Basically the elves leave crazy legends in their wake then promptly forget or cease to care about them. The real reason no one - including Himmel - have been able to pick up the sword is simply because they're not Kraft.

So, yeah, Himmel has always been the true hero and he'd never needed Kraft's original sword. The replica did quite well as the true hero's sword and it ended up being buried in the hands of its hero.

I think the journey to the past really happened. In the first chapter, the party was content letting Frieren leave despite their attachment to her. I think that's because they'd spent this part of the adventure knowing the future Frieren would remember them and would be changed by their adventure together. They'd said their proper goodbyes.

reu

Dex-chan lover
That’s the Younger version of the Fern back when she first joined the party
my dude, that's clearly Fern's pupil... Fern. Just realized 1-that I'm very stupid, and 2-how similar Fern's name is to Frieren.
It'd be fun if Heiter named her Fern as diminutive of the name Frieren, because she has his little mage. Pity that can't be canon because Fern was already preschool age by the time Heiter found her.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
There is something extremely melancholic about this chapter, or in fact about this whole manga.

Himmel rejecting a better sword and keeping the replica... his whole approach to life about nothing being a waste and the success being the stuff that is done on the way.

Dex-chan lover
that doesn't line up with the facts. we outright know frieren lost a chunk of time while she was traveling with the hero's party. that almost perfectly lines up here
Do you remember which chapter this was mentioned in? I’d like to go back and see

Dex-chan lover
"There's no rule that says the imitation can't surpass the original"

Fed-Kun's army
I've always been a complete sucker for fake heroes becoming real heroes, and I guess that also applies to their swords.

Do you remember which chapter this was mentioned in? I’d like to go back and see
Chapter 107 page 8, 'It feels like a week's worth of memories fading". It seems like both future and past Frieren won't remember their experiences, sadly.

Dex-chan lover
"There's no rule that says the imitation can't surpass the original"
Sadly, in this case, it's reality. The replica is an objectively inferior sword compared to many others, even ones this dwarf has already made. It's just the hero being too strong. Though at their power levels, I'm not sure how much of a difference a sturdier or sharper sword would make

One of the best chapters in this manga for me along with the "The village of swords" chapter

props to Himmel. Not only refusing to take the real Holy Sword to merit his status, he's actually doing pure hero work to actually back up his claims of being a hero..
Technically, he didn't refuse to take the real Holy Sword, it's more like he couldn't pull it out. Nevertheless, he decided to go with the replica, consider it the real one and actually defeated the Demon King with it.

Dex-chan lover
Just a reminder that Himmel tried to pull the actual real legit Hero's Blade but failed. The sword simply didn't acknowledge him.

Didn't stop him from defeating the Demon King. It may be a replica but he never needed the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread