Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 5 Ch. 42 - Reason for Fighting

Dex-chan lover
@SerpensR
Seriously. It's such a unique and interesting pacing with surprising deliberation and fleshing out of all the characters we see. Everyone has serious, silly, deadly, ambitious, fearful and so on sides to them. People were whining previously about how the test is "too deadly" and now people are whining it's not shounen#1039812039812. In particular, these are all mages, squishy people who fight with their heads and massive amounts of difficult studying and training. They're in a challenging exam to get ranked the very best, with the confidence to win, and had to endure significant hardship to even make it to this place. It completely fits that they're generally going to be pretty deliberate about their actions and not get riled easily.

Dex-chan lover
@Ithnan because of pacing, the goal and ending of this series is pretty clear from the start and they already covered at last 60-70% of their journey.

Dex-chan lover
I loved this chapter, so much info on how magic works and people use it. Frieren and Fern just use the basic but seeing talented mages using advanced magic is quite interesting!

Dex-chan lover
Phew really though Fern had killed a human for a second.

Hope all the other mages other than Ubel don't kill for the sake of killing lol. Which seems they don't, so far.

Wirbel is a great character lol

Wonder what Frieren is gonna do.

to add: loving this arc :)

@sherlock0790 just to add this is a medieval society so even though Frieren is probobly still considerded famous their wouldn't be a lot of accurate depictions of her. only paintings and statues that she was willing to pose for. Given her personality I doubt there are any. So given that she avoided the larger mage community in the 80 years after Himmel's death, it would be easy to hide her identity long as she has a good fake id.

Dex-chan lover
Typical. A series starts winning awards and suddenly every one starts feeling the need to nitpick at every little thing in order to criticize the series and downplay its quality.

@ilusatus Wirbel is 33 or 34, and met his crush when he was 4 or 5. Fern isn't even 20 yet.

Dex-chan lover
Fern is a perfect actor with her emotionless face and Frieren simply doesn't care

plot twist, Frieren let the stille get stolen. Also seems like Frieren got her confidence in her blow kisses from her master; how cute indeed.

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, I don't think this is a bad arc, I just don't like it, really. What drew me to this manga was how small-scale and personal it was, just a small handful of people retreading the steps of their friends and mentors to talk to their ghosts. There was this wistful and nostalgic atmosphere to everything, even the demon city arc, that I feel has gotten a bit missing ever since we started this hogwarts shounen tournament story. At first I thought it'd be more about solving some type of puzzle through cooperation, but it's a lot more straightforward battle with a bunch of likely one-off characters that I can't really care about, what with them being introduced in the middle of a combat scenario where they might die at any moment.

Dex-chan lover
The longer this arc goes the more I agree with that one lad's crack theory about how demons infiltrated local Ministry of Magic and did their best to sabotage it.

The downside of Frieren being in a standoff is that she can't be in gag panels :(

Dex-chan lover
Average mdex readers cant stand seinen pacing...nothing new to see here.
Guess my man scarface couldve just frozen a bird with his eyes magic had they found one earlier but then their team would most likely down a person if those birds need to be constantly restrained.
Guess slicey dicey goth girl isnt that much of a psycho either since she gave up the attack after getting called out but shes still evil as fuck.

@Spicykun Technically that's not true. We've seen statues of all 4 members of the hero party in the manga. We also know that the psycho goth girl knows about Aura the Guillotine's death. You'd think that ESPECIALLY among the mage community the name Frieren would be known, and if her exploits of the hero party were forgotten, then someone would put two and two together in light of the more recent passing of Aura. You'd think the first question asked by anyone would be "who stopped her?". I'm frankly baffled how Frieren's managed to stay semi-anonymous during the exam while openly using her real name.
As for the arc, it's not what I fell in love with the series for, which makes it a little disappointing, but a "bad" Frieren chapter is still head and shoulders above almost anything else. So another week wait... alas.

Users who are viewing this thread