Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 41 - Moment for Resolve

@Despada
I actually find this whole situation laughable. They're running low on mages as a whole. Instead of trying to maintain any semblance of care in growing their numbers, they're making the promotion tests harder and practically promoting the killing of mages...

"1st class mage" means they trust them with "1st class" missions that if fucked up will mean lots of other people die. Few mages live mean nothing to the whole city later.

le3

Dex-chan lover
Did this woman just use the 'talk with your enemy during battle' troupe as a trap? She's a demon! A demon!!!

This generic tournament arc has been pretty terrible. Like 5 chapters and basically nothing has happened. There was the small bit about the childhood friend mages, but realistically everything that has happened in the last 5 chapters could have been done in 1.

Dex-chan lover
@Undorian:
Btw. "Übel" means "bad", but in a way referring to a state of illness and is usually translated as "sick" or "queasy", so the author screwed that one up.
See DAS Übel, see üble Machenschaften, see üble(r) Verbrecher and so on.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_%C3%9Cbel

E: @Throwawail
@Undorian
id disagree. Übel can very much just mean a strong evil, as in, say, "Ein notwendiges Übel"
I agree if you scratch the "strong" since it all depends on context and so on.

https://dict.leo.org/german-english/%C3%BCbel
E2: The leo link is quite neat.

The worst things about these chapters is realizing it'll be 7 more days till you get to read the next one.

As for it being a silly way to test mages... Sorta. You do want them to have battle experience, and safe battles are an oxymoron. That said there does seem to be too much wasted potential here, and there is probably a reason why magic certification societies change "every other day" (according to Frieren anyways FWTW), and disapproval of the tests and testing standards is probably a large contributor to that. I wouldn't be surprised if some such statement was made - it'd be very in line with the tone of the manga.

Dex-chan lover
It’s weird to talk about them running low on mages when they’re in a time of peace and it’s been hinted that mages have been persecuted and imprisoned for political reasons just last chapter.

Remember what happened with Aura’s army, people. Because of the barriers, the demons haven’t been able to make any real headway into invading the humans. There are examples like with Stark’s village of small of small communities being exterminated, but I would guess that the humans as a whole just don’t feel the threat because their bigger cities are essentially safe (and that’s what made it possible for Aura’s subordinates to deceive their way into the city).

Considering both the desire for “elites” as well as the desire to limit the political power of mages, this exam is perfectly in line with the apparent political atmosphere of the world.

Dex-chan lover
@Cyclone001

Frieren has a rather long view on life, I imagine that so long she doesn't end up in a place without any progress, no written history or innovation she'd say that society changes daily.

Double-page supporter
Intentionally delaying the end of the fight to build the resolve to kill his enemy is a nice touch. It really humanizes this character in a way that just making him a quick killer wouldn't.

PAGE 4 FRIEREN VENTED 😳 DID SHE JUST SAY AMOGUS 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 MY DAD BEAT ME 😱😱😱😱😱😭😭😭 IM IN GREAT PAIN.🤣🤣🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread