Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 12 Ch. 117 - Miraculous Illusion

Can't believe that artist is taking a break up to the next year huh. During a cliffhanger to say at the least.

Yeah I don't like time traveling stuff too. It always makes things convoluted, not to mention the time paradox stuff and the plot holes.

At least I'm 98% sure that we're at the end of this. Still better than the competition arc though if it is.

Can't believe that artist is taking a break up to the next year huh. During a cliffhanger to say at the least.

Apparently the next chapter is on December 6, since Japanese magazines (including the one Frieren is published in) have a weird dating system where the "last issue of the year" is towards the end of November. So when the raws for this chapter say the next chapter is in the "2nd issue of the new year" that means Issue #2 for 2024, which in normal time means first week of December. For reference this chapter was published in Issue #51/52 for 2023, so yeah next chapter is "only" 3 weeks from now rather than the initially thought 2-ish months.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That's the future we all hope to see, it's so dirty to make it just an illusion

Dex-chan lover
So this means that in a Thousand Years the demons will win.
Meaning Frieren will die?

Dex-chan lover
Example #1259837 of how demons have no grasp on emotions or feelings. They're just monsters that can speak

Dex-chan lover
Oh god, don't hurt me like this 😭💔 I love Himmel so much. This is just too much pain

Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure it's that easy, maybe it requires to much mana to use
Its that easy and giving an excuse of 'mana' is really disrespecting all the previous arcs and developments.

Not to mention after she deciphered Di Agolze, she:
1. Redo the transmutation of an entire region from gold (which included all the people back to life from their time slumber)
2. She proceed to make and cast an anti-Di Agolze spell to Denken
3. Having a battle of attrition against the great and annoyingly cute demon Solitar (also killing her off)

I hate to say it myself that i might start to dislike the Author if he did chose to go with the writer amnesia syndrome. Its just because i love this manga so much that i dont want to see it being degraded like this.

I hope all is well and we go back to resume our journey with my dearest loveable duo fern & stark. ♥️

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for another fantastic chapter!
Himmel is going to shatter this illusion like the GOAT he is.
Eisen may not be the GOAT, but he is still pretty f**king awesome.

Dex-chan lover
Ugh, I'm really ready for this arc to be over. I don't like time travel stuff -- especially so when it isn't the central conceit of the series so only part of the plot is built around it. The only way this ends is either the future is completely unchanged which makes any threats presented impotent, or the future gets changed which makes all the time we've spent before the time travel weaker because it gets overwritten. We already had a method to explore the past in the form of Frieren's and other people's memories of them. Was going to the past for an extended period of time really necessary?

It also makes it feel like this series is all about Frieren. The framing from the start of the series was that Frieren's old journey was over but she would meet new people and make new connections. Now we're just forgoing all those new people to dive deeper on her and the past.
If it makes you feel any better, we already know what almost certainly happens, in that Frieren has presumably already gone back in time at least once in the past the first time she analyzed the monument, meaning we know the aftereffect of the spell, and because the spell was on the monument at the start of the arc, the events in the arc had already happened before they arrived, meaning it was set in stone to happen anyway. This means that we can pretty reasonably assume that the arc will end with Frieren returning to the present with a blurry memory of her time travelling, but will still have the feeling of closeness to the Hero's Party that was strengthened by her present self and understanding spending time with them.

Another possibility is that the monument temporarily replaces past Frieren with present Frieren, so the blurry memory was actually past Frieren not having been conscious while present Frieren was in control, which also explains why present Frieren seems to not remember this at all despite the fact it had to had already happened (as past Frieren never knew, so our Frieren wouldn't know)

Of course, neither explanation explains why or how Frieren could spend time analyzing the monument and succeed when we know our Frieren has not, creating confusion in what's going on (as how could Frieren analyze a monument she hasn't analyzed). A possibility that does explain this, however, is that future Frieren, after the end of the story, analyzed the monument and figured out how it works, and then went to a time between the two incidents to carve the name of the spell onto the monument, with Frieren not remembering it because of the effects of the monument on memory.

Finally, while it isn't necessary, time travel offers us an entirely new way to see Frieren's adventure, as tales and recollections of the past are inherently recollections, it is Frieren looking back on the journey. This allows us to understand how Frieren feels towards the past, but it is limited in that they can only be introduced naturally if they have some bearing on the active storyline. Time travel, on the other hand, lets us focus on just the past without how it affects the present, which can give us a new avenue to explore Frieren's connections and how she has changed in the past 80 years, while also giving us a way to explore Frieren's motivations and why she still journey's in the present as well as how she feels towards the present.

I loved seeing Frieren in a wedding dress, but all this time-travel, memory illusions, and 0-100 power creep is really giving me a bad taste in my mouth. Hoping to all hope that Yamada-san can pull it off and then move on to more normal stuff.

Hnnn, personally not a fan of seeing Frieren get forced into a wedding dress. My best friend is aroace and it bothered me when a mutual friend joked about shipping us together.

Surely, Himmel will recall Frieren is aroace, not disrespect her by indulging in the illusion, and thus easily break out of it! Cmon, Himmel! (I don't have actual high hopes, tropes being what they are, but it would be nice...)
You're projecting.

Users who are viewing this thread