Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 12 Ch. 117 - Miraculous Illusion

Dex-chan lover
Hnnn, personally not a fan of seeing Frieren get forced into a wedding dress. My best friend is aroace and it bothered me when a mutual friend joked about shipping us together.

Surely, Himmel will recall Frieren is aroace, not disrespect her by indulging in the illusion, and thus easily break out of it! Cmon, Himmel! (I don't have actual high hopes, tropes being what they are, but it would be nice...)
Frieren is not canonically confirmed to be aroace -- you're making assumptions based on her lack of romantic and sexual actions and understanding.

I do agree I'm not a fan of the framing in general of the wedding dress though, it feels like it's just here for fanservice.

Of course, neither explanation explains why or how Frieren could spend time analyzing the monument and succeed when we know our Frieren has not, creating confusion in what's going on (as how could Frieren analyze a monument she hasn't analyzed). A possibility that does explain this, however, is that future Frieren, after the end of the story, analyzed the monument and figured out how it works, and then went to a time between the two incidents to carve the name of the spell onto the monument, with Frieren not remembering it because of the effects of the monument on memory.

Uh...what? Frieren isn't the one who etched the return spell onto the monument, nor was she ever successful in deciphering it. That was done by the other members of the Hero Party after they had defeated the Demon King. Obviously Frieren at the time wouldn't know this because she spent 50 years wandering around other places.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I don't like time traveling stuff too. It always makes things convoluted, not to mention the time paradox stuff and the plot holes.

As much as I love the current arc, I'm afraid this arc will make this manga's quality become lower. I hope I'm wrong.
don't think it will become lower
it's just 1 arc
a swing and a miss, this manga is still stellar, masterpiece candidate

Fed-Kun's army
"an idyllic dream one believes would never come true" himmel doesn't believe they can defeat the demon king and make peace in the world? the wedding is to be expected but the defeat of demons??? himmel???

Dex-chan lover
Uh...what? Frieren isn't the one who etched the return spell onto the monument, nor was she ever successful in deciphering it. That was done by the other members of the Hero Party after they had defeated the Demon King. Obviously Frieren at the time wouldn't know this because she spent 50 years wandering around other places.
Then I guess I misunderstood that part. Legitimately didn't even consider Heiter carrying the team to victory (as always) as a possibility, but he did save the day and cut out most incongruencies I saw.

This is now a Heiter appreciation post

Dex-chan lover
Its that easy and giving an excuse of 'mana' is really disrespecting all the previous arcs and developments.

Not to mention after she deciphered Di Agolze, she:
1. Redo the transmutation of an entire region from gold (which included all the people back to life from their time slumber)
2. She proceed to make and cast an anti-Di Agolze spell to Denken
3. Having a battle of attrition against the great and annoyingly cute demon Solitar (also killing her off)
Fern killed Solitar. Frieren couldn't do it because she wasn't fast enough to land clean hits through the openings of Solitar's defense.

Also, I don't know why you're assuming that Frieren learning to reverse Di Agolze means she can cast the spell. It's not the same thing. For instance, Match could cast the spell but couldn't reverse it, except on himself.

Last edited:
Contributor
Its that easy and giving an excuse of 'mana' is really disrespecting all the previous arcs and developments.

Not to mention after she deciphered Di Agolze, she:
1. Redo the transmutation of an entire region from gold (which included all the people back to life from their time slumber)
2. She proceed to make and cast an anti-Di Agolze spell to Denken
3. Having a battle of attrition against the great and annoyingly cute demon Solitar (also killing her off)

I hate to say it myself that i might start to dislike the Author if he did chose to go with the writer amnesia syndrome. Its just because i love this manga so much that i dont want to see it being degraded like this.

I hope all is well and we go back to resume our journey with my dearest loveable duo fern & stark. ♥️
Nope.
1. she undid the magic (which is not casting it, it means coming up with a countermeasure, and she says it clearly, as she was already able to cure one of her arms, but still did not know the spell)
2. as per above, this is not relevant to casting the same magic (also, when? Denken has the anti-everything magic, Mys-something)
3. as per #1, this not relevant to casting a specific magic (plus, Solitar was killed by Fern, chapter 102, page 14 in mangadex reader)

well, for number 1 and 2 we really can't tell who's right or wrong since the principles of magic are... well, magic, not science, so what the hell.
but number 3, mate, come on

Can't wait until Himmel says "I'll smash that illusion of yours!" then proceeds to punch everyone in the illusion before waking up and punching all the demons into submission.
LMAO.
This is Touma style of emancipation 😂
No gender, no race, everyone will get punched.

Dex-chan lover
Very demon-like to twist pure love into something sinister.
At least people who dies by his hand dies happy. For an all powerful mind demon he could choose to terrorise them to death.
It's kind of merciful in a way.

But we all know he does it only because it's the more practical.

Dex-chan lover
Can't wait until Himmel says "I'll smash that illusion of yours!" then proceeds to punch everyone in the illusion before waking up and punching all the demons into submission.
I'm sure Himmel think "I'll smash that illusion of yours!" but not by punching it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nope.
1. she undid the magic (which is not casting it, it means coming up with a countermeasure, and she says it clearly, as she was already able to cure one of her arms, but still did not know the spell)
2. as per above, this is not relevant to casting the same magic (also, when? Denken has the anti-everything magic, Mys-something)
3. as per #1, this not relevant to casting a specific magic (plus, Solitar was killed by Fern, chapter 102, page 14 in mangadex reader)

well, for number 1 and 2 we really can't tell who's right or wrong since the principles of magic are... well, magic, not science, so what the hell.
but number 3, mate, come on

Regarding number 2, about when Frieren cast an anti-Di Algoze spell on Denken, we can read it in chapter 98 page 6 (using mangadex reader).

Apparently the next chapter is on December 6, since Japanese magazines (including the one Frieren is published in) have a weird dating system where the "last issue of the year" is towards the end of November. So when the raws for this chapter say the next chapter is in the "2nd issue of the new year" that means Issue #2 for 2024, which in normal time means first week of December. For reference this chapter was published in Issue #51/52 for 2023, so yeah next chapter is "only" 3 weeks from now rather than the initially thought 2-ish months.
Thanks for clarifying. Forgot this release schedule is a thing.

Dex-chan lover
Himmel is going to turn his back on the illusion.
He's the great hero after all, and he knows and accepts the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread