Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - Articulate Monsters

Double-page supporter
Idk about you but humans not at the top of the food chain scares me, time for some genocide

Dex-chan lover
Demons in this manga appear similar to maladapted psychopaths, but of course psychiatrical labels of dysfunctionality don't apply well to other species. In that sense, Frieren is rather fair to compare them to beasts even with the obvious negativity removed. Their tendencies are simply a set of biopsychosocial mechanisms wholly different from humans and more comparable to predatory animals if they were sentient, with behaviors governed by power hierarchy and drives.

Dex-chan lover
@Bootybug that's as far as the humans are aware and what the demons claim. Most logical scenario is she purposely waited for the hero to die to come out, because she's so deathly afraid of him or she thinks the hero would interfere with soft power.

@ligerhero I did not sugest re-educating or any of the sort though. I just said that if they so wished, they'd be able to join human society, as they're not biologically impaired to do so. It's not like vampires, for example, who have a need to consume humans to maintain themselves. In no part of my comment i sugested that a cultural cleansing were to take place and that they had to be educated as humans.

The comment about them being able to mix into human society is just to show that they're not inherently evil, to illustrate how they seem like just human psycopaths. Their culture and history makes them be at odds against humanity, but that's not result of a world rule that demons must be bad and against humans.

The demon girl from the hero party's memory seemed to want to mix into the village's society, she just really messed up understanding humans. If she was just an evil being she'd either wait till the hero and party went away to devour the whole village or wouldn't waste her time with the village chief's family

Fed-Kun's army
It's a pretty interesting take if it continues like this. Where demons really are just evil, or if nothing else, utterly amoral and alien to the point that humans are incomprehensible vermin to them. Normally this is the point where someone in the MC's party learns that maybe they're not so bad after all or they just need to learn about humanity or they were being manipulated or etc etc

But in this universe they could be completely irredeemable or incapable of co-existing with humans.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter makes me unbelievably happy. No more "misunderstood happy sympathy character change" stuff going on, just the understanding that in a fantasy world true evil can exist and unrelenting racial prejudice is not necessarily wrong. The wise, long lived elves are the only ones who know of the true nature of demons, and are cursed to spectate as those who ignore them are doomed over and over again, never learning their lesson.

Dex-chan lover
Funny how KireiCake uses this same magical word to get more payments on his patreon.

Banned
... Seems to me that girl really did want to understand. She just didn't get the idea that you can't just replace a lost daughter from one family with a different daughter from another family. Her concepts of how humanity work were too different to how they really work... the natures of the races too alien to each other.
And it seems they just executed her out of ignorance of that... not that I suppose they could have done any differently, but the reason is indicative of other things.

Anyhow.. that little side-commentary from the demon on the couch was beyond stupid. A predator wouldn't regard themselves in such a manner, let alone actively discuss it out loud in the language they supposedly only use to deceive.

Even if some aspects of this are portrayed in a somewhat original manner, it doesn't change the fact that there are glaring holes in all of this.

Dex-chan lover
Wow. That's a unique concept for 'demons' in the fantasy manga world. Most fantasy manga describe demons as 'humans, but with horns and magical power'. This manga is more dark and fitting, exactly like Dungeon Meshi: demons speak the human tongue to deceive humans, so they can feast on them.

Really interesting take on demons. You will never see that in the current Western media, you have to sympathize with everything.

I am amazed that in a chapter where it is clearly stated that Demons lie to manipulate people and get them to let their guard down (and revealed by a Demon to be true, though I assume he is speaking in a Demonic language to his companions, not human language, when he acknowledges it), that so many people in the comments are saying: "The demon girl says she wants to live peacefully to humans, so she must be telling the truth." Why do people keep accepting her words as accurate when the chapter tells us that she is only using those words to manipulate people (and she says so, even when she dies)?

Fed-Kun's army
Japanese Manga where they paint demons in their original true light (evil)?
I'll be surprised if they keep this narrative into the next chapter!

Fed-Kun's army
@throwaway4ccount

There has been so much brainwashing going on that most people have only read "good" things/stories about demons.
Like nearly all modern manga out of Japan has demons painted as the good guys.
The original ancient stories portrayed them as evil entities just like this story does.

It's kind of crazy in the sense that at one point what was cliche, became another cliche, and now it is back to being something that might be considered "original" by this generation.
INTERESTING

The story itself somewhat paints this well, where a town/peoples have gone complacent to the true nature of things.

Users who are viewing this thread